General MMA thread

TedHankey

Bellator have a huge event this weekend in Madison Square Garden, NYC. There is a fantastic card for the night, headlined by Chael Sonnen v Wanderlei Silva and (the legend) Fedor Emelianenko v Matt Mitrione, as well as title fights at LW and WW. Michael Chandler should deal with Primus cofortably at LW but the welterweight title fight should be a cracker.

The big fight is on the undercard though with James "The Strabanimal" Gallagher going up against Chinzo Machida of Brazil at featherweight. Gallagher, fighting out of John Kavanagh's SBG and a teammate of McGregor, is a serious fighter with a record of 6-0 with 5 wins by submission. Machida is the older brother of UFC fighter Lyoto, and while he may not be anything like the same level as his brother, should still pose a test for the young Strabane fighter.

Full Card
Bellator 180

James Gallagher Bio
James Gallagher

Any thoughts/interest?

TedHankey

[video=youtube;enukQou13cM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enukQou13cM[/video]

TedHankey

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
James Gallagher headlining at the O2 in November, VERY impressive in New York, should be a full house.

Ticketmaster - Promotions

TedHankey

Neil Seery fought his last fight the weekend just gone. He lost the fight in round 3 by submission but put on a great performance for a 37 year old. He's had a good career and was a tough fighter and seems like a sensible lad.

[video=youtube;5vH8GBGu1JU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vH8GBGu1JU[/video]

Outlaw101

Neil Seery fought his last fight the weekend just gone. He lost the fight in round 3 by submission but put on a great performance for a 37 year old. He's had a good career and was a tough fighter and seems like a sensible lad.

[video=youtube;5vH8GBGu1JU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vH8GBGu1JU[/video]
Interesting interview.

He did well to get into the UFC at the end of his career and make a few euro. Decent fighter who always put on a performance.

Not sure I agree with his opinion on Unions. Especially when he seemed to raise issues of young fighters needing to get advice from older fighters and the abyss retired fighters find themselves in, issues which are usually dealt with by a union. He has a full time job and a family and seems fairly level headed so I'm sure he will find his way.

TedHankey

Interesting interview.

He did well to get into the UFC at the end of his career and make a few euro. Decent fighter who always put on a performance.

Not sure I agree with his opinion on Unions. Especially when he seemed to raise issues of young fighters needing to get advice from older fighters and the abyss retired fighters find themselves in, issues which are usually dealt with by a union. He has a full time job and a family and seems fairly level headed so I'm sure he will find his way.
Yeah, I'd agree on the union point. Really a necessity given the power and the organizational attitude of the UFC particularly.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Title holder Daniel Cormier vs Jon Jones, though I like DC, it has to be said Jones is an outstanding athlete - when he's not getting into trouble with drink and drugs. Also Tyron Woodley defends his welterweight belt against Demian Maia while Cristiane ‘Cyborg’ Justino and Tonya Evinger vie for the women’s featherweight title. Cyborg to continue her winning ways while I fancy Demian Maia in the other fight.

Paddy Powers odds UFC - MMA Betting odds | Paddy Power

Outlaw101

Title holder Daniel Cormier vs Jon Jones, though I like DC, it has to be said Jones is an outstanding athlete - when he's not getting into trouble with drink and drugs. Also Tyron Woodley defends his welterweight belt against Demian Maia while Cristiane ‘Cyborg’ Justino and Tonya Evinger vie for the women’s featherweight title. Cyborg to continue her winning ways while I fancy Demian Maia in the other fight.

Jones did not impress in his last fight and the last time he finished someone was over 4 years ago. I don't think there is much between them.

Damian Mia wasn't impressive against Masvidal with his split decision win last time, before that he beat Condit who has not fought since and was coming of the back of an absolute war with Robbie Lawlor and Matt Brown who has lost 5 of his last 6. I just wonder how good the form really is with him. Woodley didn't have a great fight last time but he has a big punch and if he hits Maia with it then he could be lights out. There is a height difference between the two but Wonderboy was considerably taller and he pretty much knocked him out in both fights.

The card is very good to be fair.

Robbie Lawlor v. Donald Cerrone - Both are slow starters but I just wonder if Lawlors chin is gone. Against anyone else I'd be quiet sweet on him getting knocked out.

Manuwa v. Oezdemir - You'd imagine the fight will end with a KO.

TedHankey

Looks like a fantastic card P, can't wait. The 3 headliners could go either way fro me, and Lawler/Cowboy should be good too. The Knight/Lamas fight, headlining the undercard, should be a cracker, Jason Knight is a tough cookie. No Irish interest but for anyone interested in combat sports, this is probably the best UFC card to date. All live on BT Sport 2.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Jones did not impress in his last fight and the last time he finished someone was over 4 years ago. I don't think there is much between them.

Damian Mia wasn't impressive against Masvidal with his split decision win last time, before that he beat Condit who has not fought since and was coming of the back of an absolute war with Robbie Lawlor and Matt Brown who has lost 5 of his last 6. I just wonder how good the form really is with him. Woodley didn't have a great fight last time but he has a big punch and if he hits Maia with it then he could be lights out. There is a height difference between the two but Wonderboy was considerably taller and he pretty much knocked him out in both fights.

The card is very good to be fair.

Robbie Lawlor v. Donald Cerrone - Both are slow starters but I just wonder if Lawlors chin is gone. Against anyone else I'd be quiet sweet on him getting knocked out.

Manuwa v. Oezdemir - You'd imagine the fight will end with a KO.
Jones back to business, hopefully his old habits wouldn't get him into trouble again, what an athlete when he is on form. Dana White can barely mask his dislike of Woodley and I can't blame him, though it's as much Maia's fault as it was Woodley's. Cyborg doing what we knew she would, still the tough Tonya Evinger did well to take her to the third.

Jones after finishing DC

TedHankey

DC is champion again !! Jones must have blew his last chance with the UFC, he'll probably end up sleeping on a park bench some day :|

Report: Jon Jones Fails UFC 214 In-Competition Drug Test
Fukkin unbelievable! OK, we know that he's all gangsta and all, but how many chances do you give the lad? And that stuff during the 214 buildup about turning a new leaf!

Reckon you're bang on, he won't fight in the UFC again, and I can't see another promoter throwing the kind of money at him that he could have made in the UFC, had he kept his nose clean. It's frustrating to watch, as a fighter Jones is a true artist, a phenomenon of MMA, an incredible talent. But it looks like a wasted one...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies