• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

generation snowflake and attachment issues

silverharp

so where did generation snowflake come from? attachment issues from kids that are being raised by employees in childcare. on top of that guilty parents who feel guilty about off loading them. then throw in unstructured families

is it as bad as it sounds?, do you need to break some eggs to make an omelette and some casualties along the way are acceptable or is it creating a structural problem which will profoundly effect the make up of large amounts of people in the future?

A generation of 'little savages' raised in nurseries as daycare is linked to aggression in toddlers | Daily Mail Online

A rapid increase in nursery places has led to a generation of violent ‘little savages’, psychologist Oliver James has warned.

Mr James, the best-selling author of books on child-rearing, said ministerial proposals to allow childcarers to look after more youngsters would fuel aggression in the under-threes which would have lasting effects.

Shoving youngsters in to nurseries was simply ‘warehousing’ them so that the government could push mothers back to work to reap income for the Exchequer, he argued.

Nursery places in Britain have expanded at the same time as a rise in violence in primary school classrooms.

The author of How Not to F*** Them Up said: ‘We start off as Barbarians and what makes us civilised is being loved and looked after.

[video=youtube;NQP3bsv600s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQP3bsv600s[/video]

Spanner Island

so where did generation snowflake come from? attachment issues from kids that are being raised by employees in childcare. on top of that guilty parents who feel guilty about off loading them. then throw in unstructured families

is it as bad as it sounds?, do you need to break some eggs to make an omelette and some casualties along the way are acceptable or is it creating a structural problem which will profoundly effect the make up of large amounts of people in the future?

A generation of 'little savages' raised in nurseries as daycare is linked to aggression in toddlers | Daily Mail Online

Looks like the usual short-term gain/long-term pain 'strategy' which practically ALL politicians engage in these days.

Modern politics sucks... dictated by electoral cycles and PR parasites and media coaches while long-term planning has gone out the window.

Any revenue Government may make in the immediate future from orchestrating a culture where both parents work will probably be more than offset by the eventual costs of dealing with the f***ed up kids when they grow up in the medium/long term.

The problem is politicians don't give a f*** about the long-term because they'll all be long gone on their fat pensions leaving others to deal with their mess.

Last edited:

daveL

Daily Mail

File under hysterical rubbish

Dame_Enda

I think children suffer from prolonged absence of one or other parents. I was quite a demanding child and pined for my adoptive mother when she was away a long time. I had very bad relations with my distant but occasionally violent adoptive father.

Without denying women have a right to a career, I think employers should be incentivised to setup creches to help deal with the problem.

There is a serious problem with the growth of a Snowflake Generation that freaks out if you don't join the globalist, liberal herd mentality. Universities - once a hotbed of dissent e.g. 1968 - have instead progressively turned into hotbeds of conformism.

I straddle the fence. I am liberal on adult bedroom issues and ardently secularist, but very hardline on violent crime, burglary and immigration.

Last edited:

silverharp

Daily Mail

File under hysterical rubbish
At least attack the author being quoted with some studies rather than attack the particular paper its in. the last 20 or 30 years has been the biggest change in child rearing since humans moved out of caves. its unlikely there would be no issues.

realistic1

Would not agree with the above, but I know woman in my workplace that despair that they are forced into the workplace due to financial reasons.

Civic_critic2

The problem is politicians don't give a f*** about the long-term because they'll all be long gone on their fat pensions leaving others to deal with their mess.
That is not to say that long-term planning is absent from our societies, it is engaged in by think-tanks and business organisations who see to it that their medium and long-term policies are effectuated through lobbying, placing people in strategic positions and ensuring the right people are making the 'right' decisions in the media, education and elsewhere.

It could be said that the western party political system, slated for being short-termist and captured by election cycles, is in fact a long-term means of moderating and excluding any real challenge to the fundamental economic interests of those who really run things. It is a means of ensuring that business is not discommoded or threatened by the possibility of any new road taken politically by the population from election to election - these elections take place within strict parameters that ensure the continuity of economic power.

Ironically the cry of short-termism may help them to mask the actual operation of longer run policies from the population, who are given to understand that no such thing exists. Just as the hysteria generated over debts convinces everyone that 'there's no money available' - and so the establishment can drive on with an attack on wages and living standards because everyone helpfully agrees that all arguments, pro and anti, must take place within a common agreement that there actually is no money - so the claim that politics is short-termist plays into the hands of those who wish to effect longer-run change without being challenged or even perceived to exist while doing so. But social engineering for political ends does exist.

If there is no money at the beginning of the 21st century after almost 3/4's of a century of incredible technological development, then how come after the second world war with devastated economies, millions dead, countries bombed to pieces and suffering from incredible debt due to their war exertions the western countries were nonetheless able to build up their industrial capacity quickly and ensure housing for all, health care for all and education for all?

The answer is that there was money then and there's money now. The worldwide propaganda that there's no money left is a cover for creating the limits of a debate within which an epochal attack on labour rights and living standards is to take place unchallenged - they intend to send us back to the Victorian era.

Other than all that I agree with what you say about political short-termism.

Last edited:

daveL

At least attack the author being quoted with some studies rather than attack the particular paper its in. the last 20 or 30 years has been the biggest change in child rearing since humans moved out of caves. its unlikely there would be no issues.
seriously?

As for the Daily Mail - I don't see them referencing the countless other studies that say the exact opposite of what this study is putting forward..

But hey ho - generation snowflake sounds catchy eh!?

Socratus O' Pericles

Was it 1986 when we stopped sending small boys up chimneys?

My how time flies....

redacted

I think children suffer from prolonged absence of one or other parents. I was quite a demanding child and pined for my adoptive mother when she was away a long time. I had very bad relations with my distant but occasionally violent adoptive father.

Without denying women have a right to a career, I think employers should be incentivised to setup creches to help deal with the problem.

There is a serious problem with the growth of a Snowflake Generation that freaks out if you don't join the globalist, liberal herd mentality. Universities - once a hotbed of dissent e.g. 1968 - have instead progressively turned into hotbeds of conformism.

I straddle the fence. I am liberal on adult bedroom issues and ardently secularist, but very hardline on violent crime, burglary and immigration.
I was wondering how long it would take for the word "liberal" to appear in your post. Longer than I thought in fairness.

Can't we just shoot all the world's liberals. That would fix everything wouldn't it?

silverharp

seriously?
wouldn't kids up until the age of 3 or 4 have had easy access to their mothers in particular at any time in the past, not so much now. Objectively younger people have more mental health problems then in the past , depression and other issues, now whether this particular factor is only 10% of the reason or 50% is debatable but I'd find it difficult to eliminate it completely.

daveL

wouldn't kids up until the age of 3 or 4 have had easy access to their mothers in particular at any time in the past, not so much now. Objectively younger people have more mental health problems then in the past , depression and other issues, now whether this particular factor is only 10% of the reason or 50% is debatable but I'd find it difficult to eliminate it completely.
they had great access to mummy when down the mines

gatsbygirl20

"A generation of little savages raised in nurseries"......

What little savages?

Children today are less terrified of authority, less afraid of harsh discipline, and of teachers and adults with canes at the ready if the child does not immediately obey orders, etc....

But it is an exaggeration to refer to them as "savages" ....

There seems to be this tabloid need to exaggerate how awful taking care of children is, and how unmanageable the kids are.......You see this everywhere in newspaper articles "I spend most of my day cleaning nappy poo". "My days are spent cleaning food off the walls and stopping my toddler strangling the cat" "'my teenage daughter is totally embarrassed by me and flounces off slamming the door if I suggest X, Y or Z"

I will make a gross generalisation and say that kids today are happier, funnier, more spontaneous, better cared for than any time in history..

In general, young adults today are lovely--copped on, kind, educated....

Yes there are of course exceptions that always make the tabloid headlines.

The difficulty for young adults are largely economic......despair sometimes sets in when they realise that after all that education and effort, all that lies ahead is low pay, no pay, uncertain contracts, emigration...

They cannot move on into adult independence because house prices and even the cost of renting, are way beyond their means.

Adults used to be in despair about my generation also--they bemoaned our ungrateful behaviour, our campus rebellions, our refusal to conform or cut our hair and get a job, our noisy music....

So there's nothing new in this "kids these days are terrible" whining.

Ignore the tabloids.

The kids are fine.

reg11

"A generation of little savages raised in nurseries"......

What little savages?

Children today are less terrified of authority, less afraid of harsh discipline, and of teachers and adults with canes at the ready if the child does not immediately obey orders, etc....

But it is an exaggeration to refer to them as "savages" ....

There seems to be this tabloid need to exaggerate how awful taking care of children is, and how unmanageable the kids are.......You see this everywhere in newspaper articles "I spend most of my day cleaning nappy poo". "My days are spent cleaning food off the walls and stopping my toddler strangling the cat" "'my teenage daughter is totally embarrassed by me and flounces off slamming the door if I suggest X, Y or Z"

I will make a gross generalisation and say that kids today are happier, funnier, more spontaneous, better cared for than any time in history..

In general, young adults today are lovely--copped on, kind, educated....

Yes there are of course exceptions that always make the tabloid headlines.

The difficulty for young adults are largely economic......despair sometimes sets in when they realise that after all that education and effort, all that lies ahead is low pay, no pay, uncertain contracts, emigration...

They cannot move on into adult independence because house prices and even the cost of renting, are way beyond their means.

Adults used to be in despair about my generation also--they bemoaned our ungrateful behaviour, our campus rebellions, our refusal to conform or cut our hair and get a job, our noisy music....

So there's nothing new in this "kids these days are terrible" whining.

Ignore the tabloids.

The kids are fine.
Sure the kids are fine, it's the adults that are the problem. :)

For a minute I thought 'little savages' was 'little sausages'.

TiredOfBeingTired

Was it 1986 when we stopped sending small boys up chimneys?

My how time flies....
Ahhhh. Those was the good old days.
"Give me the child at seven and I'll have your chimley clean by half past."

Based on:
"Give me a child until he is seven and I will show you the man," was supposedly said by the founder of the Jesuits, St Ignatius Loyola

daveL

Ahhhh. Those was the good old days.
"Give me the child at seven and I'll have your chimley clean by half past."

Based on:
"Give me a child until he is seven and I will show you the man," was supposedly said by the founder of the Jesuits, St Ignatius Loyola
creepy in light of what many such men chose to do with these children..

they certainly robbed them of their innocence that's for sure

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies