• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Genuine Friendships Crossing Political Boundaries?

General Urko

I don't know what forum to place this one in, so mods please feel free to move as you see appropriate! What are the great loyal friendships that have crossed the political boundaries? Internationally, one of the most famous is Gary Hart(Dem) and John McCain (Rep) as Hart says - I would do anything for that man except vote for him!
In Ireland, John Bruton's best friend in politics was and is by all accounts Pee Flynn which may go someway to explain why he was left for a while as an EU commissioner under the former's taoiseachship!

harshreality

Wasn't there also rumours that Bertie and Rurai Quinn were great friends behind it all.

General Urko

Wasn't there also rumours that Bertie and Rurai Quinn were great friends behind it all.
I have no doubt that John Bruton and Ahern were on cordial terms though I cannot imagine John giving him a dig out!:lol:

Niall996

Robinson and McGuinness

General Urko

BTW on the opposite side of things, Dev and W.T. Cosgrave never spoke to each other outside the chamber!

gombeennation

'they' are all friends behind the pantomime curtain.
WWE has nothing on these fellas.
Sure the gobshlte on the left didnt even try to hammer da bert when he was telling lies at the mahon tribunal DURING AN ELECTION!!! thats what friends are for.

True Republican

george bush senior and bill clinton have been great friends for years.

Barnsleyfc

Apparently John Hume and Ian Paisley were,they even once had Xmas dinner together.
I've heard before that Noonan and Howlin are.

General Urko

Mary Coughlan was quite liked across the political spectrum, which may explain that while our pompous civil service were questioning her abilities, politicians were much more restrained!

sethjem7

There is a certain decorum in the political institutions within this country that stops the mainstream political parties from truly offending each other and creating real ideological divides - it is part of the problem IMO, it just seems to be a bit of political jostling and then it is all happy behind the scenes.

alloverbartheshouting

Mary Coughlan was quite liked across the political spectrum, which may explain that while our pompous civil service were questioning her abilities, politicians were much more restrained!
So, it was the good people of Donegal South-West what done it for Mary Coughlan? Or the teachers when she was made Minister for Education? Or perhaps the IDA when she was Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment?

Glad we cleared that up.

hiding behind a poster

'they' are all friends behind the pantomime curtain.
WWE has nothing on these fellas.
Sure the gobshlte on the left didnt even try to hammer da bert when he was telling lies at the mahon tribunal DURING AN ELECTION!!! thats what friends are for.

I think that's called the benefit of hindsight. Kenny had no way to prove that Ahern was lying about anything to do with the Tribunal. Saying " I know he's lying, I'll be proven right in 18 months time" during an election, would just make you look like a clot.