• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

George Lee resigns from Fine Gael and as a TD

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Just in......

Statement from George Lee TD.

I wish to announce that I have resigned from the Fine Gael Party and from my seat in Dáil Eireann today Monday 8th February 2010.

It has been a very difficult decision, but it is one that I have taken after a great deal of reflection on my position and on the role that I have been playing in Fine Gael since I
joined that Party in May last year.

The nine months since then have been a period of enormous economic upheaval. Throughout that period I have done my best to play a positive role in contributing to the national debate and to efforts to find a solution for many of the country’s economic problems.

The reality, however, is that despite my best efforts I have had virtually no influence or input into shaping Fine Gael’s economic policies at this most critical time.

The role I have been playing within the party has been very limited and I have found this to be personally unfulfilling.

When I entered politics last May I made it clear that I was doing so because I wanted to try to play a new role contributing to economic policy formulation. After nine months of trying within the political system it is now my considered view that the role available to me within Fine Gael is not a role I am happy to play.

I would like thank most sincerely all those who campaigned for me, for all of their efforts and support. I would also like to thank my Secretarial and Parliamentary Assistants for all of the help and work that they have provided to me.

I particularly want to thank the electorate of Dublin South who voted for me in such large numbers last May. It has been a great privilege and an honour to serve on their behalf. However, I do not believe I would be serving the electorate honestly if I were to continue allowing my efforts and mandate to be used to promote and market economic policies into which I have had no input.

kerrynorth

George Lee resigns from Fine Gael

Now on Newstalk.

He3

sad result for someone who thought political Ireland was open to change

kerrynorth

I do not know if this is a skit or not?

deepness

thats mad. He's been quiet recently too so obviously not happy.
Doesnt say much for Enda's leadership.

jmcc

This is definitely curtains for Enda.

Regards...jmcc

Pauli

It didn't take him long to realise what a waste of time, and in his case, a fine mind, politics in Dail Eireann is.

LDF

Holy F!ck. This is not good news for FG. Kenny could be in serious trouble now.

kerrynorth

He has also resigned his Dail seat! Meltdown for FG.

Eurocitizen

O my God just when I thought it could'nt get any better , bye bye Enda

Next Government FF/Lab

nonpartyboy

Hopefully this will wake the people up to what a sad farce of a circus dail eireann is.

kerrynorth

Dave - I think you can take George Lee off the next FG leader poll!! :)

Rebelman

Website
no1rebelman.bebo.com
Twitter
@kencurtin
Given the way he has been treated by FG this comes as no great surprise, Oliva O'Leary flagged this a few weeks in one of her drivetime radio columns. He has huge talent which the party ignored for thier own both selfish and shortsighted reasons and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Nodin

He joins a party, and expects after just 9 months to have "input into shaping Fine Gael’s economic policies at this most critical time."? Eejit.

Polytics.Irie

WOW!!!

Not that he has done this, but, WOW, we have a politician who stands for what he believes.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies