• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

George W. Bush Libruary Dedication - Thursday 25th April

H.R. Haldeman

The George W. Bush Library is to be dedicated on Thursday, an event that will be attended by all living Presidents. This has resulted in a flurry of re-assessments and many column inches on W's record and legacy.

First, on Presidential Libraries in general:

In the United States, the presidential library system is a nationwide network of 13 libraries administered by the Office of Presidential Libraries, which is part of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). These are repositories for preserving and making available the papers, records, collections and other historical materials of every President of the United States since Herbert Hoover.
Presidential library - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's Mr. Bush's, which is in Dallas, TX: Home - The George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum

A WaPo piece on the dedication:

George W. Bush will return to the spotlight this week for the dedication of his presidential library, an event likely to trigger fresh public debate about his eight fateful years in office. But he reemerges with a better public image than when he left Washington more than four years ago.

Since then, Bush has absented himself from both policy disputes and political battles. A new Washington Post-ABC News poll suggests that the passage of time and Bush’s relative invisibility have been beneficial to a chief executive who left office surrounded by controversy.
Bush library opening puts his presidency back in the spotlight - The Washington Post

And an article looking at the revival in his approval rating in recent times and whether history will rehabilitate him:

On the eve of the dedication of his presidential library, can George W. Bush be rehabilitated?

Such things have been known to happen.

Modern scholars, for instance, consistently rate Harry S. Truman in the first rank of American presidents. But when Truman left the White House in January 1953, he was one of the least respected chief executives in history—his nearly eight years in office beset by petty scandals, a lingering war in Korea and the indelible image of a ward-heeling haberdasher unworthy of the godlike legacy of Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
A George W. Bush Comeback? - The Daily Beast

Some other articles from this week:

George W. Bush legacy: It's not all bad. Slate Magazine
George W. Bush's higher approval ratings: The former president's legacy is looking more positive - and some Republicans aren't happy. - Slate Magazine
George W. Bush’s presidency, in 24 charts, WaPo Blogs

Lonewolfe

Is the misspelling of "library" in the OP some sort of ironic statement? ;)

JemmyR

The George W. Bush Library is to be dedicated on Thursday, an event that will be attended by all living Presidents. This has resulted in a flurry of re-assessments and many column inches on W's record and legacy.

First, on Presidential Libraries in general:

Presidential library - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's Mr. Bush's, which is in Dallas, TX: Home - The George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum

A WaPo piece on the dedication:

Bush library opening puts his presidency back in the spotlight - The Washington Post

And an article looking at the revival in his approval rating in recent times and whether history will rehabilitate him:

A George W. Bush Comeback? - The Daily Beast

Some other articles from this week:

George W. Bush legacy: It's not all bad. Slate Magazine
George W. Bush's higher approval ratings: The former president's legacy is looking more positive - and some Republicans aren't happy. - Slate Magazine
George W. Bush’s presidency, in 24 charts, WaPo Blogs
Libruary?
Sure fits in.

RobertW

I would have thought that associating the name "George W. Bush" with the word "library" is a contradictory oxymoron.

NYCKY

Thanks for starting this thread.

The dedication of Presidential libraries is one of the few occasions when all living Presidents get together. The others usually for each others inaugurations or funerals.

The Presidential libraries are more common among the recent Presidents and they each try to outdo the previous one. I have no doubt that there are already early discussions underway about Obamas library.

The library looks magnificent (I am sure there will be plenty of jokes about coloring books here) and I think it will yield a lot of information over time on the Bush Presidency. Also, I do think history will be a lot kinder to him.

statsman

Libruary; a Bush renaming of January because the Jans were lukewarm in their support for the war on terror?

Lonewolfe

The dedication of Presidential libraries is one of the few occasions when all living Presidents get together. The others usually for each others inaugurations or funerals.

The Presidential libraries are more common among the recent Presidents and they each try to outdo the previous one. I have no doubt that there are already early discussions underway about Obamas library.

The library looks magnificent (I am sure there will be plenty of jokes about coloring books here) and I think it will yield a lot of information over time on the Bush Presidency. Also, I do think history will be a lot kinder to him.
Yes, if we are, as some say, becoming increasingly stupid as a race then no doubt history will look back kindly on him.

statsman

The kindest thing history could do for Bush would be to forget him, but that's not happening.

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
I would have thought that associating the name "George W. Bush" with the word "library" is a contradictory oxymoron.
Considering it's "W" and Texas, perhaps the "George. W Bush Bibliorama" or the "George W. Bush Bibliodrome" might sound better?

harshreality

A library named after George W Bush is the intellectual equivalent of naming a university lecture theatre after Jedward!

harshreality

A Botanic Garden might be more appropriate for the shrub!
Lets not judge too harshly just yet Cruimh.
Perhaps the bookie wookies in the library are all pop up with puzzles, colouring and pictures of doggies and and and and a place with a blankie for nap time:)

mido

A library named after George W Bush is the intellectual equivalent of naming a university lecture theatre after Jedward!
don't be givin UCD ideas....

Cruimh

Lets not judge too harshly just yet Cruimh.
Perhaps the bookie wookies in the library are all pop up with puzzles, colouring and pictures of doggies and and and and a place with a blankie for nap time:)
Just as long as they don't have him involved in the running of the place ...... Arbusto energy wasn't a great success and questions were never fully answered over his involvement with the Texas Rangers