Germaine Greer: most rapes should get just community service & a tattoo on the wrist ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
In general rape is inherently violent as it involves coercive usage of another person's body

Germaine Greer calls for punishment for rape to be reduced
She suggested that a fitting sentence for the offence might be 200 hours’ community service and perhaps an “r” tattoo on the rapist’s hand, arm or cheek.
“Instead of thinking of rape as a spectacularly violent crime, and some rapes are, think about it as non consensual … that is bad sex. Sex where there is no communication, no tenderness, no mention of love.”

Rape trials were foundering and not ending in convictions as lawyers argued over the issue of consent, she said. Why not believe the woman and lower the penalty?
That said, I don't see good reason to treat it as distinct from other violent assaults

Cyp

kerdasi amaq

Actually, it's a violation of one of two mens property rights.

As a concept: it doesn't make sense otherwise.

Last edited:

Morgellons

I once saw a Spanish film where this bloke raped a girl down a side street. When it was over she asked him why he was so quick.

Dame_Enda

She herself is a rape victim as she explained in the debate. I think though she was making the point that in Sweden the definition of rape has been broadened so much that its not always what society originally understood rape to mean.

[video=youtube;iX1gNTF7liM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX1gNTF7liM[/video]

Prester Jim

Very interesting perspective and she was raped herself so it cannot be dismissed.
I suppose that how much damage rape does to the victim relies on a number of factors including broadly what kind of rape it was and the character of the victim. She may be being dismissive because she herself wasn't affected as badly as most would be (hers was a violent rape) or perhaps she is underestimating how badly affected she was by the rape.
Either way she will have opened herself up to huge abuse with these comments.

Dame_Enda

Are you ( and her ) saying all rapes are the same??

Or does it make her the 'Guru'??
I think what she says happened to her is she was at a party when she was young and this man ended up saying to her 'lets go on a walk' and during that walk its when it happened.

kerdasi amaq

Rape trials were foundering and not ending in convictions as lawyers argued over the issue of consent, she said. Why not believe the woman and lower the penalty?
It doesn't help when a number of "rape" victims have been provably lying.

Dame_Enda

There is an argument that one of the reasons juries are reluctant to convict is the length of the tariff, especially in a situation where the man may simply have gotten the wrong idea.

When I was a child, people interpreted "rape" as forced sex. But nowadays its increasingly being interpreted as sex "without express consent". Now the problem with that is that there are sometimes non-verbal cues that are open to differing interpretations (like agreeing to go to bed with someone).

I think a big part of the problem is that the word "rape" has connotations with sexual violence. I think juries would be more likely to convict if the word was changed to a degree (e.g. 1st, 2nd etc)-based sliding scale of "sexual assault" or "sex without consent", with forcible penetration still being called "rape".

Last edited:

yobosayo

In general rape is inherently violent as it involves coercive usage of another person's body

That said, I don't see good reason to treat it as distinct from other violent assaults

Cyp
The problem with both Ms. Greer's and your analysis is that there's this thing called semen emission, to be followed by this thing called conception. In raping our gal, he has deprived her of her right to say "no" based on his unacceptable genetic fitness and/or his unacceptable ability and lack of acceptable willingness to invest in both her and her offspring. Since it is probably a rape of the rape and run variety, I otherwise think that we can safely say that his willingness to invest in her and her offspring does not exist. Should be punished as it was at common law as a capital offense. Of course, we've stopped doing that because OwedToJoy and Merc think that such would be an expression of our toxic masculinity, seeing as how violent a capital punishment is.

Niall996

The Belfast false accusation case did huge damage to the case for reducing the threshold of proof. That debate is over for at least a generation.

sadmal

Cyp
I quite like the idea that a rapist be offered a choice between a prison sentence and a tattoo. Not an R on the wrist as she suggested but the word Rapist on the forehead. BTW she was not talking of violent rape when she made those remarks.

Prester Jim

It doesn't help when a number of "rape" victims have been provably lying.
A very small amount, one in 12 apparently or between 2-10% in some studies. Much higher number of rapes go unprosecuted.
Both are problems but in numerical terms alone the number of unconvicted rapists is probably much, much higher than the number of people accused falsely of rape.

Niall996

I quite like the idea that a rapist be offered a choice between a prison sentence and a tattoo. Not an R on the wrist as she suggested but the word Rapist on the forehead. BTW she was not talking of violent rape when she made those remarks.
Her point has no real validity. No one is going to simply accept a tattoo or a community service sentence or above all the ruination of ones reputation any more than they would accept a more serious penalty. Either there is evidence beyond doubt of rape or there isn't.

stopdoingstuff

You know as well as I do that it's a good idea but that North of the border they would just use it as a precedent and change the "r" to a "p".

petaljam

Germaine Greer supported the Pitcairn child rapists on the grounds that Polynesians traditionally have sex early (expressed by another supporter as "we break our women in young").

I've never had any time for her since.

GDPR

Germaine Greer supported the Pitcairn child rapists on the grounds that Polynesians traditionally have sex early (expressed by another supporter as "we break our women in young").

I've never had any time for her since.
OP isnt exactly covering himself with glory either, but then he knows his audience and Germaine lost her audience years ago. petunia

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies