• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

German Ambassador tells us home truths-again !

Eoin Coir

Just heard the German ambassador, Dr. Lubkemeier on today with PK, also on was Stephen Donnelly TD. Like his predecessor Christian Pauls, he told us a few home truths. We have got 65 billion at very cheap rates to keep us floating. Also told us that one of biggest problems is that we are spending so much more than we earn- a fact which is often ignored here, apart altogether from guarantee.

Poor Stephen Donnelly was on with his usual Shane Ross populist nonsense, but was left floundering.

Wonder will there be calls for Ambassadors expulsion like there was for Mr. Pauls ?

Last edited:

The Field Marshal

Effectively the current Irish government are now highly paid employees of the Troika and foreign financial interests. All their importent decisions are subject to a foreign veto.

joemac67

Just heard the German ambassador on today with PK, also on was Stephen Donnelly TD. Like his predecessor Christian Pauls, he told us a few home truths. We have got 65 billion at very cheap rates to keep us floating. Also told us that one of biggest problems is that we are spending so much more than we earn- a fact which is often ignored here, apart altogether from guarantee.

Poor Stephen Donnelly was on with his usual Shane Ross populist nonsense, but was left floundering.

Wonder will there be calls for Ambassadors expulsion like there was for Mr. Pauls ?

I cant make up my mind whether you are hard of hearing or whether anything you hear gets diluted and warped by that magical brain of yours .

Eoin Coir

Effectively the current Irish government are now highly paid employees of the Troika and foreign financial interests. All their importent decisions are subject to a foreign veto.
Like the errant kids we need supervision, dont like to be told though, but in time, like kids we will see it is all for our good !

Spanner Island

Just heard the German ambassador on today with PK, also on was Stephen Donnelly TD. Like his predecessor Christian Pauls, he told us a few home truths. We have got 65 billion at very cheap rates to keep us floating. Also told us that one of biggest problems is that we are spending so much more than we earn- a fact which is often ignored here, apart altogether from guarantee.

Not sure I'd agree with your take on it at all...

The ambassador seemed a bit lost when faced with some of the facts and figures and was reduced to repeating bland stuff about the entire mess being home made at various stages...

He also seemed dismissive of the fact that with Ireland being first into the mess meant we were shafted and that Irish people are taking far more of the strain than anyone else...

I also object to the claims made by many that we're having favours done for us when the reality is we're having loans extended to us on which interest is being levied and that those loans were forced on us in order to save the European financial mess... There are no favours being done and certainly no 'bailout'.

Of course a lot of what happened here was home grown. Most people are aware of that and accept it...

This doesn't solve the fact however, that the debts foisted on us are beyond affordable and won't be paid back or that Europe screwed us.

Shqiptar

I cant make up my mind whether you are hard of hearing or whether anything you hear gets diluted and warped by that magical brain of yours .
What actually happened?

Clanrickard

Just heard the German ambassador, Dr. Lubkemeier on today with PK, also on was Stephen Donnelly TD. Like his predecessor Christian Pauls, he told us a few home truths. We have got 65 billion at very cheap rates to keep us floating. Also told us that one of biggest problems is that we are spending so much more than we earn- a fact which is often ignored here, apart altogether from guarantee.

Specsavers are offering reduced hearing tests. I suggest you get one.

Monday Monday

Put up Corporation Tax to German levels.

That will close the gap.

Bish bash bosh - problem solved.

Shqiptar

Not sure I'd agree with your take on it at all...

The Ambassador seemed a bit lost when faced with some of the facts and figures and was reduced to repeating bland stuff about the entire mess being home made at various stages...

He also seemed dismissive of the fact that with Ireland being first into the mess meant we were shafted and that Irish people are taking far more of the strain than anyone else...

I also object to the claims made by many that we're having favours done for us when the reality is we're having loans extended to us on which interest is being levied and that those loans were forced on us in order to save the European financial mess... There are no favours being done and certainly no 'bailout'.

Of course a lot of what happened here was home grown. Most people are aware of that and accept it...

This doesn't solve the fact however, that the debts foisted on us are beyond affordable and won't be paid back or that Europe screwed us.
My impression is that the average German thinks:
(a) they are GIVING the money, not lending it
(b) it's all going to cover Irish sovereignty debt, not banking debt. They don't distinguish Ireland from Greece in that regard.

nonpartyboy

What still gets me is why have the imf/ecb allowed this farce to continue for so long.....as the german ambassador said we are spending far, far more than we are earning, forget the debt/PN repayments.

This gap will not be bridged through taxation, the simple fact is our spending must be curtailed, not one party in the dail are even in the real world.

The left wingers think there is a magic money tree and the right wingers seem happy to fleece as much as they can before it all comes crashing down.....

All i hear from govt td's is we are nearly out of the bailout programme and back into the markets, eh and what then ??????????

Borrow more money to bridge the continuing gap..........

Now i hear fg tds' looking to overturn the respite cutback......the social spending is off the scale, and it is not unemployment benefit...

joemac67

Is that you Stephen, I know you must still be hurting !
Your thread has potential to be interesting , thank you for starting it . Best if you leave now as your usual contributions are apprentice troll standard at best .

Shqiptar

we were told home truths by his Excellency, not a nice thing for us Irish - success story of the world as Bertie used tell us.
I didn't ask you. :D

emulator

The Taoiseach's response when hearing of the comments.....

ffc

It was the good ambassador who was floundering in my opinion. Donnelly put it in stark terms which the fine Dr was stuttering and stumbling in his attempt to explain away a clearly unjust policy. If the German economy had to sustain, proportionally, the kind of hit which Germany expects Ireland to take it would by expected to pony up 2 trillion euros to dead and dying banks, that's right 2 trillion. Donnelly made it clear that the deficit between spending and income would be closed by Ireland alone, but the bank debt is burying us, we need a deal, whatever the Germans think. You can call it a second bailout, or a fiscal adjustment, call it what you like the bank debt cannot be paid back.

GDPR

It was the good ambassador who was floundering in my opinion. Donnelly put it in stark terms which the fine Dr was stuttering and stumbling in his attempt to explain away a clearly unjust policy. If the German economy had to sustain, proportionally, the kind of hit which Germany expects Ireland to take it would by expected to pony up 2 trillion euros to dead and dying banks, that's right 2 trillion. Donnelly made it clear that the deficit between spending and income would be closed by Ireland alone, but the bank debt is burying us, we need a deal, whatever the Germans think. You can call it a second bailout, or a fiscal adjustment, call it what you like the bank debt cannot be paid back.
Why not just call it the ECB and Germany paying their share of the costs?

Spanner Island

My impression is that the average German thinks:
(a) they are GIVING the money, not lending it
(b) it's all going to cover Irish sovereignty debt, not banking debt. They don't distinguish Ireland from Greece in that regard.
They certainly don't seem to have an accurate picture of what's going on...

And why would they when muppets like Kenny announced to the world that 'we all went mad' in Davos last year...

That lie has done huge damage to our case...

And of course that lie suits the EU and the ECB and all the 'establishment' spinners and bullsh!tters because it enables them to keep forcing more debt on us to pay back their banker buddies...

W*nkers the lot of them...