• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

German army to be downsized

asknoquestions

Drastic cuts in both uniformed and civilian divisions of the German military have been proposed by an expert commission in Berlin, suggesting slashing troop numbers in the Bundeswehr from 250,000 to 180,000, and halving civilian support from 100,000 to 50,000.

FT.com / UK - Drastic cuts to German military proposed

I'm not sure how this fits into Future Taoiseach's vision of the EU as Reich IV about I'm sure I'll find out.

Catalpa

Drastic cuts in both uniformed and civilian divisions of the German military have been proposed by an expert commission in Berlin, suggesting slashing troop numbers in the Bundeswehr from 250,000 to 180,000, and halving civilian support from 100,000 to 50,000.

FT.com / UK - Drastic cuts to German military proposed

I'm not sure how this fits into Future Taoiseach's vision of the EU as Reich IV about I'm sure I'll find out.
About time - its a legacy of the Cold War and Germany has enough technical know how to compensate in more efficient weapon systems.

As for the 'Fourth Reich' barb that is a political project born in the days of WWII when it became obvious that Germany could not control Europe through military might and without the co operation of other States - in particular France.

spotty

Damn. Spotty was hoping they'd invade France.

Spotty hates the French.

Mind you, they could probably send in 400 frauleins, armed with bratwursts, and the French would surrender. The French are cowards.

Reminds Spotty of his favourite joke -

Q. What's the difference between Frenchmen, and toast?

A. Spotty could make soldiers out of toast.

firefly123

Spottys a bit of a racist! Leave the cheese eating surrender monkies alone!
Us brave neutral irish will show em!

sondagefaux

Zut alors! Surely the Treaty of Lisbon was going to force us all into a SuperEuroArmy and ramp up military spending.

meriwether

Spotty hates the French.

Mind you, they could probably send in 400 frauleins, armed with bratwursts, and the French would surrender. The French are cowards.

Q: How many men does it take to defend Paris?

A: Hard to know, it's never been tried.

Grumpy Jack

Spotty hates the French.

Q. Why are the streets of Paris lined with trees?

A. So the German Army can march in the shade.

spotty

Q. Why do the new French Navy have glass-bottomed ships?

A. So the sailors can see the OLD French Navy.

Q. How can you spot a French soldier in the desert?

A. He's the one with sunburnt armpits.

hiding behind a poster

Q. Why do the new French Navy have glass-bottomed ships?

A. So the sailors can see the OLD French Navy.

Q. How can you spot a French soldier in the desert?

A. He's the one with sunburnt armpits.
Seen on Ebay: "For sale, one French Army rifle. Used in two world wars. Never fired."

Red_93

I will not break Godwin's law.
I will not break Godwin's law...

spotty

I will not break Godwin's law...
Ah go on. But be funny.

Al.

Zut alors! Surely the Treaty of Lisbon was going to force us all into a SuperEuroArmy and ramp up military spending.
That's what zu Guttenberg wants. Very clever to advocate military co-operation as an "austerity measure", right?

Of course, it's never been mentioned in this thread that these "drastic cuts" are really a major exercise in trimming the fat and turning the Bundeswehr, Luftwaffe, Deutsche Marine and other divisions of Germany's military into a professional army. There's a reason why conscription was written into the Grundgesetz—to prevent the formation of a professional army in Germany. If you think that has no meaning, look back into the history of this particular law.