German president resigns after letting true German agenda slip

Al.

Yup...Horst Köhler mentioned that the intervention of German military abroad was beneficial to German economic interests. IOW, naked colonisation is just fine, no matter how brutal. He now calls the comments "misplaced"...but he didn't retract them upon resignation. He also regards any criticism, no matter how valid, disrespect for the office of Bundespräsident...like he was above the law or something.

EurActiv
German president resigns over ‘misplaced’ comment

Published: 01 June 2010

German President Horst Köhler unexpectedly resigned on 31 May due to a storm over comments he made about military action abroad, in a move that could give conservative Chancellor Angela Merkel a headache. ...

Köhler, in office since 2004, said in a radio interview just over a week ago that foreign military action by the German army also served economic interests.

A country like Germany with a heavy reliance on foreign trade, Köhler said, must know that "in emergencies military intervention is necessary to uphold our interests, like for example free-trade routes, for example to prevent regional instabilities which could have a negative impact on our chances in terms of trade, jobs and income".

Köhler said he was unhappy about the reaction to it.

"The criticism has gone so far as to suggest I supported deployments by the army which are not covered by the constitution. This criticism is completely unjustified," he said. "It shows a lack a respect for my office."

The row and his resignation underscores the sensitivity of military issues in Germany even 65 years after the end of World War Two and Nazi rule. ...

hiding behind a poster

Yup...Horst Köhler mentioned that the intervention of German military abroad was beneficial to German economic interests. IOW, naked colonisation is just fine, no matter how brutal.
I can't find where he said that.

He also regards any criticism, no matter how valid, disrespect for the office of Bundespräsident
Or that.

...like he was above the law or something.
Then why did he resign?

Al.

I can't find where he said that.
"(I)n emergencies military intervention is necessary to uphold our interests, like for example free-trade routes, for example to prevent regional instabilities which could have a negative impact on our chances in terms of trade, jobs and income" ...

Again you forget how this is still a taboo in Germany. Nobody does this in non-"emergency" situations too. Germany was not supposed to do anything of the sort at any time since 1945.
"The criticism has gone so far as to suggest I supported deployments by the army which are not covered by the constitution. This criticism is completely unjustified ... It shows a lack a respect for my office."

Kinda redundant thing to say. Yet he didn't stand up to it, so something else is behind that
So why did he resign?
The horse's mouth is the one to ask. Internal pressure is one possibility. Saying things like that in public is not yet politically expedient, apparently.

hiding behind a poster

"(I)n emergencies military intervention is necessary to uphold our interests, like for example free-trade routes, for example to prevent regional instabilities which could have a negative impact on our chances in terms of trade, jobs and income" ...
Where does it say "no matter how brutal" there? That's what you claimed.

"The criticism has gone so far as to suggest I supported deployments by the army which are not covered by the constitution. This criticism is completely unjustified ... It shows a lack a respect for my office."
You claim he'd said that any criticism was disrespect for his office. He didn't say that either.

Kinda redundant thing to say. Yet he didn't stand up to it, so something else is behind thatThe horse's mouth is the one to ask. Internal pressure is one possibility. Saying things like that in public is not yet politically expedient, apparently.
Or, equally apparently, everyone disagreed with him, and thus he resigned.

physicist

Again you forget how this is still a taboo in Germany. Nobody does this in non-"emergency" situations too. Germany was not supposed to do anything of the sort at any time since 1945."The criticism has gone so far as to suggest I supported deployments by the army which are not covered by the constitution. This criticism is completely unjustified ... It shows a lack a respect for my office."

Kinda redundant thing to say. Yet he didn't stand up to it, so something else is behind thatThe horse's mouth is the one to ask. Internal pressure is one possibility. Saying things like that in public is not yet politically expedient, apparently.
With regard "regional", I don't see abroad, I see "police state" perhaps?

forest

My God a country uses its military to pursue it interests
What next petrol companies complain about electric cars

clonycavanman

I was so disappointed , some years ago, when the Bundesrepublic changed it's constitution so that it's military could serve abroad; at the time, for the plausible purpose of 'intervening' in the Yugoslav civil war and aftermath.
Disappointed that this major unwinding of the post WWII settlement could be done with so little soul-searching or public disquiet. ( Is a committment to self-defence at home and neutrality abroad really that unstable?)

Of course the President let Germany's true agenda out of the bag. Economic self-interest , and possibly other perceptions of self interest (cf Britain's
efforts to preserve the 'special relationship') are now part of the considerations in German deployments abroad.
And Germany is just another country whose exhortations to us to help them save the starving, bring law and order, foster development, educate girls, deprive terrorists of cement, depose dictators...are tainted with the possibility of self-interest.

Squire Allworthy

The sooner we start thinking in terms of European interests and less German, French, British .......... the better. Europe collectively has a very good diplomatic service but alas it currently often works against itself.

Of course one of the roles of an army is to protect your interests, the debate is what are those interests and how exactly to protect them. You can't expect Germany to forever live in the shadow of WW1 and WW2.

On the diplomatic front it is interesting to consider the different spheres of interest of the French, Germans and British and to a lesser extent Spain and the other EU countries. It is quite impressive. Europe does diplomacy better than most others.

borntorum

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcLhk-RXXcQ]YouTube - Dylan Moran about Germans[/ame]

McDave

YouTube Godwinism...

Dylan Moran about Germans
Pretty lame routine that. I was wondering when he'd start bashing on about Hitler. Didn't have to wait long. But maybe Hitler is an unavoidable part of his (and his audience's) subconscious (part of what they are!!!!). Which makes the whole lame routine not a little hypocritical.

Frankly, boring. Not to mention unrelated to the OP.

borntorum

Pretty lame routine that. I was wondering when he'd start bashing on about Hitler. Didn't have to wait long. But maybe Hitler is an unavoidable part of his (and his audience's) subconscious (part of what they are!!!!). Which makes the whole lame routine not a little hypocritical.
Talk about missing the point

Breadan O'Connor

Germany is in Afghanistan because the USA compels it to be there.

Germany is a vassal state under a secret treaty signed in 1949.

This matter cannot be discussed in the mainstream western media.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHkJqcgfGFk]YouTube - "Russia Today": Germanys sovereignty restricted by US and allies, insiders book claims[/ame]

Cassandra Syndrome

Excellent Borntorum. Thanks for that hilarious clip. Dylan Moran is one of the best and most intellectual stand up comedians about. Ever see him live?

PS - Don't worry about some of the clinical and cold Eurotron posters' opinions here. They have no sense of humour and have no sense of identity with this country, so that dry drone witty humour is completely lost on them.

Al.

The sooner we start thinking in terms of European interests and less German, French, British .......... the better. Europe collectively has a very good diplomatic service but alas it currently often works against itself
Ah, Communist claptrap. Sorry, but "European interests" (which you fail to define) are going to be those of the dominant nation in this empire. There is no one European people. There is no purpose for and to a European Union, tovarishch.
Of course one of the roles of an army is to protect your interests, the debate is what are those interests and how exactly to protect them
No, that's not the only purpose of an army. Trying to validate Köhler's colonial view just by making a blanket statement? Don't ask what those interests are without actually digging into the question while trying to obscure it at the same time; that's pretentious.
You can't expect Germany to forever live in the shadow of WW1 and WW2
If they don't, then they've gone down the dark road that George Santayana warned about. Europe's been swinging rightwards since before the Treaty of Lisbon; and this time around, they have nukes available to them.

So...if Köhler did nothing wrong, why did he resign?

The Caped Cod

Wasn't there a similar bru-Ja-Ja, when some general Von Spickenspann or something, used the word 'war' in relation to Germany's troops in Afghanistan? The entire German population made whatever passes in Germany for a 'Oh no he d'n't!'

seenitallb4

yes...that's right...deny, deflect, distract and minimze. This report underines the need to continue to defend Irish neutrality, to refuse to take part in any European defeence alliance and to refuse to be drawn into any overseas adventures.

The Caped Cod

yes...that's right...deny, deflect, distract and minimze. This report underines the need to continue to defend Irish neutrality, to refuse to take part in any European defeence alliance and to refuse to be drawn into any overseas adventures.
Our neutrality is little more than lip service, no doubt in the past, but especially since Shannon and Knock were used by the US military.
I agree that Irish neatrality, a real neutrality, should be protected but while it might be worth while to keep an eye on what is happening at European level, it seems redundant while troops, arms, equipment and kidnapped people bound for torture pass through two of our airports almost everyday.

seenitallb4

Our neutrality is little more than lip service, no doubt in the past, but especially since Shannon and Knock were used by the US military.
I agree that Irish neatrality, a real neutrality, should be protected but while it might be worth while to keep an eye on what is happening at European level, it seems redundant while troops, arms, equipment and kidnapped people bound for torture pass through two of our airports almost everyday.
Sad but true- in a very real sense we are complicit in the neo-con rollback of democracy and human rights. But let's not make it worse than it already is.

Al.

I agree that Irish neatrality, a real neutrality, should be protected but while it might be worth while to keep an eye on what is happening at European level, it seems redundant while troops, arms, equipment and kidnapped people bound for torture pass through two of our airports almost everyday
Oh please. Repeating EU propaganda like this makes you complicit in the true death of Irish neutrality (if it ever existed; de Valera's condolences to the German ambassador on Adolf's death makes me think not) as well as the death of Irish sovereignty, never mind democracy. (Don't you do enough of this on the Foreign Affairs forum?)
Sad but true- in a very real sense we are complicit in the neo-con rollback of democracy and human rights. But let's not make it worse than it already is
I had no idea that the people running Brussels for decades were called "neo-cons". I suppose that I can count another one here that is actually complicit with the EU and against Ireland. Keep obscuring the real issues in a thread that's about them.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies