Germany And The Germans

Far Away

Have you ever been to or lived in Germany if you have what did you think of the Germans i have known many people who have lived there and some said that they hated the Germans more said that the Germans ok ...what did you think of them ???

eurocrat

I lived in Germany for year. Didn't manage to meet all 83million of them so I will refrain from making general comment. I met some nice people and some not nice people. Much like any other country really.

Riadach

As regards fashion sense now, they never seemed to jump the hurdle of 1989.

Far Away said:
Have you ever been to or lived in Germany if you have what did you think of the Germans i have known many people who have lived there and some said that they hated the Germans more said that the Germans ok ...what did you think of them ???
Germans hate people who can't punctuate, I hear. Not using full stops is a criminal offence.

eurocrat

secularireland said:
Not using full stops is a criminal offence.
Yes, the Bavarain Die Zeichensetzunggezetze of 1618 are held dear by the population to this day.

madura

Although generalisations are odious, I found the traits points below everywhere I went.

Negative:

-They talk in paragraphs (as opposed to short turns like the typical Irish person) and it can be difficult to get a word in edgeways.

-They’re inclined to be besserwisserlich.

-People you meet in an official capacity (in bus and train stations, immigration bureaux etc) are sour and unaccommodating.

-Infidelity to partners seems to be quite common.

Positive:

-They take things seriously and make a genuine effort to get to the bottom of anything under consideration.

-If they make a promise, they deliver on it.

Will add other positive traits as (if) they come to me.

Riadach

Ok I'll admit they don't all dress like they're from the 1980s, but while I was in Germany in 2002, I saw more than the average frequency of mullets, mohawks, bros-heads, spandex, leg warmers and leather boots. But you're right, no trackies hoodies or howyas.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
I have distant (very distant) relatives who are not Irish and who have lived in Germeny for the past 30+ odd years. Both Husband and Wife held down very well paying jobs. He worked in a car body shop spary painting and she was an administrator in large multi national. House, kids born and raised in Germeny, the whole lot and very well integrated.

After the German reunification everything changed. After 30 years they were sudddenly outsiders. He was 'displaced' in his job by an East German and she suffered a simular fate in her career. From their first hand evidance there is no doubt in my mind that being German in the eyes of many Germans cannot be achieved by 'integration'. Since re-unification the family sirname continues to have its origin queried in every aspect of their day to day lives whereas before it was irrelivent.

On my travels I do get to watch a fair bit of German media output (subtitled into one of the languages I do understand) and it strikes me that the image protrayed by the media is at odds with deeply held sentiments in Germany about their identity and national self image.

I have no reason to doubt that my relatives experience is a common one in Germany and their continued tales of discrimination mean it is an ongoing situation. The fact they are not 'western' European may mean their situation and experiances in Germany may be very differant from those someone from Ireland might find while living/working in Germany.

madura

bremer said:
Further, there is a certain type of arrogance in Germany. Many Germans presume they are just better than everyone else. I put that down to the Big Country Syndrome. For example, I have never met a German who hasnt tried to convince me that the only reason the Irish economy is doing well is EU subsidies. WHen I point out that Ireland is now a net contributor, they dont believe me. It is as if Germans want to have a monopoly on well-run economies. Its hard for them to recognise that Germany is not doing as great as it was. Also, all the Germans I know in Ireland, just talk about when the boom will end.
Agreed. This notion also underpins their demand for Ireland to revise its corporation rates to suit them. There's a view that only the manufacture of big machines and the like constitutes real economic activity. They don't recognise the importance of services in the modern economy. The arguments against that view were well made by IBEC's Danny McCoy on RTÉ radio yesterday (News at One, I think).

michael1965

madura said:
Although generalisations are odious, I found the traits points below everywhere I went.

Negative:

-They’re inclined to be besserwisserlich.
True. In much the same way that Irish people are sometimes the opposite :- falsely self-deprecating, and cagey about giving information away
-People you meet in an official capacity (in bus and train stations, immigration bureaux etc) are sour and unaccommodating.
Absolutely true. To the extent, that even Germans complain about them
-Infidelity to partners seems to be quite common.

Positive:

-They take things seriously and make a genuine effort to get to the bottom of anything under consideration.

-If they make a promise, they deliver on it.

Will add other positive traits as (if) they come to me.
True as well. I'd add that they know how to have fun, when they want to, and think the occasion is appropriate. But otherwise, spontaneous is not a word you'd use to describe them.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
bremer said:
I think it is difficult to generalise.
That is true. Expanding from my post above, how Germans see Western European is differant from Eastern European and non-Europeans (Turks etc). Though there may be a 'graded' response in how each of the above are recieved, with non-Europeans being on the bottom, I do think Germans prefer Germans. Given their recent reunification I think insecurity about their future success, security and identity as a nation are questions they do not trust forigners to have an input into. They may have a point or at least feel justified in their civil response.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Well I lived in Germany and got to know some Germans but I can't comment as I was very drunk at the time, always picking fights with other Irish, getting drunk in the workplace, which was of course the building sites and roadworks. The craic was mighty and we ourselves were regarded as mighty craic if a bit mental. We used to live 10 to a room with one bed but it didn't matter we were too busy staying up all night getting drunk and having the craic. We'd work off the hangovers with our picks and shovels.

Sorry I'm a bit busy I'll post up a proper answer a bit later.

Far Away

QuizMaster said:
Well I lived in Germany and got to know some Germans but I can't comment as I was very drunk at the time, always picking fights with other Irish, getting drunk in the workplace, which was of course the building sites and roadworks. The craic was mighty and we ourselves were regarded as mighty craic if a bit mental. We used to live 10 to a room with one bed but it didn't matter we were too busy staying up all night getting drunk and having the craic. We'd work off the hangovers with our picks and shovels.

Sorry I'm a bit busy I'll post up a proper answer a bit later.
When you have got time QuisMaster post a proper reply to my thread and tell me about your experencies in Germany both good and bad .... as most of the replies have been just nonsense ....Thank You looking forward to hearing from you

madura

Far Away said:
QuizMaster said:
When you have got time QuisMaster post a proper reply to my thread and tell me about your experencies in Germany both good and bad .... as most of the replies have been just nonsense ....
So QuizMaster's reply was the only one that suited your requirements? But he concentrated entirely on the behaviour of Irish people in Germany. Were you looking for stereotypical comments about Irish people? You should have said, or given a different title to the thread.

Far Away

madura said:
Far Away said:
QuizMaster said:
When you have got time QuisMaster post a proper reply to my thread and tell me about your experencies in Germany both good and bad .... as most of the replies have been just nonsense ....
So QuizMaster's reply was the only one that suited your requirements? But he concentrated entirely on the behaviour of Irish people in Germany. Were you looking for stereotypical comments about Irish people? You should have said, or given a different title to the thread.
I said that most of the replies were nonsense ...not them all

EvotingMachine0197

Can't comment on the people, but the Country is fantastic and the language rocks. I record stuff off the web, Bayern 5 Aktuell , on a regular basis to listen to in my car whenever Newstalk produce Johnny Giles. The German countryside is outsmagic.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
My reply was by way of pointing out that German stereotypes are about as useful as Irish stereotypes.
Although I must admit there was one summer in Munich (1985) which was very like that.

My brother lives in Germany. My sister lived there for 15 years. I lived there for about 1 year in the 1980s, in 2 instalments, being back in Ireland in between.

You can't tell what a typical German person is like because, as has been said, there are over 80 million of them and they are all different. I certainly found a wide variety of people there.
Also I think stereotypes don't help at all, in fact they only serve to obscure our understanding of people. For example being Irish, some people might assume I am a bit unintelligent and overly fond of the bottle, and see everything I do in that light.
Likewise the Germans are supposedly humourless, sticklers for punctuality, and lovers of law and order. Well not the ones I met.

What you can say is that society works in different ways in different countries, and you should try to understand that. The punctuality thing for example. If you are invited to someone's house for 8pm, you should turn up at that time because (a) polite lateness is not part of the culture and (b) you can time your journey to the minute, with the excellent public transport.
I did find some inflexibility in the work practices, but again I put it down to the culture, not the individuals. You do your job, the next man does his job, everything works very efficiently. But if you do something a bit different, it can throw the next man out completely, not like the way we'd be more flexible. But overall our practices are less efficient.

Germany is in touch with its traditions more than Ireland. You might be surprised to hear this about such a "modern" country. But visit at christmas and you will see what I mean. Our christmas is tacky, glitzy and purely commercial. The German christmas is much more tasteful and traditional.

Overall I have a very positive impression of Germany and german people. It's a great place to visit. Everything is laid out for easy understanding and works well.
It has become surprisingly good value over the last few years. The beer is probably the cheapest in Europe now, and almost the best (after Belgium).

pogo

Website
stags.pl
I had two close friends in Szczecin who were German.

They were about the nicest, most considerate, funniest people I've ever met.

But I don't think you can draw conclusions from just two people.

madura

QuizMaster said:
Germany is in touch with its traditions more than Ireland. You might be surprised to hear this about such a "modern" country. ).
In some respects, perhaps. But the family does not have the central role it occupies here or in countries like Spain and Italy.

QuizMaster said:
But visit at christmas and you will see what I mean. Our christmas is tacky, glitzy and purely commercial. The German christmas is much more tasteful and traditional.
I guess it's a question of personal taste. Some find the Christmas markets and the like a bit twee. (I like them myself but I'm a sucker for Christmas kitsch.)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies