• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Germany exporting its old and sick

carruthers

It would appear that Boston and Berlin are much closer than we ever thought.

That's not a society, it's an economy and one we should not bind ourselves any tighter too. Maybe our ambassador over there may make his views known as theirs does over here.

D

Dylan2010

wow, can we export our old people to Germany? €35k there versus 50K+ here

Half Nelson

Germany has chosen Mammon over God, the State over the Person and the Economy over Society.

How's that working out?

Al.

Germany has chosen Mammon over God, the State over the Person and the Economy over Society.

How's that working out?
How did it work out last time they did that?

People do need to read what the goals of the Yalta Conference were. Every single one has been undone.

mahrud

What's the fuss?
Exporting one's sick is more humane than gassing them, surely ?

OCicero

I am sure the Indian facilities will be very strictly controlled and regulated.

Dame_Enda

Well they can at least be thankful this is 2012 because their country has a dubious history when it comes to care for the elderly as we all know...

Shqiptar

This is crazy. It's traumatic enough for someone with dementia to adjust from home to the different environment of a care facility. Packing them off to a different country where the language and possibly climate is different make it so much worse.

Shqiptar

It might not seem obvious now but due to lower birth rates, most European countries face significant demographic (and hence, economic) problems in the long term.

This is not something Ireland is facing just yet. We're far better positioned than most nations.

The best and cheapest solution is care in the home or at least within the family with assistance from the state. But since most European countries have been having tiny families for generations, this burden falls on one person which very often isn't a workable solution.

damus

No system is ever full-proof. Who is ultimately responsible for the care of the older person if they are being placed in a facility outside the resident state? Are the standards (nursing home regulations, patient staff ratios, nursing) on par with those that exist in Germany? Does Germany monitor these facilities on an ongoing basis, and even if that does happen Germany has zero regulatory powers in a foreign jurisdiction. Without stating the obvious here, but aside from the trauma of it all, you are also increasing the risk of physical neglect and elder abuse if you place sick and vulnerable older people in an environment that is totally alien to them. For starters, there is the language and cultural barriers. By placing people in care environments in a foreign jurisdiction, you are socially isolating people who may be sick and vulnerable from everything that is familiar to them ie, their local community, their established support networks, family and their friends. Take the worse case scenario where your mum or dad is being physically neglected or is being abused in a care environment in India or Slovakia. If you're unable to visit on a regular basis, how would you know if they're being physically or psychologically abused? Would your mum or dad even know which relevant authorities to contact if they are being subjected to a constant barrage of physical abuse from a nurse of care worker? In all likelihood a person who is being abused would be more unlikely to contact the relevant authorities in a country that they are totally unfamiliar with. Of course that's presuming that the victim hasn't been sedated or that the perpetrators would even allow them to have unrestricted access to a telephone in the first place!

Shqiptar

No system is ever full-proof. Who is ultimately responsible for the care of the older person if they are being placed in a facility outside the resident state? Are the standards (nursing home regulations, patient staff ratios, nursing) on par with those that exist in Germany? Does Germany monitor these facilities on an ongoing basis, and even if that does happen Germany has zero regulatory powers in a foreign jurisdiction. Without stating the obvious here, but aside from the trauma of it all, you are also increasing the risk of physical neglect and elder abuse if you place sick and vulnerable older people in an environment that is totally alien to them. For starters, there is the language and cultural barriers. By placing people in care environments in a foreign jurisdiction, you are socially isolating people who may be sick and vulnerable from everything that is familiar to them ie, their local community, their established support networks, family and their friends. Take the worse case scenario where your mum or dad is being physically neglected or is being abused in a care environment in India or Slovakia. If you're unable to visit on a regular basis, how would you know if they're being physically or psychologically abused? Would your mum or dad even know which relevant authorities to contact if they are being subjected to a constant barrage of physical abuse from a nurse of care worker? In all likelihood a person who is being abused would be more unlikely to contact the relevant authorities in a country that they are totally unfamiliar with. Of course that's presuming that the victim hasn't been sedated or that the perpetrators would even allow them to have unrestricted access to a telephone in the first place!
Vulnerable, elderly Germans being left in care facilities in countries where - for historical reasons - Germans are not exactly deeply loved doesn't conjure up pleasant scenarios in my mind.

Analyzer

Well...there's outsourcing. Maybe this is going to far with outsourcing.

It has to be said that the numbers are small, compared to the overall population. But still you would have to wonder is this where outsourcing is going next.

By the way, a lot of well off Northern Europeans are currently residing in Spain, the French Riveria and Portugal. Similar winter residences exist in California, Arizona etc...Though sending people such distances as a cost saving measure might be a bit extreme.

OCicero

I half expect to be answered by an aged German accent next time I call Tech Support.

Analyzer

Vulnerable, elderly Germans being left in care facilities in countries where - for historical reasons - Germans are not exactly deeply loved doesn't conjure up pleasant scenarios in my mind.
In eastern Europe, this is a particularly difficult point, especially in Poland.

And in Greece of all places, especially given that current Greco-German relations are extremely unpleasant. Past events are continually being referenced in protests and in the "welcome" given visiting German politicians.

runwiththewind

This is why I support the individuals right to die and I hope this is legal by the time I reach old age. Imagine being in the position to say "today is the day that I choose to die", and be able to do the deed yourself. Now that's what I would consider a dignified death.

Morgellons

This is why I support the individuals right to die and I hope this is legal by the time I reach old age. Imagine being in the position to say "today is the day that I choose to die", and be able to do the deed yourself. Now that's what I would consider a dignified death.
There's nothing stopping you from doing that now. I don't quite understand your point.

Victor Meldrew

The quarterly reports and KPI's will say as much...

Non Germans in trains, old Germans from the same era in planes.... just a fair bit further east, same objective.

Charming

good dog

Often thought it would be nice to retire to Spain, Thailand or somewhere. So why not to a nursing home in one of these places?

Morgellons

It's like that English film from last year, the Marigold Hotel I think it was called, about a nursing home in India.