Germany to be sued for reparation.

derryman

Namibian tribes sue Germany in NY over century-old genocide

Namibian tribes sue Germany in NY over century-old genocide | News | DW.COM | 06.01.2017
Indigenous tribes from Namibia are hoping to have a US court rule on their claim for reparation on Historical crimes and alleged Genocide of more than one hundred years ago.

Vast land seizures

According to the suit, thousands of square miles of land belonging to the two local tribes were seized without compensation by German settlers with the consent of German's colonial authorities. The land seizures occurred between 1885 and 1903, and represented about 25 percent of the lands inhabited by the Herero and Nama tribes.

Should they succeed what implications does it have for the many other colonised peoples of the world. The great powers have all built their prosperity and modern wealth on historical acts of rape and pillage. I think there is evidence that no Indigenous population benefitted from colonisation. In fact it seems that those who have not been decimated have been hampered and riven with the conquerors much practised policy of divide and rule

Heritage of Strife: The Effects of Colonialist "Divide and Rule" Strategy upon the Colonized Peoples on JSTOR

This seems like an interesting read on the subject.

sic transit

This is bordering on the claims from African Americans for slave reparations. It's also very hard to draw any line from what was an imperial country to the modern German republic, which seems to be where the Germans stand on the claim.

truthisfree

Namibian tribes sue Germany in NY over century-old genocide

Namibian tribes sue Germany in NY over century-old genocide | News | DW.COM | 06.01.2017
Indigenous tribes from Namibia are hoping to have a US court rule on their claim for reparation on Historical crimes and alleged Genocide of more than one hundred years ago.

Vast land seizures

According to the suit, thousands of square miles of land belonging to the two local tribes were seized without compensation by German settlers with the consent of German's colonial authorities. The land seizures occurred between 1885 and 1903, and represented about 25 percent of the lands inhabited by the Herero and Nama tribes.

Should they succeed what implications does it have for the many other colonised peoples of the world. The great powers have all built their prosperity and modern wealth on historical acts of rape and pillage. I think there is evidence that no Indigenous population benefitted from colonisation. In fact it seems that those who have not been decimated have been hampered and riven with the conquerors much practised policy of divide and rule

Heritage of Strife: The Effects of Colonialist "Divide and Rule" Strategy upon the Colonized Peoples on JSTOR

This seems like an interesting read on the subject.
That does look like an interesting read.

silverharp

Reparations didn't work out so well the last time :p

A bit utopian there, what has happened has happened. Ask any African alive today if they want all their technology taken off them so that they can revert to the 18th Century and they will say no

Bubbleheaded

While I have sympathy for the tribes in question, if this is successful, you have to wonder where it would end. As far as I am aware, there is no population in the world of any size that has not suffered at the hands of another country, and some that have been repeated victims of invasion and genocide over millennia. Can we sue the British? Can the Russians sue the Germans, and can the Germans countersue? Can all of Europe sue Italy? Can the Jews sue everybody? If the Germans had done this 20 years ago it would be justified, but it is going back to the late 19th and very early 20th centuries. You just have to accept that bad things happened in less enlightened times.

derryman

Reparations didn't work out so well the last time :p

A bit utopian there, what has happened has happened. Ask any African alive today if they want all their technology taken off them so that they can revert to the 18th Century and they will say no
You really believe that all these native cultures could not have and would not have grown and modernised through fair and honest trading and exchange. I don't. What might be different now is a more equal world where all countries ,and Indigenous people's are, if not prospering at least not in poverty .

derryman

This is bordering on the claims from African Americans for slave reparations. It's also very hard to draw any line from what was an imperial country to the modern German republic, which seems to be where the Germans stand on the claim.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/30/david-cameron-slavery-caribbean

So you are Happy that the Cameron Clan still live the lives of aristocratic luxury while the descendents of the victims of their crime live in poverty?

silverharp

You really believe that all these native cultures could not have and would not have grown and modernised through fair and honest trading and exchange. I don't. What might be different now is a more equal world where all countries ,and Indigenous people's are, if not prospering at least not in poverty .
no, they had no civilisation to build on, contrast Africa with China or Japan who were able to accommodate the white devil. Lets say no European country committed a military force to Africa way back when and was just left up to people and companies there still wouldn't have been any meaningful trade just settlements carved out

West-Cork

Can we sue the British? Can the Russians sue the Germans, and can the Germans countersue? Can all of Europe sue Italy? Can the Jews sue everybody? If the Germans had done this 20 years ago it would be justified, but it is going back to the late 19th and very early 20th centuries. You just have to accept that bad things happened in less enlightened times.
Whilst I tend to agree the world would be going round in circles if everyone made claim for reparations, I do wonder if we deceive ourselves a bit when thinking we live in the 'age of enlightenment'.

tsarbomb

Will the Danes be asking for reparations for all of them that we killed at Clontarf in 1014? Absolute rubbish. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the neurotic krauts go along with this.

razorblade

This is getting absolutly ridiculous now, it happened over a century ago. Should every black person demand reps for slavery, every catholic in northern ireland who suffered discrimination, everyone who might be descended from someone who suffered in the roman empire, should catholics pay reps for the crusades, can the irish demand reps for the famine, could the jews demand reps for every country that persecuted them and etc etc because if we payed for every misdeed done by mankind we would have no money left to pay anyone with, the best thing mankind could do is learn from its past mistakes and move on.

Last edited:

between the bridges

Cool, Moi may sue the mexicants over grandpapa BtB's big house...

derryman

This is getting absolutly ridiculous now, it happened over a century ago. Should every black person demand reps for slavery, every catholic in northern ireland who suffered discrimination, everyone who might be descended from someone who suffered in the roman empire, should catholics pay reps for the crusades, can the irish demand reps for the famine, could the jews demand reps for every country that persecuted them and etc etc because if we payed for every misdeed done by mankind we would have no money left to pay anyone with, the best thing mankind could do is learn from its past mistakes and move on.
So every person who is ultimately living on the wealth stolen by his ancestors have that wealth ring fenced while the children of the victims of that theft must suffer in endless poverty? Is this your position?

derryman

Will the Danes be asking for reparations for all of them that we killed at Clontarf in 1014? Absolute rubbish. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the neurotic krauts go along with this.
Well now given that the Danes were the aggressor and robber.

Bubbleheaded

Whilst I tend to agree the world would be going round in circles if everyone made claim for reparations, I do wonder if we deceive ourselves a bit when thinking we live in the 'age of enlightenment'.
You have a point there, though what I was getting at I suppose, was that in current times, western countries wouldn't get away with taking land and committing genocide in Africa. Of course the Africans are pretty handy at the old genocide thing themselves (and have been for many centuries) but, like black on black slavery, and black on black violence in the USA, it's not mentioned in polite company.

razorblade

So every person who is ultimately living on the wealth stolen by his ancestors have that wealth ring fenced while the children of the victims of that theft must suffer in endless poverty? Is this your position?
So you think that everyone should just pay out, what kind of logic is that.

Bubbleheaded

The roman empire.
I was going to say Fiat cars, Shopping centres and Nutella, but yeah, the Roman Empire too. Kind of strange that he needed to ask.

Filibuster

I think the German Government has a very reasonable defence. The Federal Republic of Germany isn't the German Empire and really they would need to sue Emperor Wilhelm II.

The United Kingdom however has been a continuous state since those days so in theory could be liable for any law suits from imperial days.

France could be liable for any that are from the current republic too.

There does have to be a line drawn somewhere her though or we could all end up sueing everyone else for stuff their ancestors (or possibly just the ancestors of the country they currently just live in.)

New Threads

Most Replies