• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Gerry Adams, 2nd most popular leader down south

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
He hasn't gone away you know....According to the TV3 poll Gerry Adams is the second most popular leader down south. So West Brits, all your gobbing about Adams been unknown and unpopular down here is just yer usual tripe :rolleyes: :)

" Labour's Eamon Gilmore is the most popular party leader in the country with a 68% approval rating. Gerry Adams is next on 30%, Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny is on 24% while the leaders of the coalition parties, John Gormley and Brian Cowen, are on 19% and 18% respectively. "

Labour on 35% according to TV3 poll - InsideIreland.ie

Asparagus

He hasn't gone away you know....According to the TV3 poll Gerry Adams is the second most popular leader down south. So West Brits, all your gobbing about Adams been unknown and unpopular down here is just yer usual tripe :rolleyes: :)

" Labour's Eamon Gilmore is the most popular party leader in the country with a 68% approval rating. Gerry Adams is next on 30%, Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny is on 24% while the leaders of the coalition parties, John Gormley and Brian Cowen, are on 19% and 18% respectively. "

7 ot of 10 cats say no way Gerrio.

and this some how demonstrates his popularity??

hiding behind a poster

The poll didn't say Adams was second most popular leader. It said that 30% of people were satisfied with his leadership of Sinn Fein, which is completely different. As an example, I could say that I'm satisfied with Cowen's leadership of FF, on the basis that he's leading them to electoral meltdown. Does that mean I like Brian Cowen?

Oldira1

We are on 4% in the poll. Any attempt to find a silver lining is whistling past the graveyard.

Munion

The OP displays a basic ignorance of how that poll works.

Oldira1

The poll didn't say Adams was second most popular leader. It said that 30% of people were satisfied with his leadership of Sinn Fein, which is completely different. As an example, I could say that I'm satisfied with Cowen's leadership of FF, on the basis that he's leading them to electoral meltdown. Does that mean I like Brian Cowen?
Very true. Does it not follow too that Enda Kenny may therefore be really popular?

budgie29

30% is still not very high. If Sinn Fein cant even capitalise in this environment, they are finished. They will only ever be a small fringe party in the Republic. 4% share for the party is pathetic.

Kerrygold

4% would be certainly disastrous, but I really don't think we're that low.

Saying that, we should be doing a lot better given the climate but, given the electorates obvious desire for personality contests, the lack of an identifiable and credible southern leader and a difficulty in getting our message across in the media is not helping.

hiding behind a poster

Very true. Does it not follow too that Enda Kenny may therefore be really popular?
Well he's not as unpopular as is being claimed, given that 25% expressed no opinion about him. You also have the fact that the qyestion asks for satisfaction with his leadership of FG, so FG voters who would prefer Bruton as FG leader might say they're dissatisfied with him, but they'll still vote FG.

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
You sad, silly, stupid, vain dope :lol: :lol: :lol: "Labour's Eamon Gilmore is the most popular party leader in the country with a 68% approval rating. Gerry Adams is next on 30% "

jackryan

You sad, silly, stupid, vain dope :lol: :lol: :lol: "Labour's Eamon Gilmore is the most popular party leader in the country with a 68% approval rating. Gerry Adams is next on 30% "
But hold on say I'm a Labour supporter and I think That the Cowen is doing a great job running his party into the ground! and I am asked do you approve of the job that Cowen is doing as leader of FF? OH YES

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
But hold on say I'm a Labour supporter and I think That the Cowen is doing a great job running his party into the ground! and I am asked do you approve of the job that Cowen is doing as leader of FF? OH YES
Ah yes, the typical mentality of the Gombeen 'republic' :rolleyes: Let's relish seeing the country been destroyed so long as I think I can profit by it somehow. What a totally sad, silly, sick little state this is. :(

jackryan

Ah yes, the typical mentality of the Gombeen 'republic' :rolleyes: Let's relish seeing the country been destroyed so long as I think I can profit by it somehow. What a totally sad, silly, sick little state this is. :(
Likewise if you were a FF supporter, you approve of EK leading FG as you see him leading to FG not doing as well as it should! So you approve of the job he was doing! There was another question in that Poll which might be more relevant to popularity!!

“Which of the current party leaders would be your preference as next Taoiseach?”

EG 36
EK 19
BC 11
JG 3
GA 3
None 20
Don't Know 8

However unlikely that Adams or Gormley would ever be in the running! So there needs to be a specific question 'who is your favourite leader?'

hiding behind a poster

I don't see why you're blaming me for TV3 misreading questions in a poll they commissioned. Fact is voters were asked did they approve of X's performance as leader of Party Y. They weren't asked who they liked.

Limerick Lad

I'm sure Gerry Adams would give up every single percentage point of this purely arbitrary notional support for him personally as party leader if Sinn Fein as a political party could garner even half the the expressed support for the Fine Gael party or that of Fianna Fail rather than the miserable 4% electoral support Sinn Fein actually achieved in this poll.

hiding behind a poster

Exactly. I'd give Cowen an enthusiastic Yes if I was asked did I approve of his leadership of FF, which is utterly unrelated to whether I'd vote for his party.

sowhat

With Gerry Adams the 2nd most popular leader in the Republic and Sinn Fein on 10% support in the latest opinion poll, Sinn Fein can look forward to a good general election performance next year with at least doubling their representation in the Dail.

hiding behind a poster

With Gerry Adams the 2nd most popular leader in the Republic and Sinn Fein on 10% support in the latest opinion poll, Sinn Fein can look forward to a good general election performance next year with at least doubling their representation in the Dail.
The poll said nothing about Adams' popularity. 30% of people approved of his performance as leader of Sinn Fein. No-one said they liked him or didn't like him, because they weren't asked.