• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Gerry Adams says a United Ireland is not fighting a loosing battle

mutley

Sinn Fein have kicked of their US Conferences to garner support from Communities around the world towards a goal of a United Ireland.

I can't see it happening anytime soon, or the benefit of these conferences when Sinn Fein are struggling to make any real political head way in Ireland.

The Press Association: Adams: Not fighting losing battle

Critics of an international campaign to promote Irish unity are in the same camp as sceptics who once rejected hopes for an Irish peace process, Sinn Fein has said.

Party President Gerry Adams said 800 delegates attended a conference in New York held to kickstart his party's call for support from Irish communities around the world for reunification.

But Mr Adams rejected claims that Sinn Fein is fighting a losing battle and pointed to critics he said had opposed the party's early attempts to develop the peace process in the 1980s.

Alliance 109

of course he'd say that :rolleyes:

Alliance 109

I think he should issue himself a challenge.

If Ireland isn't united by 2016, he'll shave his beard off
God, i hope he's reading this :D

factual

MMG has stated that he is working to 2014. While Sidewinder - a respected commentator on this forum - has stated it can happen by 2012.

mutley

MMG has stated that he is working to 2014. While Sidewinder - a respected commentator on this forum - has stated it can happen by 2012.
I'm stating that I'm going to be a billionaire by Christmas then.
If saying something often enough can make it true for Sinn Fein, it will work for me too

topcat

listen lads, reunification is a realistic ambition. it is in ireland's economic interest to get rid of the border. however i dont beleive it is going to happen by 2016, i think it may take 20 years or so but parties like SF need to continue the persuasion process and eventually it will pay off.

drbob1972

of course you need to actually be in a battle to win or loose, what he's in is an ego trip with a large side order of denial

drbob1972

Sidewinder also said a lot of things about you, are those right also ? :)

topotheday

listen lads, reunification is a realistic ambition. it is in ireland's economic interest to get rid of the border. however i dont beleive it is going to happen by 2016, i think it may take 20 years or so but parties like SF need to continue the persuasion process and eventually it will pay off.
Who is it they're trying to persuade? I've never met a Unionist (however moderate) who has any interest in a United Ireland.

Perhaps they can start with all The Northern Catholics who tell pollsters they have zero interest in Irish Unity. In fact pollster figures are so bad, SF might need to start with their own voters.

mcdonald douglas

This United Ireland nonsense is well past its sell by date.Sinn Fein have accepted a parliament in Belfast and the south has taken the Brussels schilling.Irish Nationalism is total bulls**t.

merle haggard

Sinn Fein have kicked of their US Conferences to garner support from Communities around the world towards a goal of a United Ireland.

I can't see it happening anytime soon, or the benefit of these conferences when Sinn Fein are struggling to make any real political head way in Ireland.
they want yankee money , thats the benefit

Critics of an international campaign to promote Irish unity are in the same camp as sceptics who once rejected hopes for an Irish peace process, Sinn Fein has said.
those critics were sceptical that the provos would ever actually sign up to an agreement which legitimised british rule and surrender their guns . Now theyve done that those sceptics are simply sceptical the provos will ever get a united Ireland . Thats called commonsense .

fool

So Adams has signed up to a strategy that can only deliver a United Ireland by persuading Unionists of the benefits of ending partition, and he's going about this by talking to completely different people?

merle haggard

So Adams has signed up to a strategy that can only deliver a United Ireland by persuading Unionists of the benefits of ending partition, and he's going about this by talking to completely different people?
yes , that is absolutely what hes doing , except not actually pointing that sort of important bit out to the different people . Hes also appointed a task force .

st333ve

SF's success as a party is not a measure of how many people in Ireland want the border removed in the future.

There are many people all over Ireland who want this country's problems settled, these people vote for a range of different parties.

The border will not disappear unless the consent of Unionism is sought and given. That is unlikely in the medium term. That is how it has always been.
Dissident republicanism will only resolve Unionist steel , the gates in their heads will once again be closed and the siege mentality return and another generation is lost.

HEAVENHELPUS

Nationalists are in a big majority in the North of all people 35 and younger.

jdaly

I think he should issue himself a challenge.

If Ireland isn't united by 2016, he'll shave his beard off

NO, PLEASE, NO, Don't let him shave the beard off. nobody should see that weird chin. I saw it once and am still not the better of it, plus, Gerry thinks the beard makes him look revolutionary.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies