• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

"Gerry Adams: Unrepentant Irishman"

picador

I stopped at the first lie
Well you should have read on. You would have read of a fascinating encounter between a mercurial revolutionary turned politician and a thoughtful questioner who writes excellently.

Truth.ie

Is he suffering from Stockholm Syndrome?
He recounts how he shook hands, joked and laughed when he met the soldier who years earlier had tortured him. Yet the interviewer claims he only got animated and vexed when the topic of the RIRA came up.
He seems to despise the RIRA more than the State he vowed to destroy.
A State he is now very much part of.
I also find his claim the the PIRA struggle was the only successful Irish insurgent campaign.
The Tan War springs to mind.
British Rule has never been as secure since partition. But this was a failure of the negotiators rather than the armed struggle.

femmefatale

ditto, Adams is about as international statesman as Bertie is a competent accountant
You may not like him or his politics, but he is an international statesman of sorts. He is one of the few Irish politicians (widely) known outside Ireland and he has been involved in high-level peace negotiations involving delegations from multiple countries. He is now an advocate for peace and peaceful political reform, and travels the world advising countries about successful methods of conflict-resolution.

Seánod

This was actually an excellent interview. The interviewer was very shrewd and subtle in his approach... an managed to get a few bits of useful information above and beyond the normal

st333ve

I think Adams is an idiot when it comes to general economics and political policies , what he is known for is his role during the troubles.
Although once a major part of the IRA, Adams is now a leading figure in the leadership that split and went down the road of politics.
An important figure of conflict, to an important figure of peace.

His movement from an IRA campaign, to IRA split, to IRA decomissioning and then negotiating the GFA/St.Andrews agreements would mean that his experiences from conflict to peace could most certainly be beneficial to other countries.

Adams wont be easily forgotten by the history books, the main problem for his politicial party today is that this historical figure is still leading a party that should be modernising.

In some ways Adams must have knowedge and experiences far and beyond the average man, However these do not extend to modern politics and debates - this is Gerry's Achilles heel.

fool

This is one of Hari's better articles, and his standard does tend to vary widely.
Though that story about the ex-soldier in the lift reeks of fiction.

merle haggard

In some ways Adams must have knowedge and experiences far and beyond the average man,
Indeed he does . Not only does he regularly hug trees he managed to out hurl the cream of Irelands hurling fraternity in west belfast a few years back by actually participating in and winning..actually coming first..in the póc fadá accross the black mountain . Not joking . He won .UTV also announced this . I however thought it was particularly cruel of them to show footage of gerry near a bush warming up at the start of the event practice swiping at and then missing the sliothar . This unfairly conveyed the impression that he was not an ace hurler but some sort of dictator in an Idi Amin fashion whom the others let win deliberately to placate his ego. I was almost moved to make a complaint at this despicable subliminal suggestion .

However these do not extend to modern politics and debates - this is Gerry's Achilles heel.
for the leader of a political party thats more an achilles club foot .

SevenStars

Adams wont be easily forgotten by the history books, the main problem for his politicial party today is that this historical figure is still leading a party that should be modernising.

What do exactly do you mean by modernize?

Truth.ie

This is one of Hari's better articles, and his standard does tend to vary widely.
Though that story about the ex-soldier in the lift reeks of fiction.
Everything he says has to be taken with salt.
The guy was never in the IRA ffs.
He claimed he sang "Always look on the bright side of life", whilst in jail...2 years before it was wrote.
He wrote articles from jail for An Phoblacht under the pseudonym Brownie only to claim 20 years later it wasn´t actually him.
Her told the family of Jean Mc Conville "Thank God I was in jail when she was killed" when in fact he was in Leadership role in Belfast.
The guys a nutcase.
And who here really believes he "begged Tony Blair not to invade Iraq".
Love to see the minutes of that meeting.
"So you're going to Iraq then Mr Blur?
"Yes. Actually I'm going to declare the invasion from Ireland. I'm flying in tomorrow St. Patricks Day in a military helicopter along with George Bush.I believe it's a Holy Day in Ireland.Yes?"
"It is indeed. I'll be there to meet you. Thats grand so it is. Oh by the way, I hope you learn from Irish history. Get the troops to wear floppy berets and get some stooges to run the place for you."

Moogie

Indeed he does . Not only does he regularly hug trees he managed to out hurl the cream of Irelands hurling fraternity in west belfast a few years back by actually participating in and winning..actually coming first..in the póc fadá accross the black mountain . Not joking . He won .UTV also announced this . I however thought it was particularly cruel of them to show footage of gerry near a bush warming up at the start of the event practice swiping at and then missing the sliothar . This unfairly conveyed the impression that he was not an ace hurler but some sort of dictator in an Idi Amin fashion whom the others let win deliberately to placate his ego. I was almost moved to make a complaint at this despicable subliminal suggestion .
Seriously? Did he also beat fifty young fellas outside of Armagh? Does he hit the sliotar up in the air and then run and catch it before it can hit the ground? He really is some sort of superhuman isn't he? I wonder did his mother ever swallow a fly?

for the leader of a political party thats more an achilles club foot .
Must remember that one.

Robo

I think Adams is an idiot when it comes to general economics and political policies , what he is known for is his role during the troubles.
Although once a major part of the IRA, Adams is now a leading figure in the leadership that split and went down the road of politics.
An important figure of conflict, to an important figure of peace.

His movement from an IRA campaign, to IRA split, to IRA decomissioning and then negotiating the GFA/St.Andrews agreements would mean that his experiences from conflict to peace could most certainly be beneficial to other countries.

In some ways Adams must have knowedge and experiences far and beyond the average man, However these do not extend to modern politics and debates - this is Gerry's Achilles heel.
I think a real test for a political figure is their ability and willingness to show their face in public without the populous turning on them. They need to be able to do this in their home town, Gerry will never be able to do that in Belfast city center. He will be a historical figure without a doubt but only because of the IRA's actions. Which ended in him supporting or agreeing to British rule.

Hmmmm....

Interesting interview with Adams by Johann Hari:

Johann Hari - Home

Carefully read the following bit from this interview:

It happened to me – each occasion that I was arrested some of the methods were brutal. It's happening in Iraq. That's what armies do when they engage in pacification programs ...

"They took me back to another interrogation room and put me up against a wall, spread-eagled, and beat me soundly for hours around the kidneys and up between the legs. The beating was very systematic and quite clinical. There was no passion in it." (British doctors later confirmed that these practices were used in Northern Ireland.)

Did this leave you traumatised? Do you get flashbacks? "I know that there are some people who either succumbed to alcoholism, to drug dependency, and would then go to generally bad health. And there are others who arguably have never properly recovered." But suddenly he looks like he has revealed too much, and seems embarrassed. He sticks his chest out in an odd gesture of pride. "But me? I've been too busy. But no, I'm OK. I'm grand." And he laughs – a strange laugh I can't quite read – and smirks at his press officer, as if this emotional talk is a silly effete indulgence.

Hmmm...could it be Gerry Adams is feeling grand, properly recovered and untraumatized because he sung a deal before he broke? Might that explain a lot really and why he looked like he revealed too much? How else could he make light of meeting one of his past Brit torturerer's in an elevator and having a wee laugh with the man about it all? If he wasn't tortured as much or at all then he wouldn't feel so bad or traumatized.

Typical Machivellian, Gerry Adams is anything but magnanimous. Just see all his former Irish Republican friends and allies he has left in his wake behind him when they no longer served his personal political interests. Yet he has no problem having a wee laugh with one of our blood thirsty conquerers.

Like most career politicians, Gerry Adams is a congenital narcissist and pathological liar who is an even bigger national embaressment than John Redmond or Bertie Ahern. Who but a complete sell out would go around the world on behalf of his conquerers singing the praises of national capitulation?

Last edited:

RasherHash

TheJournal.ie‏Verified account @thejournal_ie 4h4 hours ago

Gerry Adams: 'What kind of Irish leader would swear loyalty to the English Queen' @GerryAdamsSF

Sword of Gideon

Why is this in the Northern Ireland section?
The person who was never in the IRA is a TD in the RoI, he represents no one here.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies