Gerry Gregg’s Corrib Gasfield Doc ‘Paul Williams Investigates’ nominated for IFTA

stripey cat

Gerry Gregg’s Corrib Gasfield Doc ‘Paul Williams Investigates’ nominated for IFTA
UK Film and Television News - Irish TV And Film Nominations Revealed

The awards are being held in the Burlington Hotel on February 20th.

Frank McDonald, environment correspondent of the Irish Times was reported to have called it "one of the most tendentious pieces of television he had seen in a long time".

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea9-tjdQYQ4"]YouTube- Campaign Paul Williams Win Best Current Affairs exposing Sea To Sea[/ame]

stripey cat

er... this is a piss-take thread right?
He really has been nominated for an award for the best news and current affairs documentary made in Ireland last year.

It is kind of hard to know where to begin with this news, but I think Revolt Video in the clip above have made a good start.

neiphin

was it a comedy section ?

or the prize for whoring oneself to big buisness

certainly not a factual prize

Breadan O'Connor

Frank McDonald, environment correspondent of the Irish Times was reported to have called it "one of the most tendentious pieces of television he had seen in a long time".

YouTube- Campaign Paul Williams Win Best Current Affairs exposing Sea To Sea

Gerry Gregg was a close associate of Eoghan Harris when both were employed by RTE in the early 1980s.

Both of them were enthusiastic members of the Workers Party.

stripey cat

The Workers Party were opposed to environmental and conservation inspired protests back then weren't they?

They supported the refinery for Dublin bay and other proposals to industrialise the country I think.

Does anyone know what their position was abut nuclear power was?

Gabha Óir

The Workers Party were opposed to environmental and conservation inspired protests back then weren't they?

They supported the refinery for Dublin bay and other proposals to industrialise the country I think.

Does anyone know what their position was abut nuclear power was?
That the Provies were responsible for any future nuclear meltdowns.

Schuhart

Out of the nominations, I'd say the Prime Time special on Travellers should get it. It was, IMHO, as good an attempt as I think a person can make to do a film about a challenging subject. IIRC, it was made by Mike Millotte, and he neither demonised Travellers nor dodged the pretty awful aspects of their 'culture'.

That's enough for the reasoned comments. If Paul Williams does get an award for his work, it will be no more ridiculous than Willie Corduff trousering a Goldman Award, apparently because a group of naive Californians believe the protest has something to do with the Irish government breaking "federal" law.

stripey cat

This thread isn't about Willie Corduff, except in that he was one of the people this documentary lied about (they claimed his father had been opposed to rural electification - he had actually just been opposed to the ESB charging him more than his neighbours becasue of the position of his farm), it's about whether this programme was any good, and deserves to be nominated for an award.

Schuhart

This thread isn't about Willie Corduff, except in that he was one of the people this documentary lied about (they claimed his father had been opposed to rural electification - he had actually just been opposed to the ESB charging him more than his neighbours becasue of the position of his farm), it's about whether this programme was any good, and deserves to be nominated for an award.
Absolutely, and my comment isn't about Willie Corduff, except in that he actually got an award from some yanks who showed themselves to be clueless about why an award was deserved.

stripey cat

Absolutely, and my comment isn't about Willie Corduff, except in that he actually got an award from some yanks who showed themselves to be clueless about why an award was deserved.
I know very little about the Goldman Award but I don't recall any particular public disquiet when Willie Corduff got it. The environmental correspondent of the Irish Times, for instance, who might know about these things, didn't protest.

By contrast, he thought the Gerry Gregg/Paul Williams show was so bad he made an official complaint about it.

It seems strange then, that it is being lauded as one of the best documentaries made in Ireland last year.

Schuhart

I know very little about the Goldman Award but I don't recall any particular public disquiet when Willie Corduff got it.
Indeed, but its hard to get balanced and reasoned coverage of Rossport. The issue is less about public disquiet and more about how (as I set out clearly in the post linked above) the Goldman Award website's material on Rossport is just plainly wrong on points of basic fact.

I'd guess the rational response to this is just to take any award ceremony with a degree of scepticism. I mean, who are these award-giving folk? How do you get to be an award giver?
The environmental correspondent of the Irish Times, for instance, who might know about these things, didn't protest.

By contrast, he thought the Gerry Gregg/Paul Williams show was so bad he made an official complaint about it.

It seems strange then, that it is being lauded as one of the best documentaries made in Ireland last year.
I agree that the surpreme arbiter on any question is the relevant Irish Times correspondent.

Scribbler

Frank McDonald was one of four complaints made to the BCC about that disgraceful piece of propaganda. How the BCC didn't uphold any of the complaints is beyond me.
Broadcasting Complaints Commission - Decisions

fool

I've had work nominated for IFTAs before. All you have to do is pay a fee and your show is nominated. Sometimes the broadcaster pays, but occasionally producers in need of some publicity will stick their hands in their own pockets.

rubensni

It was an awful piece of TV, but at the same time the Shell To Sea campaign legitimised the programme by cooperating with it. What were they thinking all the same? Paul Williams has been a mouthpiece of the gardaí for years.

stripey cat

Paul Williams didn't do any of the interviews with the protesters. You can hear it's someone else's voice off camera.

So they didn't actually know who was doing it, and didn't know how slanted it would be. But still, you're right...

It's sad, but documentaries like this this give the media a bad name with protesters, so have a negative impact on the chances of genuine balanced documentaries being made in the future.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies