• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Gerry McCabe

Monkey-Magic

What exactly is SF's stance on this issue? I'd say the SF leadership would love to come out and condemn it but they can't due to grassroots pressure esp in the north. I know shinners hate being asked about this because they need to toe the party line carefully. Personnally I don't understand all the fuss. Thousands of people were killed during the troubles, why is the life of one guard so exceptional that the terms of the GFA don't apply? I myself believe the methods of the provos were wrong and the Gerry McCabe incident should never have occurred but there is alot of hypocracy from political establishment over the treatment of his killers.

Alliance 109

But do you know what exactly the position of SF is on this?
I think, I think the official line is: "justice and equality for all". or summin like that

Paddy O'China

Until they completely condemn the killing I would never vote SF. I think a lot of people might be of the same opinion. There seems to be a blurring of the official line on it in recent times though. During the last election there were varying opinions on how it should now be treated. The men who did it should just own up to it. Most of them have now spent a considerable time in prison already. Also this should not be included in the GFA as this was purely monetary and not in any way politically motivated. Also don't forget the other Garda Detective (O'Sullivan) lost an arm during the botched robbery.

Just Us

Until they completely condemn the killing I would never vote SF. I think a lot of people might be of the same opinion. There seems to be a blurring of the official line on it in recent times though. During the last election there were varying opinions on how it should now be treated. The men who did it should just own up to it. Most of them have now spent a considerable time in prison already. Also this should not be included in the GFA as this was purely monetary and not in any way politically motivated. Also don't forget the other Garda Detective (O'Sullivan) lost an arm during the botched robbery.
I condemn it completely. I also condemn the killing of young Hugh Hehir in the same area some years previously. Of course no-one ever mentions [or even remembers] him.

liamfoley

A few things make the murder if Detective McCabe different to most. He was a servant of the Irish State who was murdered in cold blood in the course of doing his duty, his widow would not the the smirking Adams get away with it. SF used to say that they never liked to use the word 'condemn', that has changed because they were clamoring a few weeks ago to condemn the racist attacks in Belfast, now that they can use the magic word let them condemn the murder of Gerry McCabe

Limerick Lad

I condemn it completely. I also condemn the killing of young Hugh Hehir in the same area some years previously. Of course no-one ever mentions [or even remembers] him.
The gang involved in the killing of Jerry McCabe was on a "me féin" mission when they attempted to rob a Post Office van delivering pension money to the Post Office in Adare, operating without the approval of the IRA leadership. Subsequently Sinn Fein and the IRA tried legitimise their actions as being on "active service" despite an initial denial from Gerry Adams that the attempted robbery and killing of McCabe was in any way connected to the IRA.
Hugh Hehir was one of two gunmen who tried to raid a post office in Caher near Feakle in Co.Clare, in an ensuing gun battle with the Gardai one of the raiders (Hugh Hehir) was shot and subsequently died, the two cases aren't comparable except that the IRA initially disowned Hugh Hehir too.

Rebel CNC

Thousands of people were killed during the troubles, why is the life of one guard so exceptional that the terms of the GFA don't apply? I myself believe the methods of the provos were wrong and the Gerry McCabe incident should never have occurred but there is alot of hypocracy from political establishment over the treatment of his killers.
The murderers were on a non-sanctioned operation. The proceeds of the robbery were going to be used for self-enrichment and had nothing to do with the struggle for a united Ireland.

SF's position is they just want it to go away. T Ferris would probably have taken the final Euro seat except for the McCabe issue.

Tiernanator

I have never heard how they actually feel about their actions. I would guess given the chance to turn the clock back things would have been very different. However as you know the republican movement had an unwritten policy of not attacking members of the ROI police force or military. If the policy had been different then there would have been a lot more police or Irish army personnel killed. Gerry McCabe's murder was wrong and it should not have happened. However Paddy O'China I doubt if your ever likely to vote Sinn Féin and you are using the death of Gerry McCabe to have a bash at Sinn Féin. Show some respect.

Last edited:

liamfoley

The murderers were on a non-sanctioned operation. The proceeds of the robbery were going to be used for self-enrichment and had nothing to do with the struggle for a united Ireland.

SF's position is they just want it to go away. T Ferris would probably have taken the final Euro seat except for the McCabe issue.
Are you seriously suggesting that if they were on a "sanctioned" operation that it would be different? Who, by the way gives sanction? Criminals, thats who. Gerry McCabe took an oath to uphold the constitution and laws of this land, he was murdered while protecting me, my family, the families of all the Irish users of this site. If Ferris was not elected then the work of Anne McCabe and others who would remind the citizens of this state that there are still people who would undermine our constitution and murder the servants of the state is not in vain.

Rebel CNC

Are you seriously suggesting that if they were on a "sanctioned" operation that it would be different? Who, by the way gives sanction? Criminals, thats who. Gerry McCabe took an oath to uphold the constitution and laws of this land, he was murdered while protecting me, my family, the families of all the Irish users of this site. If Ferris was not elected then the work of Anne McCabe and others who would remind the citizens of this state that there are still people who would undermine our constitution and murder the servants of the state is not in vain.
Agree completely - however I think if T Ferris had condemned the murderers, she would have pulled enough extra votes and preferences to defeat Kelly. I mentioned the operation because as it was not an approved operation, SF should be able to expressly condemn the crimminal filth that carried it out.
The fact that they won't do so speaks volumes about the party and shows that they still have a long way to go.
If they want to remember Bobby Sands or the members killed in Loughall, etc that's their choice, but why would they want special treatment for a bunch of murdering bank robbers?

brasco

Its time that all the victims where laid to rest.....yes there has been suffering put we need to draw a line under the past and move on.....

there is no hierarchy of grief as some here would like to prove and cheap political point scoring on the back of tragedy is frankly sick...

absconded

I have never heard how they actually feel about their actions. I would guess given the chance to turn the clock back things would have been very different. However as you know the republican movement had an unwritten policy of not attacking members of the ROI police force or military. If the policy had been different then there would have been a lot more police or Irish army personnel killed. Gerry McCabe's murder was wrong and it should not have happened. However Paddy O'China I doubt if your ever likely to vote Sinn Féin and you are using the death of Gerry McCabe to have a bash at Sinn Féin. Show some respect.
That looks like an honest reply, fair play to you.
My feelings of contempt for SF refusal to condemn these murderers and the 3 unfortunate FARC "tourists" I won´t elaborate on here.
They can never hope to get anywhere as a legitimate party unless they start calling a spade a spade or a murderer a murderer.

Aindriu

Its time that all the victims where laid to rest.....yes there has been suffering put we need to draw a line under the past and move on........
That is true to a degree, however if people fail to learn from history then it will repeat itself. I wonder if SF have learned that they should not countenance criminals in their ranks??

brasco

That is true to a degree, however if people fail to learn from history then it will repeat itself. I wonder if SF have learned that they should not countenance criminals in their ranks??
Every republican military group since 1916 has had criminals within their groups....

Aindriu

Every republican military group since 1916 has had criminals within their groups....
Even more reason to not vote SF then. I would never vote for FF for the same reason.

mmrebel

What are you talking about exactly here? say you plant a bomb and kill innocent children is that considered criminal or are we talking about bank robbers who kill gardai please clarify ?

Limerick Lad

Its time that all the victims where laid to rest.....yes there has been suffering put we need to draw a line under the past and move on.....

there is no hierarchy of grief as some here would like to prove and cheap political point scoring on the back of tragedy is frankly sick...
This mantra of the need to draw a line under the past and move on only seems to apply to certain victims, yet those who ask for this are often the same people who continually clamour for investigations into the deaths of other victims particularly those where collusion between the British Government and Loyalist groups might be alleged.
If this line is to be drawn surely it must apply equally, either investigate all cases through some sort of Truth and Reconciliation Commission, exposing those responsible for either sanctioning or participating in the events that led to the deaths of so many or else really consign these events to the past, allowing future historians judge the rights and wrongs of the actions of those involved.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies