• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Get FF Out of Office, Then Try Them for Treason

Bill D Gallows

If you consider that it is the duty of our Government to defend its citizens against hostile elements, then I would contend that FF has failed to do this in relation to signing the bank guarantee, which now appears will bankrupt the country, inflict further paycuts and job losses on our people, as well as force thousanads to leave the country.

While I blame FF primarily for our economic woes, the austerity measures might have worked although painful for ordinary people. But having the bank bailout imposed on us, because FF gave a blanket guarantee, which has hoisted another 40-50 billion of sovereign debt onto the Irish people, rendering us with an impossible debt.

Its not as though there were no people or groups opposed to the blanket guarantee, the unions and Labour party spring to mind, as well a few economists, who now appear to have been proved right in the fears they expressed at the time.

FF have capitulated to the banks and bondholders, rather than showing any backbone and standing up for our people in the face of adversity. I would contend this constitutes a betrayal of the Irish people in our hour of need by FF, which can only be described as treasonous.

While I would always subscribe to peaceful change of Government, assuming this is done in the coming months, we should now be seeking that the new Government, along with beginning the rebuilding of our country, should ensure that those FF/ Green/ PD/ Independents who were party to this betrayal, are tried for treason, economic treason if you wish and sentenced accordingly.

ellie08

If you consider that it is the duty of our Government to defend its citizens against hostile elements, then I would contend that FF has failed to do this in relation to signing the bank guarantee, which now appears will bankrupt the country, inflict further paycuts and job losses on our people, as well as force thousanads to leave the country.

While I blame FF primarily for our economic woes, the austerity measures might have worked although painful for ordinary people. But having the bank bailout imposed on us, because FF gave a blanket guarantee, which has hoisted another 40-50 billion of sovereign debt onto the Irish people, rendering us with an impossible debt.

Its not as though there were no people or groups opposed to the blanket guarantee, the unions and Labour party spring to mind, as well a few economists, who now appear to have been proved right in the fears they expressed at the time.

FF have capitulated to the banks and bondholders, rather than showing any backbone and standing up for our people in the face of adversity. I would contend this constitutes a betrayal of the Irish people in our hour of need by FF, which can only be described as treasonous.

While I would always subscribe to peaceful change of Government, assuming this is done in the coming months, we should now be seeking that the new Government, along with beginning the rebuilding of our country, should ensure that those FF/ Green/ PD/ Independents who were party to this betrayal, are tried for treason, economic treason if you wish and sentenced accordingly.
+1

nonpartyboy

You wouldn't be the first to suggest this.

Holy Cow

Why bother with a trial? And before any trial,make sure hanging is back on the statute books.

PrinceMax

If you start trying people for treason for making mistakes, then you discourage people from going into politics. They may have got it all wrong (and don't forget FG also supported the guarantee), but there is nothing to suggest that it is treason. They just had a silly theory about the best way to resolve the crisis. Unfortunately it didn't work out.

borntorum

I think this is the first time someone on politics.ie has suggested that FF should be removed from government.

Echolalia

I would consider Brian Lenihan's removal of the €5 million Limit stopping Debtors from removing their deposits from Anglo as constructive treason

ocoonassa

If you start trying people for treason for making mistakes, then you discourage people from going into politics. They may have got it all wrong (and don't forget FG also supported the guarantee), but there is nothing to suggest that it is treason. They just had a silly theory about the best way to resolve the crisis. Unfortunately it didn't work out.
Indeed. The treason lies with the people who voted them into power, and also with the people who voted for those numerous TD's on the opposition benches, who have gone along with the governments economic analysis and remedies. Those citizens who did that are the ones who should be strung up, even if only in a metaphorical sense, not the donkeys that they abdicated power to.

The same treasonous fools will at the very next opportunity do the whole thing all over again with a new set of donkeys. It's enough to make you weep.

sue flanker

Indeed. The treason lies with the people who voted them into power, and also with the people who voted for those numerous TD's on the opposition benches, who have gone along with the governments economic analysis and remedies. Those citizens who did that are the ones who should be strung up, even if only in a metaphorical sense, not the donkeys that they abdicated power to.

The same treasonous fools will at the very next opportunity do the whole thing all over again with a new set of donkeys. It's enough to make you weep.
Agree with everything but weep , more like puke.

disgruntledcitizen

treason is the deliberate, intentional betrayal of ones country, FF are not guilty of same, they are simply inept, incapable, populist, parish pump gombeens, there has not been a single statesman amongst them since Lemass, so much as it is tempting to call them traitors one cannot, at best gob************************es is what they can be called....

of course the same can be said at many who voted for them (something i for one have a clean consensus on)

justme1

And ye if you drop the salaries of politicians you will stop them from going into politics too as they will get it in the Private sector...Blah blah blah.....

controller

If new laws were brought in to deal with political corruption, would they be retrospective, or could they be. Remember these people have drafted the laws where you go to jail for not having a tv licence, but not for white collar crime.

My daddy was a publican, he has retired, I've just finished college, therefore I am good enough, mature enough and with enough life & business experience to draft legislation to run this country

No wonder we are screwed........

PrinceMax

And ye if you drop the salaries of politicians you will stop them from going into politics too as they will get it in the Private sector...Blah blah blah.....
Nope. But you can't try politicians for making mistakes. It isn't illegal to be stupid.

Super8

As tempting as it is, the Treason Act 1939 seems to specifically refer to acts of war or violence on the State only.

"WHEREAS it is provided by Article 39 of the Constitution that treason shall consist only in levying war against the State, or assisting any State or person or inciting or conspiring with any person to levy war against the State, or attempting by force of arms or other violent means to overthrow the organs of government established by the Constitution, or taking part or being concerned in or inciting or conspiring with any person to make or to take part or be concerned in any such attempt:"

Treason Act, 1939

Raketemensch

Anything that would stop the likes of the Lenihans, Coughlans, Haugheys etc. from going into politics would be a dream beyond comprehension. Let's do it now!

anewbeginning

Despite all that's happened, Brian Cowen will be re-elected in Offaly, so will Lenihan, Coughlan, WO'D and many many more FF TDs.

The Irish Electorate are in the main idiots. So they deserve absolutely everything that happens to them.

As long as there are enough idiots to vote FF, this country will be a basketcase and an economic wasteland for decades to come.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies