• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

'Get out of your house! We have a bonfire to burn'

theloner

Families living beside a bonfire site in east Belfast have moved out of their homes. There are four streets in the area affected by one of the biggest bonfires elderly unionist councilor Jim Rogers has ever seen, and Jimbo has seen his fair share of Orange bonfires. The pyre is 30ft from terraced houses at Chobham Street and the Fire Service has warned that houses in the streets are in danger of catching alight on the eleventh night. The pyre is also situated just yards from Walkway Community Centre. Some workers in the centre paid for protection to the building out of their own pocket.

Work is currently ongoing on houses in the area to protect their windows from unionist culture.

The bonfire builders have refused to scale down or move the pyre despite efforts by all the agencies to get a reasonable resolution to the problem. The thing is, it shouldn't be up to this mob of knuckle-draggers whether their festival of hate is moved, as the land is owned by Department for Regional Development. Frightened residents said that endless meetings with the DRD, Belfast City Council and the Fire Service had got them nowhere. Sources said that officials didn't want to intervene to reduce the size of the bonfire because they feared that would lead to a riot.

One homeowner said: "Nobody is willing to take action. Rather than act now to prevent disaster, their attitude seems to be that they'll just mop up the mess after the eleventh night."

Insurance companies have told some homeowners that they won't accept liability if the properties are destroyed or damaged by fire. Others have told Regional Development Minister Danny Kennedy that his department will be held legally liable if their properties catch fire.

2015-07-09_new_11000579_I2.jpg

Happy 12th of July! 12803.gif

Belfast residents fear whole street could go up when massive bonfire is ignited - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Last edited:

between the bridges

Good man lonely, and hapi twelfth to you too...

McSlaggart

The thing is, it shouldn't be up to this mob of knuckle-draggers whether their festival of hate is moved, as the land is owned by Department for Regional Development.
This is a defining aspect of what it means to be a unionist. Culture of the Celts should always be an aspect of our modern life.

PaddyO'Neill

So the Fire Service has said it could burn down houses yet no one will remove it?

Wtf?

Paddyc

I see a "For Sale" sign on one of those houses.

Good luck with that!

I presume there won't be any viewings this weekend.

theloner

So the Fire Service has said it could burn down houses yet no one will remove it?

Wtf?
They were afraid to upset the loyalist youths who have been skipping class for months to collect the wood. Get with the program Paddy.

vivabrigada

"Why build houses beside bonfires?"
An actual comment from a bonfire supporter on Radio Ulster just now.
What dafuq is that about?

Ó Ghabhainn

"Why build houses beside bonfires?"
An actual comment from a bonfire supporter on Radio Ulster just now.
What dafuq is that about?
Brains to burn, there.

vivabrigada

Tragic news from Whitehead:
NI Memes
7 hrs ·

Whitehead bonfire just burnt out. You pack of bastards. Why not leave it alone. ************************************g soap dodgers... BG
At least the houses survived.

PaddyO'Neill

Soap dodgers. This is the same kind of person I bet that claims Taigs don't work in one breath then that we have infiltrated all the highest powered jobs in another breath.

I've seen that one a few times.

vivabrigada

Soap dodgers. This is the same kind of person I bet that claims Taigs don't work in one breath then that we have infiltrated all the highest powered jobs in another breath.

I've seen that one a few times.
When these rockets refer to Catholics as soap dodgers, I automatically question their own personal hygiene regime. Not a nice thought.

happytuesdays

Is this actually dangerous and is this a catholic neighbourhood?
If the answer is no and no what's the problem?
If the answer is no and yes lighten up.

theloner

Right, who left the door open again?

vivabrigada

Keeping up with all these premature ignitions is getting very TYREing.

GDPR

It would be for the best if we could all think of stuff to do with Northern Ireland in universalist rather than tribal terms. So instead of seeing things in terms of Jaffa Cakes and Tea eggs see things in terms of good and evil, truth and error, etc.

A lot of Jaffa Cakes actually despise these bonfires and it is Jaffa Cakes who suffer most at the hands of the scum who are really into them. Marching season promotes the hatred of Ulster Scots and therefore I believed in should banned.

GDPR

I'm sorry but I find some of these comments disgraceful. It's absolutely criminal that this should be permitted to happen. The people in this street are under seige, for God's sake, and the NI Housing Executive, Fire Brigade and Environment Agency are doing nothing about a massive potential loss of life and damage to property. Even the household insurers have said If this goes ahead, you won't get a pay-out from us.

Are you all bonkers? In any half-way decent country, the authorities would be terrified of having their asses sued off them, sackings all round, and a major scandal in the press should they just stand idly by.

Bonfire fears: Housing Executive boards up 52 houses where residents are afraid whole street will go up in flames - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

former wesleyan

It would be for the best if we could all think of stuff to do with Northern Ireland in universalist rather than tribal terms. So instead of seeing things in terms of Jaffa Cakes and Tea eggs see things in terms of good and evil, truth and error, etc.

A lot of Jaffa Cakes actually despise these bonfires and it is Jaffa Cakes who suffer most at the hands of the scum who are really into them. Marching season promotes the hatred of Ulster Scots and therefore I believed in should banned.
Awful waste of ham sammidges.

GDPR

"Why do they build houses near bonfires?" - caller on the Stephen Nolan Show...

OK, which of you was it? :)

InsideImDancing

The answer is yes on the dangerous front. Will do damage to those gaffes.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies