• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Get out your shovels people ..Varadkar wants us to repair your own potholes

robut

Residents may have to share cost of repairing roads – or grab a shovel - National News - Independent.ie

THE public may be asked to get out their shovels and wallets if they want their local road repaired.

Transport Minister Leo Varadkar says a new scheme will allow people to help share the cost of repairing local roads – or do it themselves – from next year.

Between €5m and €10m will be made available from the Government, with further funding to be sourced from the public.

He added it would allow minor works such as potholes to be repaired which might otherwise not be addressed.
Mmmm ... So, why are we embarking on paying property tax if it looks like now we will have to fork out and pay for our own local road repairs? And do these repairs ourselves.

What about insurance if a DIY is not up to standard? Will we all have to now take out public liability insurance on the road and path outside our house?

damus

They are already running this scheme down in Roscommon....there local residents have to stump up 25% of the total costs of the repairs.

tigerben

Only for the fact there's Christmas songs on the radio, I'd of thought I'd fast forwarded to April 1st. Leo Vagrabkar and FG would take a wedding ring off a dead person at this stage.

cillian32

The Irish people are well and truly broken at this stage....Leo could probably get some of them to wipe the sh1t from his ass and make them pay for the pleasure.

damus

Only for the fact there's Christmas songs on the radio, I'd of thought I'd fast forwarded to April 1st. Leo Vagrabkar and FG would take a wedding ring off a dead person at this stage.
Sure they're planning to make dead people's organs the property of the state unless you sign on the dotted line!

ruserious

Don't the government have a duty of care to us, motor tax paying public, to ensure the safety of our roads. How do they know that the public will do a safe job?

damus

Don't the government have a duty of care to us, motor tax paying public, to ensure the safety of our roads. How do they know that the public will do a safe job?
Aside from that what happens if local communities cannot afford to stump up 25% of the total costs of repair? This kind of right winged policy is about government slowly abdicating responsibility from having to provide a whole range of traditional public services....nothing more, nothing less.

Radix

Well as Seanie Fitzpatrick said with some irony, "we are in a new paradigm now".

Best to just get on with it, and stir a revolution in time for the next election.

neveragain

They are already running this scheme down in Roscommon....there local residents have to stump up 25% of the total costs of the repairs.
You beat me to it damus, and they think they might have a chance of a seat by lumping us in with East Galway. :evil:

Fractional Reserve

stop whinging and pay your taxes fix them roads and be glad you have a dirt track , look at all the beautiful efficient services that your frugal politicians local and national provide you with .The state owns you so stop giving out , give them all your loot and put your shoulder to the wheel you know Enda , Eamo and Leo loves ya .

damus

You beat me to it damus, and they think they might have a chance of a seat by lumping us in with East Galway. :evil:
Do you know what happens if the local community cannot afford the 25% co-payment....do the roads get repaired...or are they just left to become a greater potential hazard?

Hitch 22

Has Leo been dipping into his Paul Newman DVD boxset?

[video=youtube;SOWkPk2ETXc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOWkPk2ETXc[/video]

EUrJokingMeRight

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h aha :D

:D

:D

This country is a ************************king joke.

Asparagus

I like Leo's thinking.

in Fact I am going to explore other avenues of how i can do the work of the state for free.
I am thinking about say a DIY revenue collection and then a corresponding DIY redistribution of wealth.
So i can save the Revenue the bother of collecting my property tax and then i will spend that money on an increase in childrens allowance in my home or a new "nice food initiative" i am hoping to extend to my wife and child next year.

Jackass

Christy Moore and Bernard Cribbins could have a hit with this latest idea of the "Lip of Laurel Lodge".
"Don't forget your shovel if ya wanna go ta work" and fill that "Hole in the ground"
There is a hole in my neighbours rear entrance which Leo is welcome to fill.

mary_queen_of_the_gael

Interesting. CJH, the Squire, had a nondescript running mate whose name escapes me and most others. His human surplus had, it is said, a tool shop near Killester and it had a huge contract to supply tools at inflated prices to the various semi state agencies. Wuill shovels have to be bought through a FG/Labour/OIRA approved outlet?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies