Getting a PhD in D&D

O'Sullivan Bere

When is someone in the parenting, schools and authorities going to do something about this and the problem of drunk and disorderly behaviour?
Students bring freshers' week chaos to Belfast Holylands - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

This is a real quality of life problem for neighbouring tenants as well as upbringing the youth. Don't get me wrong...I enjoyed my youth with some wild times and still like to go out responsibly for the craic, but the key is responsibly.

This is a problem in Ireland itself, not just Belfast, and it plays to the ancient stereotypes about Ireland and our people too. I've witnessed much of the same in Derry and the ROI, and not just on special weekends....going out in cities and towns with predominantly young people absolutely banjaxed beyond repair passing out and falling all over themselves, puking and p!ssing in public, unreasonable noise, lewd behaviour, brawling, vandalism, nearly falling into moving cars and such.

Even abroad I've watched us get a notorious reputation with huge house parties by summer workers from Ireland brawling, wretching in public, public disorderly conduct, wrecking rentals in wild parties in Australia and the US, even a sad case of an upper deck collapsing killing plenty, etc.

Granted, most people behave properly, but it's a problem. What's your suggested solutions? We need much better policing of popular drinking areas plus school sanctions for disorderly students for starters--especially on weekends, holidays and big events.

CastleRay

The Holylands is a mess. Loads of young culchies on the rip with no regard for neighbours who have lived there for years or have young families. QUB and UU need to build better student accommodation in dedicated location and control it. Any shenanigans in the Holylands needs to be dealt with by the law. These are adults and no adult should be beyond the law.

Irish-Rationalist

I lived in Camden Street, which runs from University Road to the Lisburn Road for 7 years. I witnessed student behaviour at first hand, and came to the conclusion that if you don't want to experience their madness, you have to leave that area. And that is the decision which older non-student residents of the Hoylands area are faced with. That area is always going to be a student area, and whilst there are measures which the University authorities can take in tandem with the PSNI to curtail drunk and disorderly behaviour, realistically, students are going to be students and carry on regardless.

O'Sullivan Bere

I lived in Camden Street, which runs from University Road to the Lisburn Road for 7 years. I witnessed student behaviour at first hand, and came to the conclusion that if you don't want to experience their madness, you have to leave that area. And that is the decision which older non-student residents of the Hoylands area are faced with. That area is always going to be a student area, and whilst there are measures which the University authorities can take in tandem with the PSNI to curtail drunk and disorderly behaviour, realistically, students are going to be students and carry on regardless.
I'd buy that to some degree, but not to the extents in this case.

Many areas around the globe have noise restrictions, and some have zones where more noise levels can be expected for certain late hours, such as student areas and/or popular club areas. If you choose to live on Grafton Street in Dublin for example, people are going to be out and about at late hours and ordinary noise from the pubs and shops should be expected. If you want utter peace and quiet, move rural.

Even then, though, there are reasonable limits even for such areas. This isn't a case of crabby killjoys demanding unreasonable quiet in a social quarter. They shouldn't be kept up all night experiencing screaming and hollering, lewd acts, brawling, using properties and streets as toilets and sick bags, etc, or experiencing vandalism and such.

It's the idea that "students are going to be students and carry on regardless". I'm all for the craic myself and youths being youths, but it's not an entitlement to be outright feral about it.

It seems you agree with that by mentioning measures should be taken, but you shouldn't have to leave a place like Camden Street because it goes to that level. That's the concern besides public safety itself...when reasonable tenants must endure unreasonable conduct.

O'Sullivan Bere

The Holylands is a mess. Loads of young culchies on the rip with no regard for neighbours who have lived there for years or have young families. QUB and UU need to build better student accommodation in dedicated location and control it. Any shenanigans in the Holylands needs to be dealt with by the law. These are adults and no adult should be beyond the law.
Agreed.

QUB and UU should also take administrative sanctions against students that get cited by the PSNI for disorderly related offences as well as handling civil complaints from the community about a student's alleged illegal misconduct. If the school determines that the PSNI or civil complaint is clearly valid, then school sanctions should be in order. They could also have someone out there from the school minding for any illegal misconduct.

I'm not talking the schools doing the old morality enforcement stuff of hassling ordinary youths having fun.
Heaven Help Us -- priests raiding fun after-school hangout shop scene
@ 3:20
Just the self-evident stuff that speaks for itself as unlawful anywhere.

Cruimh

Drunken students 'risking future careers', says university - BBC News

Speaking to the BBC, Queen's spokesperson Ciaran Rogan said any of their students who partake in such behaviour risk expulsion from the university which can, in turn, damage their career prospects.
Only risk? The buggers know it is unlikely to happen. And as regards career prospects - how many of the ones there actually care about the opportunity to get an education? A year long holiday away from the constraints of home ....

O'Sullivan Bere

So typical isn't it?

Discussing the matter on the BBC's Good Morning Ulster, SDLP Belfast City councillor Declan Boyle - who is also a landlord for Holylands properties - said people need to "face reality".

He said: "It was lively yesterday evening and the evening before. This is what happens in Freshers' Week, I don't excuse it, but this is what happens.
Yeah Boyle, you are excusing it. I'd wager he'd be right furious if his rental got wrecked by it though.

And as a politician, he needs to cop the F on about the difference between having the craic and delinquent behaviours, especially given the additional international bad reputation it causes to the Irish abroad in recent years because youths across Ireland can expect to act feral anywhere when partying thanks to clowns like him, e.g.,
Boozy students leave trail of destruction right across west coast of US - Independent.ie
Irish students who left destroyed apartment are shamed by the news in San Francisco
Western Australia threatens to deport drunken Irish troublemakers | IrishCentral.com

Too many politicians north and south are dogsh!t, picking up pay cheques for nothing.

Cruimh

So typical isn't it?

Yeah Boyle, you are excusing it. I'd wager he'd be right furious if his rental got wrecked by it though.

And as a politician, he needs to cop the F on about the difference between having the craic and delinquent behaviours, especially given the additional international bad reputation it causes to the Irish abroad in recent years because youths across Ireland can expect to act feral anywhere when partying thanks to clowns like him, e.g.,
Boozy students leave trail of destruction right across west coast of US - Independent.ie
Irish students who left destroyed apartment are shamed by the news in San Francisco
Western Australia threatens to deport drunken Irish troublemakers | IrishCentral.com

Too many politicians north and south are dogsh!t, picking up pay cheques for nothing.
Area should be curfewed. Miscreants suspended for a year, any repeat and expulsion.

belfast1981

I thought this was Dungeons and Dragons.

I leave this thread disappointed with my level 242 warlord.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies