• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Ghost Estates-demolish the lot!!!

Socratus O' Pericles

Ghost Estates of the Irish Property Bubble

I do not know who sponsors this nor have any connection to them but it seems an excellent forum to add to the debate in a pragmatic and very real way. There are a couple of ghost estates near where I live which should be in there.

Surely the time has come to de-zone (unzone)??? all the ghost estates and return the land to agricultural use.

As well as ghost housing estates there are heaps of ghost retail, industrial and leisure estates/complexes as well.

Demolish the lot and start again I say.

Cassandra Syndrome

Holy....

All those scarce resources used up to be demolished? As Oceanclub says, let the market sort the mess out. Sell them off at a couple of grand if need be.

Xiogenes

Ghost Estates of the Irish Property Bubble

I do not know who sponsors this nor have any connection to them but it seems an excellent forum to add to the debate in a pragmatic and very real way. There are a couple of ghost estates near where I live which should be in there.

Surely the time has come to de-zone (unzone)??? all the ghost estates and return the land to agricultural use.

As well as ghost housing estates there are heaps of ghost retail, industrial and leisure estates/complexes as well.

Demolish the lot and start again I say.
That's foresight alright. Like ripping up the rail network...

plenty of auctioneers agree with you though, and a few politicians, oh and a few vested interests, oh and a few couples with negative equity, oh wait and a few developers who wont be obliged to finish the estates....

With the list for social housing as long as ever, its highly ridiculous to propose such a thing as to tear down quality houses.

No infrastructure nearby..? when was there ever.

reknaw

What about the large numbers of Irish people who have been in the UK (and some other EU countries) for decades and are now retired or approaching retirement age? Some of them might like to return to the Auld Sod to spend their final years, but couldn't afford to buy a house in Ireland up to now. :)

They could, of course, rent housing, but maybe many of them have council homes in the UK and would be reluctant to give them up.

The Government could consider launching a scheme to house people like that in estates that have relatively good locations and rent them on favourable terms - anything would be better than the nothing that they are fetching now.

With their UK pensions, not all of which are paltry, people like that would add some spending power and stimulus to the economy.;)

locke

I wouldn't get too stressed about the ones around Dublin, Cork and Galway. Given a few years and a realistic price level and they will fill up.

The ones on Cavan and Longford, even the edge of commuter belt areas like Youghal, those are a different issue. They may have to be demolished.

Aristodemus

A good idea. But what happens to the much vaunted "long-term economic value" of these places? Does that mean that Frank Fahey is wrong and we won't make a profit on NAMA?

toughbutfair

If you drop the price enough people will buy them. A house in Leitrim might just get 10k but if you are willing to live there then it could be the house for you, buy for cash and live a life with no mortgage.

seabhcan

If you drop the price enough people will buy them. A house in Leitrim might just get 10k but if you are willing to live there then it could be the house for you, buy for cash and live a life with no mortgage.
Such houses would likely remain empty anyway, as people would buy they as cheap holiday homes and rarely use them.

So all the problems of empty houseing estates continues and the state gets small money in exchange.

Better to knock them really.

Porgie

I know some people believe (In fact I know a few of them!) that the mass demolition of properties will miraculously revive the property market. i.e. That this would lead to "recovery" of prices (their words, not mine!).

Explaintions of why high house prices is a bad thing, that got the country in the mess it's in, and many of the same people's expressions gloss over because they dont want to know. Understandable when you think of what many paid for poorly located and constructed dog boxes. Negative equity horror show is what it is!

The property dream was a massive ponzi scheme and many people got burned. But instead of taking a short sharp shock and let the market find its own floor the govt has tied our national fortunes to long term economic value and the NAMA magic, which will destroy the country for a generation in my opinion.

Sure, knock half built sites alright but I am not going to accept that fully finished houses cant be sold irrespective of location. Everything has a price but that firesale price obviously horrifies the vested interests.

Malboury

If they haven't been filled in the next few years then demolishing might be the only thing to do out of practicality; won't a timber frame house that goes unlived in for years end up basically ruined? (I'm not a builder, just heard this is true. Does anyone else know more?)

dónal na geallaí

If they haven't been filled in the next few years then demolishing might be the only thing to do out of practicality; won't a timber frame house that goes unlived in for years end up basically ruined? (I'm not a builder, just heard this is true. Does anyone else know more?)
This is the same mentality that had Ireland a net exporter of food right through the Famine.Or food being dumped in Biafra Bay just before the Nigerian Civil War.Timber frame houses seem to last for decades in Oz,Canada and USA.I'm no builder either btw.Yeah,we could bring thousands of pensioners back from UK with their sterling pensions;but that is far too sensible.And if I was them I wouldn't come anyhow - you never know when some gombeen politician will decide to change the goalposts.

Let these houses out for 3/5 years on a peppercorn rent just to keep them warm and dry? Yes again but see above.Our 'entitled' builder/owner/developer class don't want anything too complex.Just give them loads of folding money to cover their self inflicted ,greed inspired losses and nothing more will be said.Any governing party that stands up to them will soon find out who is the boss.Thats just the way it is babe.

foreignfield80

This agenda of knocking housing is straight out of developer think. Rising property prices will not get our economy going again. Anyone pushing this idea has a vested interest in high property prices.
Demolishing finished housing in an attempt to push up prices is grotesque in the extreme, let the market find it's floor, learn from the very recent past.

Twin Towers

We have huge numbers of people collecting rent allowances and they should be catered for first with cheap loans that are manageable on benefits with the proviso that they can't be sold for 15 years or so.

reknaw

We have huge numbers of people collecting rent allowances and they should be catered for first with cheap loans that are manageable on benefits with the proviso that they can't be sold for 15 years or so.
Definitely worth thinking about.:)

Demolition would be nothing more than waste. And we have had enough of that in Ireland.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

zippo222

Just imagine if they did demolish them. You'd have oul fellas like meself boring the youngsters in years to come, with the line " I remember this when it was all houses. " .

Paddythai

How did some of these estates get planning permission anyway. Were'nt the development plans being implemented by the planners?

If Ireland is to again become competitive then these already built cheap houses should help people to work on lower wages to pay the lower mortgages on our surplus housing. The same should be true for retail space. Drop the rents and local young peole can afford to open little craft shops etc. As it is now, we live in a bankrupt country with empty retail and commercial units with high asking rents.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies