Ghost Town - 2nd city main street daily closure - 40% decline in footfall and a 60% slump in turnover

robut

Ghost Town - 2nd city main street daily closure - 40% decline in footfall and a 60% slump in turnover

The main street in Cork City - Patrick St - is closed each day from 3pm to 6.30pm. Except for buses, taxi's, bikes.

Apparently at about 2pm on, people are in a mad rush to get out of dodge before the 3pm "curfew" .. as some see it. What it really shows up is if we cant drive to & park the car .. literally ... at the doorway of where we are going then forget it

Ghost town: Cork traders threaten rates revolt over city centre car ban

Traders in Cork City have threatened to withhold their commercial rates unless city bosses scrap the St Patrick’s St car ban.

The possible rates revolt emerged as business owners on the city’s main street claimed afternoon trade has been decimated and jobs are now at risk since the city council introduced a three-and-a-half hour daily car ban on the street just over two weeks ago.

The news emerged following a meeting of city officials and representatives of the Cork Business Association (CBA) some of whose members have reported a 40% decline in footfall and a 60% slump in turnover since the time-regulated bus lane was established on St Patrick’s St.

I added this here in economy section instead of Cork section because I think, economically it is something of general interest for everyone to discuss. I wonder might this be the thinking in other towns and cities across the country?

It brings up the debate about public transport, lack of & inefficiencies. Park and ride facilities. City and town centre parking. And how people shop and where.

Apparently there is a recent report that showed something like 65% of traffic flowing through Patrick Street never stops, its being used to cross the city.

What i found amazing about this is the minute this regime came into place 2 weeks ago Foot Fall, Turnover in city centre businesses dropped through the floor. That sudden.

Being discussed on local radio, utterances come out that a number of businesses will either be closed or curtail there opening hours within next 3 months if this carries on. Does this show us that many businesses are just hanging in there? Whats up?

Are there other issues in retail in general and this is just the last straw thats pushing them over the edge?

Last edited:

Morgellons

I can't see how people driving down Patrick's street support local traders-most are just passing through, on the way to somewhere else. If they want to go shopping they still can, they can park up and stroll to the shops-like they always did.

That said it is very quiet at that time there now but that's good for all the gypsies sleeping in the doorways, now they can get a nice uninterrupted sleep.

former wesleyan

I've only ever driven in Patrick Street to get to parking. It's been illegal to park there since forever. I suppose the idea is to help speed up public transport ?

robut

I can't see how people driving down Patrick's street support local traders-most are just passing through, on the way to somewhere else. If they want to go shopping they still can, they can park up and stroll to the shops-like they always did.

That said it is very quiet at that time there now but that's good for all the gypsies sleeping in the doorways, now they can get a nice uninterrupted sleep.
Because, apparently at about 2pm on people are in a mad rush to get out of dodge before the 3pm "curfew" .. as some see it. What it really shows up is if we cant drive to & park the car .. literally ... at the doorway of where we are going then forget it.

Morgellons

I've only ever driven in Patrick Street to get to parking. It's been illegal to park there since forever. I suppose the idea is to help speed up public transport ?
Yes, that was the thinking behind it. The bus has speeded up a bit, but not that much. It still gets stuck at pedestrian traffic lights and until Patrick street it's as busy as ever. The buses were averaging 6kph a driver told me-don't know what they're clocking now.

robut

Exactly ... so thats why I am a bit confused as to why such a dramatic sudden drop in business for city centre traders.

Morgellons

Because, apparently at about 2pm on people are in a mad rush to get out of dodge before the 3pm "curfew" .. as some see it. What it really shows up is if we cant drive to & park the car .. literally ... at the doorway of where we are going then forget it.
But the park houses are still available and there is nowhere to park on Patrick street anyway. I don'think fully understand it but I appreciate your point.

robut

But the park houses are still available and there is nowhere to park on Patrick street anyway. I don'think fully understand it but I appreciate your point.
Im in the same boat .. confused.

Many traders on the radio saying it seems a confused message has gone out to people that the city is closed from 3 to 6.30pm. Now i also heard they are apparently removing quiet a few on street parking spaces around the other streets also.

Morgellons

Maybe they should turn it back into a river-that would boost trade-they could have lots of sails!

former wesleyan

I see Pat sorry-we-don't sell-herrings O'Connell is complaining !

robut

I see Pat sorry-we-don't sell-herrings O'Connell is complaining !
The same crowd that complained and whinged at the new Capitol Centre ( in place of the Capitol Cinema ) being turned into a world class food hall joined to the english market. And now what are we left with. No shopping centre .. just a track suit shop and a homeware store

SEAMAI

It's hard to imagine that anyone is benefitting from this, pedestrians still have to look left and right before crossing the street, cyclists are still using the footpaths, buses may travel the length of Pana quicker but once they come off it are plunged into chaos.

I'm all for pedestrianiseation but this is neither flesh nor fish. Let's not forget the good burghers of Cork City Council who brought us this are the same group of people who messed up areas like Pope's Quay and Washington Street with their "reconfiguration" a few years ago.

Dame_Enda

FG broke its promise to end upward only rate reviews. If they did so it would help.

ionsniffer

the English market shuts at 5pm approx when thousands leave work hungry going home for dinner. you'd have to wonder!
the majority of cafes also close. bloody stupid, backward crap

venusian

The main street in Cork City - Patrick St - is closed each day from 3pm to 6.30pm. Except for buses, taxi's, bikes.

Apparently at about 2pm on, people are in a mad rush to get out of dodge before the 3pm "curfew" .. as some see it. What it really shows up is if we cant drive to & park the car .. literally ... at the doorway of where we are going then forget it

I added this here in economy section instead of Cork section because I think, economically it is something of general interest for everyone to discuss. I wonder might this be the thinking in other towns and cities across the country?

It brings up the debate about public transport, lack of & inefficiencies. Park and ride facilities. City and town centre parking. And how people shop and where.

Apparently there is a recent report that showed something like 65% of traffic flowing through Patrick Street never stops, its being used to cross the city.

What i found amazing about this is the minute this regime came into place 2 weeks ago Foot Fall, Turnover in city centre businesses dropped through the floor. That sudden.

Being discussed on local radio, utterances come out that a number of businesses will either be closed or curtail there opening hours within next 3 months if this carries on. Does this show us that many businesses are just hanging in there? Whats up?

Are there other issues in retail in general and this is just the last straw thats pushing them over the edge?
Useless waste of space now unfortunately DCC joke "manager" Kevin Keegan, destroyed the economic heart of Dun Laoghaire in a very similar manner. When he left Dun Laoghaire council it was their gain and Dublin's loss!

gerhard dengler

What is the footfall at Mahon Point, during the same hours?

A lot of city centres have been "hollowed out" because various local councils decided that it was better to flog off land to retail developers/pension funds to create retail parks. The result is that the retail commercial centre of large cities/urban centres are dying.

Take Dublin, the suburbs are ringed with retail parks/developements (Dundrum, The Square, Liffey Valley, Pavilion Shopping Centre,
Charlestown SC, Blanchardstown SC). Folks in each of those localities and people on the "country side" of those locations have no need to travel
all the way in to say Henry Street/Grafton St to shop.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies