• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Gibraltar Post Brexit - Spain closer to taking control?

ger12

“Our formula… is British-Spanish co-sovereignty for a determined period of time, which after that time has elapsed, will head towards the restitution of Gibraltar to Spanish sovereignty,” Spain's Foreign has said.

A huge 96% of those who cast their ballot voted to remain in the European Union.

Mr Margallo said that a solution would still have to be found if Gibraltar wanted to keep its access to the EU’s single market, which it relies on to a large extent for its thriving economy.

Brexit fallout - now Spain says it's close to taking back Gibraltar

A real possibility?

PBP voter

Nope. They won't give it up. None of the residence will want to either.

People are hysterical after the result.

In a few weeks things will calm down.

ruserious

Spain's position on Gibraltar quickly becomes hypocritical when you hear what they have to say about Cueta and other Spanish cities in North Africa.

PBP voter

time for spain to take Gib back :D
On 12 July 2002 the Foreign Secretary, Jack Straw, in a formal statement in the House of Commons, said that after twelve months of negotiation the British Government and Spain are in broad agreement on many of the principles that should underpin a lasting settlement of Spain's sovereignty claim, which included the principle that Britain and Spain should share sovereignty over Gibraltar.
Do you approve of the principle that Britain and Spain should share sovereignty over Gibraltar?[8]

Yes 1.03%
No 98.48%

Brexit changes very little.

The Field Marshal

Im hoping that Britain will simply annex another few square miles in the Gibraltor region.

The Spaniards have done little with the land.

D

Deleted member 17573

“Our formula… is British-Spanish co-sovereignty for a determined period of time, which after that time has elapsed, will head towards the restitution of Gibraltar to Spanish sovereignty,” Spain's Foreign has said.

A huge 96% of those who cast their ballot voted to remain in the European Union.

Mr Margallo said that a solution would still have to be found if Gibraltar wanted to keep its access to the EU’s single market, which it relies on to a large extent for its thriving economy.

A real possibility?
Not a chance - Gib held a referendum on joint sovereignty in 2002 and it was voted down by 98.5% of the population. They are implacably opposed to Spain having any saying in the running of the Rock. This is just sabre rattling by the Spaniards in the middle of an election campaign. And the Spanish have not been endearing themselves to Gibraltarians of late with deliberately disruptive border checks, which proved more inconvenient to Spanish workers from La Linea working across the border in Gib than anyone else .
The apes will not be leaving for a long, long time:lol:

D

Deleted member 17573

Spain's position on Gibraltar quickly becomes hypocritical when you hear what they have to say about Cueta and other Spanish cities in North Africa.
A great way to silence Spaniards when they start bitchin' about Gib is to mention the Spanisn enclaves in Morocco!

The Field Marshal

A great way to silence Spaniards when they start bitchin' about Gib is to mention the Spanisn enclaves in Morocco!
Surely Britain is entitled to annex additional land from Spain?

I have noticed large swathes of unpopulated empty unused land close to the Gibraltor /Spanish border.

Spain has no use for such land and little Gibraltor could cetainly do with a little extra breathing space.

owedtojoy

A real possibility?
It is real possibility, something like China and Hong Kong, with more local autonomy for Gibraltar. It the Spanish play their cards intelligently (no guarantee of that, of course), it could happen.

At least the UK citizens of Gibraltar realise no one in the UK gives a flying f*ck about them or what they do. A mini-Scotland.

If I was an inhabitant of the Falklands, I would feel kinda uneasy. No possibility now of a divided and chaotic Britain sending a task force.

D

Deleted member 17573

Surely Britain is entitled to annex additional land from Spain?

I have noticed large swathes of unpopulated empty unused land close to the Gibraltor /Spanish border.

Spain has no use for such land and little Gibraltor could cetainly do with a little extra breathing space.
Have you ever tried to negotiate anything with a Spaniard? They remind me of Mercurial - always right.:lol:

Vega1447

Im hoping that Britain will simply annex another few square miles in the Gibraltor region.

The Spaniards have done little with the land.
While I'm hoping that Prussia will annex the Isle of Wight.

The Wighties have done very little with the island. Perhaps a dead Prussian General might be appointed Governor?

D

Deleted member 17573

It is real possibility, something like China and Hong Kong, with more local autonomy for Gibraltar. It the Spanish play their cards intelligently (no guarantee of that, of course), it could happen.

At least the UK citizens of Gibraltar realise no one in the UK gives a flying f*ck about them or what they do. A mini-Scotland.

If I was an inhabitant of the Falklands, I would feel kinda uneasy. No possibility now of a divided and chaotic Britain sending a task force.
The return of HK was required by a treaty, whereas Gibraltar's right not to be governed by Spain is guaranteed by treaty. And the Gibraltarians will not volunteer to join Spain.

Rocky

Thankfully Argentina now has a solid President who want to rebuild relations with the West and is not going to destroy all that by invading the Falklands. If it was before the last presidential election, I would have been worried though.

Dame_Enda

Blair was willing to share sovereignty before the Caruana govt threw a spanner in the works with his referendum which went 99% against.

I have always felt Spain has a strong moral case for return based on Gibraltar's artificial status. The original population largely were either expelled by the Brits or were encouraged to leave during the original British siege in 1704 in expectation of coming back. The king who signed it permanently to Britain , Philip V, was the French inheritor of the Spanish throne. The current population were largely imported from other Mediterranean countries and to a lesser extent Britain.

On the other hand Spain is an economic basket case. And obscure territories have their uses. So on balance the UK maybe should hold onto it or let it be independent

Last edited:

The Field Marshal

Have you ever tried to negotiate anything with a Spaniard? They remind me of Mercurial - always right.:lol:
Britain has nukes.

A simple threat should be enough.

PBP voter

So we have had the Scot,NI and Gibraltar thread.

About time somebody started one on Cornwall?

Cornwall votes for Brexit and then pleads to keep EU funding | Home News | News | The Independent
The Cornish council has issued a plea for “protection” following the United Kingdom’s vote to leave the European Union.

Cornwall, which has a poor economy and as such has received millions of pounds in subsidies from the EU each year for over a decade, voted decisively to Leave

Hilarious stuff from these clowns.

The Field Marshal

While I'm hoping that Prussia will annex the Isle of Wight.

The Wighties have done very little with the island. Perhaps a dead Prussian General might be appointed Governor?
Prussia does not exist and Germany currently anyway has no territorial ambitions on Britain.

Britain already has terittory adjoining Spain and needs more.

The Spaniards do not need all the land they have and most Europeans think they already have far far too much.

Personally I would like to see Britain acquire at least ten square miles of land to be added in the next five years to Gibraltor.
[And 100 square miles within the next 2o years]

That is a very small parcel amounting to about 10 miles by 10 miles.

The Spaniards need to cop on and see where their future lies.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Prussia does not exist and Germany currently anyway has no territorial ambitions on Britain.

Britain already has terittory adjoining Spain and needs more.

The Spaniards do not need all the land they have and most Europeans think they already have far far too much.

Personally I would like to see Britain acquire at least ten square miles of land to be added in the next five years to Gibraltor.
[And 100 square miles within the next 2o years]

That is a very small parcel amounting to about 10 miles by 10 miles.

The Spaniards need to cop on and see where their future lies.
Spaniards' futures lie very firmly within a zone that facilitates free movement of people.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies