Gillette new advert Toxic Masculinity

Lagertha

Apparently all you guys are a bunch of violent misogynistic potential rapists and Gillette has taken it upon themselves to make sure you are ''woke''. As a woman I'm actually really irritated by this ad because I find it patronising to men and I think it's encouraging men to feel badly about themselves. There will be no more Gillette products bought in this house.

We Believe: The Best Men Can Be | Gillette (Short Film) - YouTube

Cellachán Chaisil

Isn't it saying don't hide behind "masculinity" to exclude awful behaviours?

It's not saying you can't be masculine without being misogynistic potential rapists.

Herr Rommel

Apparently all you guys are a bunch of violent misogynistic potential rapists and Gillette has taken it upon themselves to make sure you are ''woke''. As a woman I'm actually really irritated by this ad because I find it patronising to men and I think it's encouraging men to feel badly about themselves. There will be no more Gillette products bought in this house.

We Believe: The Best Men Can Be | Gillette (Short Film) - YouTube
They are about to lose a fortune and when they start losing money it will be enjoyable to watch. This sort of lefty homosexual endorsed rubbish might finally be the tipping point.

Lagertha

It's it saying don't hide behind "masculinity" to exclude awful behaviours?

It's not saying you can't be masculine without being misogynistic potential rapists.
What it's doing is making men feel bad about themselves in order to try to get more women to buy their products. Women buy a lot of shaving products, by appealing to the all men are bad loon female market they are hoping to do more business. That ad is propaganda and it's not a good road to go down.

Lagertha

They are about to lose a fortune and when they start losing money it will be enjoyable to watch. This sort of lefty homosexual endorsed rubbish might finally be the tipping point.
Apparently there has been a massive backlash already. I don't think it is supported by gay men, most of them don't tend to buy into all this crap they just get on with their lives.

Bill

Don't use gillette razors , so I don't care.

Cellachán Chaisil

What it's doing is making men feel bad about themselves in order to try to get more women to buy their products. Women buy a lot of shaving products, by appealing to the all men are bad loon female market they are hoping to do more business. That ad is propaganda and it's not a good road to go down.
I think people who excuse ridiculous behaviours with the phrase "boys will be boys" should feel bad about themselves.

But that hardly represents all or even most men?

Gillette has you talking about it, it's achieved its aim.

Herr Rommel

Apparently there has been a massive backlash already. I don't think it is supported by gay men, most of them don't tend to buy into all this crap they just get on with their lives.
As you said most.

Lagertha

I think people who excuse ridiculous behaviours with the phrase "boys will be boys" should feel bad about themselves.

But that hardly represents all or even most men?

Gillette has you talking about it, it's achieved its aim.
If it's aim was to have sales nosedive and alienate the largest share of their market then yes, it has achieved it's aim.

hollandia

These two things are in no way linked. People don't buy things because other people feel bad about themselves. Try again. This is a false equivalence.

Last edited:

Alphonse

It don't find it patronising or irritating at all there are far more worse and annoying adverts out there. It has atleast some decent music and good footage and even if it is trying to sell its brand by portraying itself as being moral or ethical when it is just a company selling razors it still makes for a more interesting advert.

Cellachán Chaisil

If it's aim was to have sales nosedive and alienate the largest share of their market then yes, it has achieved it's aim.
You only think that's true because you think that most men believe ******************************************ry and masculinity are linked.

Spoilet alert:

They don't.

Cellachán Chaisil

silverharp

I wouldn’t have thought berating and lecturing your customer base is a strong move? Do female cantered hygiene products come with a wagging finger and listing negative female stereotypes?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies