Gillette new advert Toxic Masculinity

Herr Rommel

Yep, P&G are not worried about you 'Snowflakes'.
I have never used their razors. Bic and a block of soap all the way. The house is full of their cleaning products unless the missus gets a cheaper home brand.

P&G is a company with a lot of rich white old men making a lot of money who don't care about anything or anyone.

PBP voter

According to a 2016 report by Amnesty International, palm oil provider Wilmar International, the world's biggest palm oil grower in 2016 and supplier of raw materials to Procter & Gamble, profited from 8 to 14-year-old child labor and forced labor. Some workers were extorted, threatened, or not paid for work. Some workers also suffered severe injuries from toxic banned chemicals.[64]

Baron von Biffo

All you lovely lads not buying Gillette. I see their share price went up yesterday:

PG:USNew York

Procter & Gamble Co/The
COMPANY INFO
104.68USD
+0.88+0.85%

You guys need to make a bigger effort in your non buying of the Fairy Liquid etc.
What would it be if they hadn't called a sizeable chunk of their customers thugs?

Lagertha

According to a 2016 report by Amnesty International, palm oil provider Wilmar International, the world's biggest palm oil grower in 2016 and supplier of raw materials to Procter & Gamble, profited from 8 to 14-year-old child labor and forced labor. Some workers were extorted, threatened, or not paid for work. Some workers also suffered severe injuries from toxic banned chemicals.[64]
It always amazes me that palm oil is in so many products. I always read the ingredients on products before I buy them and anything with palm oil gets put back on the shelf. Most brands of peanut butter have it too, I wonder how many happy clappy earth warrior teens even think of that?

Or of the men women and children working in sweat shop death traps in developing countries who make the disposable cheap clothes they buy and which travel thousands of miles to make it to Penneys? My husband used to buy Gillette, now he uses King of Shaves and Bull Dog products instead, better quality, not tested on animals and not putting money in Gillettes coffers.

Polybius

its amusing that feminists are far left types are seeing corporatism and multinationals as some firm ally. In reality these corporation just want their money or to churn them in their cubical farms
Not only do they see the likes of Starbucks and Gillette as allies, they are moronic enough to believe that unelected tech oligarchs like Jack Dorsey and Mark Zuckerberg should be allowed to have a veto on who has free speech. They actually cheer every time the tech oligarchs restrict someone's freedom.

Lagertha

Not only do they see the likes of Starbucks and Gillette as allies, they are moronic enough to believe that unelected tech oligarchs like Jack Dorsey and Mark Zuckerberg should be allowed to have a veto on who has free speech. They actually cheer every time the tech oligarchs restrict someone's freedom.
Even the crustys at Shannon Airport today set up opposite the drive through Starbucks. Still, I suppose it gets a bit chilly by the runway and it's not like Trump would even have seen them where they were. But I'm sure they've got the nice warm glow of deluded self satisfaction to keep them warm in the peace tent tonight and if they get peckish they can just nip back to Starbucks for a hot chocolate and a brownie, best not to ask about the air miles though.:D

edg

All you lovely lads not buying Gillette. I see their share price went up yesterday:

PG:USNew York

Procter & Gamble Co/The
COMPANY INFO
104.68USD
+0.88+0.85%

You guys need to make a bigger effort in your non buying of the Fairy Liquid etc.
Don’t tell me you support Gillette’s sexist toxic masculinity ad? I thought you were a feminist and as such be opposed to sexist terms such as Toxic Masculinity. Not to mention the fact that this company is using sexism to sell its products.
As a feminist you should be dead against this. Are you no longer a feminist?

Emily Davison

Don’t tell me you support Gillette’s sexist toxic masculinity ad? I thought you were a feminist and as such be opposed to sexist terms such as Toxic Masculinity. Not to mention the fact that this company is using sexism to sell its products.
In what way am I a feminist? Are you not as much a feminist as I am?

petaljam

Or of the men women and children working in sweat shop death traps in developing countries who make the disposable cheap clothes they buy and which travel thousands of miles to make it to Penneys? My husband used to buy Gillette, now he uses King of Shaves and Bull Dog products instead, better quality, not tested on animals and not putting money in Gillettes coffers.
Just on this point : I read that when that factory in Bangladesh burned down with dozens if not hundreds of deaths of mostly female employees, Penneys were pretty much the only one of the many western contractors buying there to compensate their workers or their families speedily and generously. Several companies selling much more expensive clothes here were a lot more difficult about it.

So do try not to reach for the stereotypes all the time.

As for not testing on animals - you do realize that's only because they've copied other products for which the animal testing has already been done. It's a legal obligation, not a choice for the companies. So buying from a company that claims not to test on animals is literally no different than buying one of their older products from one that does.

Except for the slight dishonesty in misleading the ignorant, I suppose.

redmonite

Those are a new wave of people who call themselves feminists but who have no real clue what that word means. Feminism was intended to be about equality that's not what it means today. It doesn't benefit women who have worked really hard to be excellent in their field when women are being promoted based on gender quotas.

All it means is that her hard work and sacrifice is undermined by men who say ''you only got here because you're a woman'', because in many cases now that's true. It won't benefit women when women who were given positions or promoted to positions because of gender quotas when those women start to fook up and give men the chance to say ''I told you so''. All it should be about is equality and opportunity, just a level playing field where success is based on ability not gender or identity. Most men aren't oppressing women and most men don't have a problem with women succeeding, the ones that do have a problem with it always will have.
Pat Kenny was on a few weeks ago praising Helen McEntee and how he originally thought she was only appointed for gender balance. How very sad, 25 years ago ministers like Mary Harney or Mary O Rourke or Avril Doyle would have been seen to be there on merit, now when we see a female minister we think of her as a token. Feminists take note

SuirView

Pat Kenny was on a few weeks ago praising Helen McEntee and how he originally thought she was only appointed for gender balance. How very sad, 25 years ago ministers like Mary Harney or Mary O Rourke or Avril Doyle would have been seen to be there on merit, now when we see a female minister we think of her as a token. Feminists take note
Links?

petaljam

That's funny. On this very thread you have explicitly said more than once that toxic masculinity was a feminist trope. Have you changed your mind on that?

Let me guess, she doesn't understand the simple feminist concept of Toxic Masculinity either???
Just like I was pointing out that saying masculinity can be toxic is a version of the classic feminist sexist trope whereby men are depicted as prone to violence.
I

edg

That's funny. On this very thread you have explicitly said more than once that toxic masculinity was a feminist trope. Have you changed your mind on that?

I
Why are you having such difficulty admitting you are a feminist?

I think it’s because it proves the lie that feminism is not a collection of people who hate men.

If feminism believed in equality and a stop to gender based stereotypes and insults they would be on the frontline in calling out the sexist term Toxic Masculinity. They don’t though. They actually promote that sexist derogatory term.

Fact is, you are a feminist and you came here to insult the men and women who find Gillette’s advert and the term Toxic Masculinity sexist.
You are not a promoter of equality. You are promoting sexism.

petaljam

Why are you having such difficulty admitting you are a feminist?

I think it’s because it proves the lie that feminism is not a collection of people who hate men.

If feminism believed in equality and a stop to gender based stereotypes and insults they would be on the frontline in calling out the sexist term Toxic Masculinity. They don’t though. They actually promote that sexist derogatory term.

Fact is, you are a feminist and you came here to insult the men and women who find Gillette’s advert and the term Toxic Masculinity sexist.
You are not a promoter of equality. You are promoting sexism.
Why the personal attack instead of a reply to what you were actually asked?

Nah, don't bother, we can all see why - you got caught out being hypocritical yet again. :)

benroe

Why the personal attack instead of a reply to what you were actually asked?

Nah, don't bother, we can all see why - you got caught out being hypocritical yet again. :)
Whats this "we" business?

petaljam

Whats this "we" business?
You can't see the links in my post?

Or you can't see how those links contradict his apparent belief in his post to Emily that feminists can all be assumed to be automatically against the term toxic masculinity?

In either case, I suggest you read my post more carefully.

benroe

You can't see the links in my post?

Or you can't see how those links contradict his apparent belief in his post to Emily that feminists can all be assumed to be automatically against the term toxic masculinity?

In either case, I suggest you read my post more carefully.
So maybe you could explain to us how someone exposes hypocritical beliefs without describing the two contradictory positions held?

petaljam

So maybe you could explain to us how someone exposes hypocritical beliefs without describing the two contradictory positions held?
Simple. Someone who describes toxic masculinity as being a "simple feminist concept" cannot then pretend to be puzzled at someone he himself describes as a feminist not being "opposed to sexist terms such as Toxic Masculinity."

That pretence is hypocritical, but more importantly IMO is being ready to express directly contradictory views simply in order to make personal attacks on other posters. It's not about substantive views at all. He may well believe neither of those claims in the end - all that matters to him is getting a personal attack in at someone.

I thought you were a feminist and as such be opposed to sexist terms such as Toxic Masculinity. Not to mention the fact that this company is using sexism to sell its products.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies