Gillette new advert Toxic Masculinity

benroe

Simple. Someone who describes toxic masculinity as being a "simple feminist concept" cannot then pretend to be puzzled at someone he himself describes as a feminist not being "opposed to sexist terms such as Toxic Masculinity."

That pretence is hypocritical, but more importantly IMO is being ready to express directly contradictory views simply in order to make personal attacks on other posters. It's not about substantive views at all. He may well believe neither of those claims in the end - all that matters to him is getting a personal attack in at someone.
The way I read it, edg is saying that feminism claims to be against sexism but then invents a sexist term to rationalise their obvious sexism.

Reactions: edg

petaljam

The way I read it, edg is saying that feminism claims to be against sexism but then invents a sexist term to rationalise their obvious sexism.
Well if he is, he's talking rubbish. Again. Feminists didn't invent it, it comes from one of the 20th century men's movements, that one where they used to have male bonding camps with lots of Native American drumming stuff, IIRC. So not a stick to beat feminists with. So to speak. :)

Anyway, if his point was that in his opinion feminists are wrong to use that term, then he should make that point, rather than launching a personal attack on another poster. He hasn't done that, and it corresponds to no definition of feminism that I'm aware of.

Although why edg considers himself entitled to decree what feminism should or shouldn't say is a mystery, seeing as he hates them so much. The word "mansplaining" seems to have been invented for that sort of attitude.

benroe

Well if he is, he's talking rubbish. Again. Feminists didn't invent it, it comes from one of the 20th century men's movements, that one where they used to have male bonding camps with lots of Native American drumming stuff, IIRC. So not a stick to beat feminists with. So to speak. :)

Anyway, if his point was that in his opinion feminists are wrong to use that term, then he should make that point, rather than launching a personal attack on another poster. He hasn't done that, and it corresponds to no definition of feminism that I'm aware of.

Although why edg considers himself entitled to decree what feminism should or shouldn't say is a mystery, seeing as he hates them so much. The word "mansplaining" seems to have been invented for that sort of attitude.
I don't see why his opinion on feminism is any less valid because he hates feminists, and using feminist tropes like mansplaining to describe those opinions is itself, sexist.

Sobieski

Yep, P&G are not worried about you 'Snowflakes'.
Gillette brand takes a hit as '#metoo' ad backfires

According to YouGov BrandIndex, Gillette’s buzz score – which is a balance of the positive and negative things people have heard about a brand – has fallen by 5.8 points over the past week to -3.4. That shows more people have been hearing negative things about the brand than positive and takes it from seventh in a list of 45 health and beauty brands to bottom.
They might be concerned by a campaign that backfired and hit them in the pocket though.

FYI, and unrelated to this nauseatingly bad ad campaign - P&Gs profits were down 17% last quarter - so spending money to alienate customers on one of its key brands should draw questions if only from a financial point of view.

petaljam

I don't see why his opinion on feminism is any less valid because he hates feminists, and using feminist tropes like mansplaining to describe those opinions is itself, sexist.
He's entitled to his opinion of them. He's not entitled to redefine their views into what he wants them to be.

And I'd say the same for you. I don't agree that it's sexist. We'll just have to differ on that. It's a word that serves a purpose, even though, like many neologisms it's not a word I'm overly fond of myself, but that's just my conservative approach to grammar and language. :)

Lagertha

Just for a bit of balance a Toxic Feminine story. A Brazilian mother and her lesbian lover ripped off her child's penis and then beheaded him because he reminded her of her father. They then gouged his eyes out and sewed on a fake vagina to his body because they claimed he wanted to be a girl. They then barbecued parts of his body and dumped other bits of him in a suitcase in the sewers. Poor little kid might have been better off with a bit of toxic masculinity and staying with his male guardian who originally had custody of him.

Brazilian mother and lesbian lover 'tore off nine-year-old's penis'

edg

Why the personal attack instead of a reply to what you were actually asked?

Nah, don't bother, we can all see why - you got caught out being hypocritical yet again. :)
The term toxic masculinity is a derogatory and sexist term.

You, as a feminist should help stop people using this horrible term.

You can try changing the subject all you like but the facts above remain.

edg

Simple. Someone who describes toxic masculinity as being a "simple feminist concept" cannot then pretend to be puzzled at someone he himself describes as a feminist not being "opposed to sexist terms such as Toxic Masculinity."

That pretence is hypocritical, but more importantly IMO is being ready to express directly contradictory views simply in order to make personal attacks on other posters. It's not about substantive views at all. He may well believe neither of those claims in the end - all that matters to him is getting a personal attack in at someone.
My point was clear.

Feminists should not use sexist terms like toxic masculinity but they do proving my point that feminism is not about equality but rather it's a hate group with men as their target.

I was pointing this out on Emilys post.

Clanrickard

My point was clear.

Feminists should not use sexist terms like toxic masculinity but they do proving my point that feminism is not about equality but rather it's a hate group with men as their target.

I was pointing this out on Emilys post.
The same feminists go into a rage if something they don't like is said.

benroe

The same feminists go into a rage if something they don't like is said.
And some things you just can't say to a feminist, I watched a panel show a couple of days ago where a 18 stone pierced and tattooed land whale said she was being objectified and catcalled, that she walked around in constant fear of being raped, and no one had the balls to tell her she needn't worry.

Last edited:

Watcher2

I have never used their razors. Bic and a block of soap all the way. The house is full of their cleaning products unless the missus gets a cheaper home brand.

P&G is a company with a lot of rich white old men making a lot of money who don't care about anything or anyone.
A few women too. Could be some colour in there but oddly they dont post pictures:

Francis - Is that the male or the female?
Angela F. Braly
Former Chair of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer of WellPoint, Inc.
Amy L. Chang
Senior Vice President of the Collaboration Technology Group at Cisco Systems, Inc.
Margaret C. Whitman
Chief Executive Officer of NewTV (mobile video) since 2018. Former President and Chief Executive Officer of Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Patricia A. Woertz
Former Chairman of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer of Archer Daniels Midland Company

That's four out of 11 Board positions are women, and not all white either. If Francis is a female, that makes 5 of the 11. Not bad when all you hear, including in your post above, is that its all white old straight guys running and ruining everything. And those women are not just token women by the looks of it. Read their short bios on the website.

And oin the note of everything being mens fault. Over the weekend I caught the end of a discussion on newstalk and they were talking about dad jokes (nope, never heard the phrase either) which essentially, from what I gathered, are silly jokes. Anyway, there was one female on the "panel". Some one told a dad joke to many groans and one of them commented on how terrible they are. The female panelist said - are you not surprised (almost those exact words) and then went on to say most bad things in life/the country are mens fault. She said that look at the banks.

I guess she is another idiot mysandrist since Permanent TSB was, after IBRC, the worst of our banks with Gillian Bowler at the helm.

Some people eh?

Herr Rommel

A few women too. Could be some colour in there but oddly they dont post pictures:

Francis - Is that the male or the female?
Angela F. Braly
Former Chair of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer of WellPoint, Inc.
Amy L. Chang
Senior Vice President of the Collaboration Technology Group at Cisco Systems, Inc.
Margaret C. Whitman
Chief Executive Officer of NewTV (mobile video) since 2018. Former President and Chief Executive Officer of Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Patricia A. Woertz
Former Chairman of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer of Archer Daniels Midland Company

That's four out of 11 Board positions are women, and not all white either. If Francis is a female, that makes 5 of the 11. Not bad when all you hear, including in your post above, is that its all white old straight guys running and ruining everything. And those women are not just token women by the looks of it. Read their short bios on the website.

And oin the note of everything being mens fault. Over the weekend I caught the end of a discussion on newstalk and they were talking about dad jokes (nope, never heard the phrase either) which essentially, from what I gathered, are silly jokes. Anyway, there was one female on the "panel". Some one told a dad joke to many groans and one of them commented on how terrible they are. The female panelist said - are you not surprised (almost those exact words) and then went on to say most bad things in life/the country are mens fault. She said that look at the banks.

I guess she is another idiot mysandrist since Permanent TSB was, after IBRC, the worst of our banks with Gillian Bowler at the helm.

Some people eh?
What about the shareholders ?

They are still out to make money old young white black homosexual straight it doesn't matter as they are in the one percent bracket

Lagertha

What about the shareholders ?

They are still out to make money old young white black homosexual straight it doesn't matter as they are in the one percent bracket
It was just really badly judged. They thought it would play well with the ''woke'' market but it backfired. Most marketing isn't aimed at the over 40's, it's aimed at the under 30's who generally have more disposable cash and fewer financial commitments.

Most over 40's aren't brand loyal but a lot of under 30's will buy something because some social influencer, whatever the hell that is, tells them to buy it. 5 years ago one of the Williams sisters or Beyonce would be the face of Gillette for women, now it's some tattooed woman, possibly famous but I've no idea, shaving her arms to show off her tattoos.

That's the market they're aiming for, not the mum in her 50's who is buying bic disposable razors 3 for a couple of euro so her daughter can spend 20 quid on a packet of Gillette Venus razor blades while living at home rent free while mum and dad struggle to pay the mortgage.

omgsquared

I have not bought any Gillette products as far as i know, since the whole add business .. problem is I keep tripping over my beard.. Ok I am using other razors and actually use soap and a shaving brush most times to get a nice lather. Much more enviromentally friendly , but not as sweet smelling as the foam.. I feel so much less toxic I kinda swoon after a shave, must be the new me. Maybe I will buy a dress the next time I am in M&S or is it S&m , then I can explore my trans side will the feminists then be happy, but I cant see myself fitting into them tights.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies