Gillian Bowler RIP

Reasunach

Last thread removed due to link in headline, but I still consider it bad taste to tack an RIP message onto a thread about this iconic businesswoman being abused in the street. RIP Gillian - you were an inspiration to a generation of Irish women.

Levellers

Cost us taxpayers billions but no matter as she was wealthy and therefore beyond the law.

I must say I liked listening to her on the radio up until the crash.

mangaire2

don't know why you think that this merits a thread on P.ie.
have seen the late ms Bowler many times on TV - she used to be a regular on the Late Late, in GB's time.
I thought she was English ?
she started a Travel Agency I think.
she was photogenic - that's why we saw so much of her on TV, IMO.

don't think that there's much more to say, other than -

at dheis Dé, go raibh a h-anam.

PBP voter

Last edited:

asset test

I think her time in the banking/tour operator world might make some remember her.

Anyway, she is gone now, and may she rest in peace.

So many people die every day, and so many families affected too. But Christmas time is tough alright for deaths it has to be said.

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

the Anglo Irish Bank hidden loans controversy has lost one of it's key players. you now wholly own Permanent TSB. you could say that makes her a servant of the public in some ways... <:->

D

Deleted member 45466

Last thread removed due to link in headline, but I still consider it bad taste to tack an RIP message onto a thread about this iconic businesswoman being abused in the street. RIP Gillian - you were an inspiration to a generation of Irish women.
RIP and all of that, but when did incompetence become an inspiration to a generation of Irish women?

Truth.ie

Grew up in England.Left school at 16. No qualifications.
Started work selling timeshare apartments in Greece.

Appointed to Head of Irish Tourism, Head of the Museum of Modern Art and later Head of an Irish bank.
All this with no qualifications in Art or finance.
Only in Ireland.

darkhorse

Sad to hear that she was a tough lady rip
She wasn't very tough at all - she was a very kind and decent person and was much loved and admired by her friends and staff.
And she was a very astute business woman which is what I suspect you mean - have led the way in the Irish travel industry for many years
RIP

Reasunach

Appointed to Head of Irish Tourism, Head of the Museum of Modern Art and later Head of an Irish bank.
Only in Ireland.
I disagree. If she were male, you wouldn't be trying to make that point. Gillian Bowler was basically a woman who got things done in a man's world, She was ahead of her time and never used being a woman as an excuse or an asset. Fair play to her and condolences to her loved ones.

mangaire2

I disagree. If she were male, you wouldn't be trying to make that point. Gillian Bowler was basically a woman who got things done in a man's world, She was ahead of her time and never used being a woman as an excuse or an asset. Fair play to her and condolences to her loved ones.
"If she were male", it's most unlikely that they'd be a thread here on P.ie, for her, now.

OrderoftheDragon

How many billions was that dodgy transaction between anglo and ptsb again ?

Boy M5

How many billions was that dodgy transaction between anglo and ptsb again ?
Bowler didn't resign, did she?
Was never disbarred as a director?

She was part of the "Elite" she died I presume too young, I am sure she was good to her family and friends but she was part of that grouping who through lack of knowledge, competence, greed, media hype, an amalgam of the above trashed our society.

Still sympathy to her family and friends. But not to the trashy hacks writing hagiographies.

OrderoftheDragon

Bowler didn't resign, did she?
Was never disbarred as a director?

She was part of the "Elite" she died I presume too young, I am sure she was good to her family and friends but she was part of that grouping who through lack of knowledge, competence, greed, media hype, an amalgam of the above trashed our society.

Still sympathy to her family and friends. But not to the trashy hacks writing hagiographies.
The establishment always protect themselves, I certainly don't mourn for her but I do feel sorry for her family and their loss.

Disillusioned democrat

The establishment always protect themselves, I certainly don't mourn for her but I do feel sorry for her family and their loss.
+1

Her lack of ability to do a job she was paid to do has cost us billions , but that's Ireland for you, it's not what you know, it's who you know.

Gin Soaked

Only in Ireland.
In defence of that, there are many people who learn on the job. The entire tech sector developed with people who learned their trade inventing their industry.

Plus, considering the general and repeated failures of the Irish Banking sector, it is hard to single out one board member.

Rest in peace.

Disillusioned democrat

In defence of that, there are many people who learn on the job. The entire tech sector developed with people who learned their trade inventing their industry.

Plus, considering the general and repeated failures of the Irish Banking sector, it is hard to single out one board member.

Rest in peace.
But no one in the tech sector ended up costing the tax payer billions.

Truth.ie

Rest in peace.
The tourism gig I can get.
Nobody with zero experience or interest in Art should get a plum job in an State run Art Gallery.
Nobody with zero experience or knowledge of finance or banking should be appointed to a plum job in a bank.

I'm busting my gut trying to get my son through University so he can get a degree and a good job.
He shouldn't have to compete with people with no qualifications but with good contacts.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies