• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Andrew4

Kenny

Con:

(Ties in with decision making)- Decision to oust Richard Bruton, someone qualified for the position, from Minister of Finance and elect a teacher, Michael Noonan.... All because he does not have proper respect from his colleagues.

- Even though Ireland is under one of its most unpopular Governments FG, historically the second biggest party in Ireland, have failed to be seen by the public as a credible replacement

Baron von Biffo

On This Week today Kenny got what may be an unprecedented opportunity to sell his party during an election campaign and he made an utter hames of it. If he can't handle predictable questions from a journalist how will he square up against Merkel and Sarkozy to defend our interests in Europe?

wombat

how will he square up against Merkel and Sarkozy to defend our interests in Europe?
As I said before, Merkel is a personal acquaintance who is quite supportive of Enda - Sarkozy - who knows? Regarding the comparison with Gilmore, if thats's your criterion, fair enough, I'll go for policy.

Baron von Biffo

As I said before, Merkel is a personal acquaintance who is quite supportive of Enda - Sarkozy - who knows? Regarding the comparison with Gilmore, if thats's your criterion, fair enough, I'll go for policy.
I don't care if on a personal level she's in the queue behind the Connemara woman who offered him a farm for his eh, interventions, when it comes to national interests around the EU table she'd chew him up and spit him out.

d7bohs

Gilmore's a pro and Kenny is a con.

Lock thread

wombat

I don't care if on a personal level she's in the queue behind the Connemara woman who offered him a farm for his eh, interventions, when it comes to national interests around the EU table she'd chew him up and spit him out.
You, on the other hand, believe that Merkel will tremble with fear and run to hide in a corner when faced with the intellect of Eamonn or Brian:lol:

oggy

Kenny

Con:

(Ties in with decision making)- Decision to oust Richard Bruton, someone qualified for the position, from Minister of Finance and elect a teacher, Michael Noonan.... All because he does not have proper respect from his colleagues.

- Even though Ireland is under one of its most unpopular Governments FG, historically the second biggest party in Ireland, have failed to be seen by the public as a credible replacement
Do not like Noonan and obviously no time for FG but believe I would rather have 10 Noonans in Finance than any economist or accountant when the next government comes to power.

Desperate Dan

Dan,

Who will you be voting for? You may be correct and these two lads are gobsh1tes etc but it is a given that one or the other will be in charge whether you like it or not. Thats just how it is.
Thats how it looks now we still have some time to the GE.

RahenyFG

On This Week today Kenny got what may be an unprecedented opportunity to sell his party during an election campaign and he made an utter hames of it. If he can't handle predictable questions from a journalist how will he square up against Merkel and Sarkozy to defend our interests in Europe?
don't forget Kenny regularly deals with Sarkozy as Fine Gael are in the European's People Party with Kenny as vice-president. He has some experience. I should mentioned that as a pro earlier.

Baron von Biffo

You, on the other hand, believe that Merkel will tremble with fear and run to hide in a corner when faced with the intellect of Eamonn or Brian:lol:
There are other FGers I might have expected that silly jibe from before you.

As someone who worked with voluntary groups in Laois/Offaly my experience of Cowen was of a man who was lazy and unreliable. I could never recognise the young messiah image that appeared in the media so I wasn't at all surprised when he fell flat on his face in the top job.

I never met Gilmore and have no knowledge of him other than what I see of him in the media. His poll ratings are around 50% which is only just adequate. Of the three contenders for Taoiseach he's the most attractive but that's not to be taken as a resounding endorsement. It's more that the other two wouldn't be on my list for chair of the residents association.

Baron von Biffo

don't forget Kenny regularly deals with Sarkozy as Fine Gael are in the European's People Party with Kenny as vice-president. He has some experience. I should mentioned that as a pro earlier.
I once worked with a man who had read one of those American career success books. It told him that senior managers tended to promote people that they knew so he set about making himself known to the bosses. The problem for him was he was a gobsh1te and the more they saw of him the lower he dropped in their estimation. I've lost track of him since but while we were in touch he never was promoted.

hiding behind a poster

Gilmore

Pros
-very good speaker, offering hope in times of despair
-has the tough personality required to lead a government in recessionary times
-very keen to protect the most vunerable in society, promises not to cut those at the low end and in need of services
Sorry, I've got to take issue with the first two of those. Nothing I've heard from Gilmore offers me hope, as all he does is attack the government (certainly worth doing), but never outlines what Labour would do. As for toughness of personality, he still can't decide if he supports the Croke Park Agreement, 6 months after it was ratified, so I don't think he has the ability to lead if he can't even make simple decisions like that for fear of offending someone.

Goldencircle

Gilmore

Pros
Eamon Gilmore

cons
Eamon Gilmore

Kenny

Pros
Enda Kenny

cons
Enda Kenny

EvotingMachine0197

Surely not having any experience of "the way things are done" in this rotten cesspit of a country is actually a positive.

I've no idea why Labour and FG keep deliberately jumping up and down on top of this mendacious FF "Cabinet experience" landmine. FFS, how stupid are youse?
Yes, 'cabinet experience' is a bit of a misnomer.

Given that our existing cabinet have only ever experienced Leinster House.

I laugh every time I hear it.

ocoonassa

They're both cons. All of the people currently in the Oireachtas are cons.

None of them actually give a **** about either us or the country

All they care about is The Party and staying loyal to the gravy train.

BlackLion

Dan,

Who will you be voting for? You may be correct and these two lads are gobsh1tes etc but it is a given that one or the other will be in charge whether you like it or not. Thats just how it is.
No wounder people have no Hope in this country. We will get out of this mess when we Change the system and get these Fat cats out. wheres the Change, when Kenny or Gilmore are in power?

Vote_No_on_Everything

Both useless, same mandate as FF, rob from the workers give to the elite

Red_93

Before I start, good OP, you left out most of your biases and made good points.

Either Eamon Gilmore or Enda Kenny are likely to be our next taoiseach whenever the next election surfaces. I'd like to put it to people what are your pros and cons of Gilmore and Kenny, i'll get the ball rolling.

Gilmore

Pros
-very good speaker, offering hope in times of despair
-has the tough personality required to lead a government in recessionary times
-very keen to protect the most vunerable in society, promises not to cut those at the low end and in need of services

Cons
-his figures on the economy don't add up
We haven't seen them yet.
-the last thing this country needs is someone who projects hope on a Barack Obama scale
I'm not sure he does. He does appear a good leader, but that's when you compare him to other leaders. There is not half the personality cult hysteria surrounding Gilmore as there was Obama.
-no cabinet experience
True.
Kenny

Pros
- some cabinet experience, Minister for Tourism and Trade 1994-1997
-his chairman style is what is needed to reform government
Those are good points, however, I don't see any evidence to suggest that Gilmore would be a worse chairman than Kenny.
- his party has proposals that are required to meet deficit requirements

Cons
-poor communication skills in the age of personality politics
-decision making has to be questioned, the new front bench this year and the pairings scandal recently.
-limited government experience, junior minister in 1986-1987 and holding a minor cabinet role in the mid 1990s
In relation to the experience thing, I'm not sure it's a big issue. As long as someone has a reasonable level of cop on, puts in the work and surrounds themselves with good people, the should be fine...

smitchy2

A massive pro has to be they have not been corrupted by power yet like all the FFers.

It is a joke that the FF media machine is trying to peddle the nonsense that FG and Labour are too far apart with their policies.

FF’s only policy is to write any cheque to the banks and bondholders and then check what the EU has to say about the rest.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom