• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Watcher2

When I read the thread title I thought of the "professionals and the con artists". Most of them I'd put in the latter (thats for all the politicians we have here, not just Kenny and Gillie).

Red_93

Do not like Noonan and obviously no time for FG but believe I would rather have 10 Noonans in Finance than any economist or accountant when the next government comes to power.
Cos the 2 lawyers are doing a great job.

The country is in such dire straits that really, we need a bloody Messiah to get us out of this mess. No Messiah being on the horizon, I will go for Gilmore but I know that Kenny will be Taoiseach. He may improve with the position of power, I hope so. He is very different when you meet him in person.

Gilmore will not be Taoiseach. Not enough candidates, not enough work throughout the whole country, and too many idiots who will vote for FF no matter what. It's like part of their bloody religion.

AirTurbulence

That's almost impossible to find anything enticing about either of them. Both look and smell like old coats with mothballs in the pockets. Everything about them reeks of old mentality, old style and meekness. Though, Gilmore does not assume deliberate pose and mannerism of a Greek drama actor as Kenny does (which is totally amusing, and the reason why quite a few can't take him seriously).

shannonBlueShirt

I have being think about this and it seems to me that the Irish people have 3 choices :

Kenny : A poor communicator but with Real ideas about what he would done.
Gilmore : A good communicator but with No real ideas about what he would done.
Cowen : A poor communicator but with No real ideas about what he would done.

shannonBlueShirt

Ummm Ruairi Quinn, Brendan Howlin, Jan O'Sullivan, Michael D Higgins, Joan Burton, Liz McManus, Willie Penrose etc all have brains, Shannon you may not like them as they are of a different political persuasion however please don't suggest that these people are not intelligent!
We could argue about this one all day... .... I would never all anyone stupid....

They may very well be smarter then the FGers I mentioned but only Joan Burton has being engaged in a national debate on any issue in the last few years, so it is hard to judge.

Also 2 out of your 7 are retiring next election so Gilmore will not be managing them... ( Michael D Higgins\Liz McManus)
Ruairi Quinn may be retiring , there is always a story on P.ie about this...
Brendan Howlin has not made any contribution to a national issue in years.
Jan O'Sullivan may not keep her seat in Limerick, I am sure Limerick city will return one labour, just maybe not her. Labour in Limerick is always at war with each other.
and Willie Penrose only anorak's like us will have heard of him outside of Meath (He is from Meath right?)

Why did you not mention Pat Rabbitte?

clancarre

Noonan to be elected compromise Taoiseach following GE, Kenny would not cut it on the international stage, Gilmore will not have enough seats to be majority party

Baron von Biffo

Noonan to be elected compromise Taoiseach following GE, Kenny would not cut it on the international stage, Gilmore will not have enough seats to be majority party
If Kenny could acknowledge his shortcomings and said that he would remain as leader of FG but not seek the office of Taoiseach it would improve the party's position at the polls. I don't think Noonan is the man for the job though. Even at his peak his judgement was exposed as woefully flawed during the McCole scandal and he's well below his peak now.

Of the current FG TDs the best bet would be Sean Barrett. He would undo a lot of the damage in Dublin where FG is in meltdown at the moment and he wouldn't alienate regional support to do it. He also has a degree of maturity and gravitas that poor Enda will never attain.

wombat

Of the current FG TDs the best bet would be Sean Barrett. .
That's a relief, if you want to give the kiss of death to someone, Sean's the best option:lol:

wombat

wombat

Red_93

I'm sorry, I didn't really mean it but the temptation was too great:lol:
It is not your fault, right wingers are intrinsically mean, it is the sole basis of their ideology. Of course, they try and appear nice with things like the socially liberal PDs, social democratic FG, but in their heart of hearts they know they are just a big bag of meanies.(nice crisps BTW)

RahenyFG

Sorry, I've got to take issue with the first two of those. Nothing I've heard from Gilmore offers me hope, as all he does is attack the government (certainly worth doing), but never outlines what Labour would do. As for toughness of personality, he still can't decide if he supports the Croke Park Agreement, 6 months after it was ratified, so I don't think he has the ability to lead if he can't even make simple decisions like that for fear of offending someone.
Well aware of that. They were the only pros I could think of and look how bad they are. You're quite right tho. Gilmore no pros, all cons

cathal201

Enda Kenny is a man of the people, a man of Honesty and a man who will be able to lead a strong, stable government which has the capacity to correct the wrondoings of the past by FF. A new face is badly needed and a clean slate, which can only be provided by the oppisition. Gilmore I dont think is going to be Taoiseach, simply because I dont think they will get that many seats to be the lead party in Government. Labour have also failed to create and outline any key policies which could damage there results when people are looking for facts etc. My prediction is that FG will do better than expected because people on polling day will go with the real alternative and realise that they have a credible plan to go into government. Labour will still gain many seats however, and FF will be reduced to about 40ish.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom