• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Gilmore announces his front bench

Gerrymanderer

• Today the new Leader of the Labour Party Eamon Gilmore announced his new front bench containing a blend of youth and experience that will enable Labour to keep the Government to account in the Dail and the Seanad.

Speaking about his choices, Eamon explained: "I have not felt the need to 'shadow' exactly existing departments (they are often created simply as an administrative convenience for government) and I have in a number of cases given Deputies and Senators responsibility for areas that I consider to be of particular importance, including human rights, constitutional and law reform, disability issues and the Irish language.

Each of the three newly elected TDs has been given important portfolios and I have no doubt that they will rise to the challenge. Each of the new Senators has also been given responsibility for a key area."
Link to the Labour website

Full list below the fold.

locke

Hannigan to speak on commuter issues is definitely a good move. It's likely to be a major issue for people in his constituency in the next election. Almost all other constituencies where commuting is an issue have a Labour TD.

Supersid

Can someone tell me what "commuter issues" are not covered by either environment or transport? This is a nonsense of the highest order.

red365

Supersid said:
Can someone tell me what "commuter issues" are not covered by either environment or transport? This is a nonsense of the highest order.
You clearly don't live in the commuter belt. Dominic will be looking at issues like the lack of school places, management companies, unfinished estates, lack of public transport, to name but a few.

krayZpaving

Website
www.keith.gs
Full list:

* Agriculture and Food - Sean Sherlock TD
* Arts, Sport and Tourism - Mary Upton TD
* Communications, Energy and Natural Resources - Liz McManus TD
* Community and Rural Affairs - Jack Wall TD
* Constitutional Matters and Law Reform - Brendan Howlin TD
* Defence and the Irish language - Brian O'Shea TD
* Disability Issues and Equality - Kathleen Lynch TD
* Education and Science - Ruairi Quinn TD
* Enterprise, Trade and Employment - Willie Penrose TD
* Environment and Heritage - Joanna Tuffy TD
* Europe and Human Rights - Joe Costello TD
* Finance - Joan Burton TD
* Foreign Affairs - Michael D Higgins TD
* Health - Jan O'Sullivan TD
* Housing and Local Government - Ciaran Lynch TD
* Justice - Pat Rabbitte TD
* Social and Family Affairs - Roisin Shortall TD
* Transport - Tommy Broughan TD
* Chief Whip - Emmet Stagg TD
* Assistant Whip - Brian O'Shea TD
* Commuter Issues - Sen. Dominic Hannigan
* Consumer Affairs - Sen. Brendan Ryan
* Tourism - Sen. Alan Kelly
* Older People - Sen. Phil Prendergast
* Marine - Sen. Michael McCarthy
* Children - Sen. Alex White

seanad voter

I'm glad my old mucker Joanna Tuffy got a meaningful portfolio. She'll be 'marking' a Green minister.

red365

Supersid said:
You have previous when it comes to Sen Hannigan. What exactly is your beef with him?

Rocky

pie xplorer said:
are there any TD's that didn't get a post ?
Several Senators got something, so I think t's safe to say every Labour TD got something

seanad voter

Every Labour TD and senator should have some specific spokesperson responsibility. Otherwise they can just sit on their bums and say nowt like most FF and FG backbenchers. :)

EvotingMachine0197

seanad voter said:
Every Labour TD and senator should have some specific spokesperson responsibility. Otherwise they can just sit on their bums and say nowt like most FF and FG backbenchers. :)
yes I agree. I think its a good practice to give every parliamentary member a defined area of responsibility, regardless of how critical or not it may be.

Putting Hannigan to work on commuter issues for example, might get some opposition focus on this area, when otherwise it may have got lost in the bigger arena of transport. It's certainly better than giving members no responsibility over and above the role of back bench

seanad voter

Just wait a cotton-pickin' minute there ... where's Northern Ireland affairs ? Or is that a "reserved function" of the Leader himself ? Or is it "Foreign Affairs" ?