Gilmore 'may call motion of no-confidence'

Rosmuc

Gilmore & Kenny just playing who will be next leader game, at the end of the day this right wing government will just be replaced by another right wing FG/Lab government who will cut & slash more then this one. Remember FG wanted to privatise state services during the boom and hand over millions in share profits to their elite buddies, what will they do now?

Bismarck

If true this would be an act of economic treason by Labour - as bad as anything Fianna Fáil have done in the last two years.

Mondo

Christs sake Gilmore.

Just get on with it.

Talk to FG. Issue joint statements to world media.

deliver: election, agreement, funding, new beginning ...............isn't that what democracy should be!!!

Do it now man. No more tactics or you are just as bad as FF.

Make it happen with FG.

Banish the FF snakes.

Effect real reform.

Labour and FG will be heroes of real merit.

Act now. SIMPLES!!!

Desperate Dan

Gilmore hasn't got the b!!!s to call it his out fit is not prepared. He will fudge on.

hiding behind a poster

Imagine if Enda Kenny had suggested this 6 hours ago, and still hadn't confirmed it by now. This thread would now be about 20 pages long, devoted entirely to his supposed uselessness.

MuchToDo

Gilmore & Kenny just playing who will be next leader game, at the end of the day this right wing government will just be replaced by another right wing FG/Lab government who will cut & slash more then this one. Remember FG wanted to privatise state services during the boom and hand over millions in share profits to their elite buddies, what will they do now?
Actually, despite it seeming that Labour are not being realistic enough on cuts, the combination of FG/Labour will just mean FG influence to mean there are enough cuts, Labour influence stopping it from being too much.

Haven't made up my mind who to vote for locally. Some of the Dublin FG TDs are not at all palatable, while with Labour, they are a bit too populist for my liking (still good if they take the populist mantle off Fianna Failure though).

Superlepreachaun

Will someone tell me:

A. Whats wrong with being "populist" if by that you mean they'll do what the people want, isn't this a democracy?

B. What "populist" ideas have they had and why are they bad

The Banker

Bring a motion of no confidence. If we wait until Dec 7th and then the budget isn't passed we will be in even bigger trouble.

It will also put it up to Noel O'Flynn, Mattie, Mcguinness et al...

picador

How can FG and Labour agree a common approach after the election? FG is right-wing and will go about doing the IMF's dirty-work, which basically involves hammering the public sector employees, who Labour look to for votes. Unless Labour is intent on electoral suicide how could they go possibly go along with it?

I can't see how an FG / Labour coalition can be anything but a recipe for deadlock.

chriskavo

I think you are being very presumptuous. I reckon Sinn Fein will be in the next government judging from different people I have been talking to. I am amazed at the amount of people who are saying that they are going to vote SF as they have nothing to lose.I am /was a FF man, I will never ever vote for them again but tbh I don't exactly have much confidence wit hthe other lot either. I might vote SF or an independent.

MuchToDo

Democracy is not perfect. Politicians have a responsibility to not act directly according to the public's wishes if it is not in the country's long-term interest. This is where Fianna Fáil have failed. It shouldn't have been a problem people electing Fianna Fáil with the promises FF gave - but FF should never have acted on them or destroyed the country just to win the next election.

Now why I say Labour is better even so, is that I know they likely won't act on what they preach, although I am still concerned they will be working too hard to keep public sector votes.

Superlepreachaun

I know they have to lead not blindly follow, but ultimately the people are their masters, but they act as though the bondholders are, the same bond holders that were screaming for a welfare cheque like little bitches in 2008/9 (and now again) are now telling US to cut welfare.
Were being told by people who take bonuses of 600k a year that our minimum wage is too high. I think this situation is perverse and its time we reasserted control over our situation.

So I'd suggest that the parties are honest about what they propose, realistic and credible plans but plans based on what the people want, as close as realistically possible that is. Then when they have a mandate its for that plan alone

picador

If one of the opposition parties called a vote of confidence tomorrow would the government survive it?

MDaniel

Actually, despite it seeming that Labour are not being realistic enough on cuts, the combination of FG/Labour will just mean FG influence to mean there are enough cuts, Labour influence stopping it from being too much.

Haven't made up my mind who to vote for locally. Some of the Dublin FG TDs are not at all palatable, while with Labour, they are a bit too populist for my liking (still good if they take the populist mantle off Fianna Failure though).
And you want change but can't bring yourself to vote for other parties (apart from FF and the Greenrich):-(

JCR

Will someone tell me:

A. Whats wrong with being "populist" if by that you mean they'll do what the people want, isn't this a democracy?

B. What "populist" ideas have they had and why are they bad
Well in this context what its wrong with it is playing for more personal popularity by tapping into a public mood rather than telling the public what Labour would or wouldn't do when in power. The people don't want huge cuts but they are as inevitable as night following day. The people would love to believe we can 'tax the rich' and this measure will spare the huge cuts in public spending - thats one of Labour's ideas that is populist and they know themselves this won't work. Whats wrong with this kind of populism is that a party gets elected on false promises that it simply can't keep. Its largely whats wrong with Irish politics and it would be preferable if Gilmore didnt indulge, its wasting all our time and doing the country no service.

New Threads

Most Replies