• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Gilmore - No to Labour led Govt with FF

adrem

I think this merits a separate thread.

There has been a lot of speculation, particularly with the prospect of Lab getting more seats than FF in the next election, as to whether Lab would go into Govt with FF if it meant a Lab taoiseach and Lab led Govt.

EG today ruled it out categorically.

So if FG win the next election and LAb come second they will go into a FG led Govt rather than lead a govt. with FF as a minority party.

I think that's (finally) very clear.

ICallely

I thought the comment was refreshingly free of weasel words. Though I'd like to see a transcript to be certain.

Looks like either a FF/FG coalition or a Labour/FG coalition next time around.

dresden8

I thought the comment was refreshingly free of weasel words. Though I'd like to see a transcript to be certain.

Never write off the scumbags of destiny.

johntrenchard

my prediction : gilmore will force tweedledum and tweedledee together.

FF/FG coalition.

Lab to stand back.. then another GE in a year as FF/FG fall apart - Lab to come in with a majority for the first time in the history of the state.

White Horse

I don't trust Gillmore and his word is meanigless to me.

They will find some weasel words as they did in 1992.

Yesterday signalled that they are soft on FF. Actions speak louder than words.

adrem

FF/FG will NOT happen after the next general election. Absolutely zero chance whatsoever.

The only possible govt is FG/LAB (with support if needed but it won't be)

The question (and reason for a small doubt) centered around the possibilty of FG winning the election but LAB getting second AND the numbers allowing a LAB/FF govt to be formed. On the one hand it would allow for the first ever LAB Taoiseach and LAB led government. On the other hand it would mean LAB going into Govt with FF. Gilmore made it clear today that, even if it means refusing to be Taoiseach, he will not go in with FF.

johntrenchard

I don't trust Gillmore and his word is meanigless to me.

They will find some weasel words as they did in 1992.

Yesterday signalled that they are soft on FF. Actions speak louder than words.
Gilmore isnt Dick Spring.

I keep saying on here - one of the primary aims of the Workers Party was the realignment of Irish politics along classic European left/right lines.

Gilmore is within touching distance of that. He aint going to fck up his place in history. This moment has been building up for decades. FF/FG coalition.. he'll force tweedledum and tweedledee together.

flavirostris

Gilmore is within touching distance of that. He aint going to fck up his place in history. This moment has been building up for decades. FF/FG coalition.. he'll force tweedledum and tweedledee together.
you're nuts if you think that's going to happen. As Quinn proved yesterday, far more likley that FF & Lab will end up together

adrem

I keep saying on here - one of the primary aims of the Workers Party was the realignment of Irish politics along classic European left/right lines.

I know you do - doesn't make it right though !! FG/FF will NOT HAPPEN after then next election. (thats a full stop btw)

The issue on this thread is the fact that EG is definitively ruling himself out of being Taoiseach unless he delivers LAB as the holder of the largest number of seats. Many people on here (including myself) have questioned that in the past so (IMHO) its a ballsy move by Gilmore. I just wonder though how it would play in a post election environment if the numbers gave him LAB/FF - would he really put EK in as Taoiseach rather than himself?? He is saying that he absolutely would.

fgrep

'In the national interest'

That was Dick Springs justification for going into gov. with FF and it will be Gilmores as well. Quinn was just rehersing the lines yesterday. ( Lines he himself would have loved to have uttered with Bertie).

Skyrocket

FF would be unlikely to do do a deal with Labour if it means Gilmore would be Taoiseach because that would set an unfavourable precedent (from FF's point of view) of FF being the minority party in government. Most FF people are resigned to the fact of being in opposition after the next GE anyway.

From FG's perspective, Labour rushing to the rescue of FF yesterday is probably the best thing that has happened for the party so far this year. They should milk it for all its worth by continuously banging out the message that a vote for Labour could put FF back in power and the only sure way of getting FF out is voting for FG.

They also need to get more ambitious and start talking up the possibility of an overall majority. Look at it this way - FG have 50 seats, 33 away from an overall majority, yet Labour with 20 seats seem to have successfully spun that they could surpass FG as the largest party, which would mean winning more than 30 seats assuming (in the unlikely event) that FG remain static.

adamirer

Thats good enough for me. There's no Sargent like speak there. Be better if it were to Labour conference though and become formal policy - to be sure, to be sure :)

There's no hope of a FG/FF coalitioon. FF firmly on the sidelines now.

consultant

I know you do - doesn't make it right though !! FG/FF will NOT HAPPEN after then next election. (thats a full stop btw)

The issue on this thread is the fact that EG is definitively ruling himself out of being Taoiseach unless he delivers LAB as the holder of the largest number of seats. Many people on here (including myself) have questioned that in the past so (IMHO) its a ballsy move by Gilmore. I just wonder though how it would play in a post election environment if the numbers gave him LAB/FF - would he really put EK in as Taoiseach rather than himself?? He is saying that he absolutely would.

No. He said he WILL.

politico24

That's silly. They aren't the same. FG aren't perfect but at least they have a semblance of an outlook and have been a party of ideas for most of their history. Labour, if they were patritos, would be doing their damndest to remove the cancer that is FF...not plotting to contaminate FG with that cancer of cronyism, corruption and incompetence.

A political system dominated by FG and Labour with FF a rump bit part player is more in this country's interest than any form of alliance between FF and FG. The line that they are the same is a lazy and stupid argument peddled by people who can't be arsed looking at the facts. Labour have an ideology, FG aren't forceful enough with their brand of fiscal rectitude and social pluralism but FF just see power as a means in itself to divy out resources to enhance its power and prestige.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies