Gilmore Rules Out Coalition with FF...AGAIN

livingstone

Just in case the legion of posters obsessed with Labour when EG, in their opinion, leaves some room for ambiguity, fail to post now that he has, yet again, categorically ruled out coalition with FF.

On tonight's LLS he clearly stated that it was 'not on the agenda' and that there was 'no chance - front door, back door or side door of Labour putting FF back into Government'.

super pedestrian

He said he wouldn't put FF back into Government, he never mentioned anything about FF putting Labour INTO Government. ;)

G

Gimpanzee

Suppose it all boils down to whether you are inclined to believe him or not.

Desperate Dan

Dick Spring said the same and then he declared he had to go into Govt. in the national interest.

Harmonica

The only logical new government is FG lead coalition with Labour. Even with their best efforts FG won't have less seats. Labour need a 150% increase in seats just to be in with a chance of more seats than FG. Labour may well get 2 seats in some Dublin constituencies but there are far too many rural areas where they have almost no presence.

livingstone

Well, if FF want to vote for Gilmore as Taoiseach with no Cabinet seats in return, I'm sure he'd be fine with that. The point is that Labour will not be putting a FFer around the cabinet table.

And no, Dick Spring did not say that. The simple truth that people conveniently forget is that Dick Spring never actually ruled out coalition with FF. It was widely assumed it wouldn't happen because of how strongly he opposed them and because it had never happened, but Spring never said that Labour would not put FF in Government; that's the difference. There is absolutely no wriggle room in this statement.

Desperate Dan

Well, if FF want to vote for Gilmore as Taoiseach with no Cabinet seats in return, I'm sure he'd be fine with that. The point is that Labour will not be putting a FFer around the cabinet table.

And no, Dick Spring did not say that. The simple truth that people conveniently forget is that Dick Spring never actually ruled out coalition with FF. It was widely assumed it wouldn't happen because of how strongly he opposed them and because it had never happened, but Spring never said that Labour would not put FF in Government; that's the difference. There is absolutely no wriggle room in this statement.
Check the history. Nobody new Spring could 160 degree turn but he did thats WP/LP for ye. :eek::eek:

livingstone

Check the history.
By all means enlighten me. Point me to where Spring said Labour will not put FF back into Government. Otherwise you are comparing apples and oranges.

scallioneater

Gilmore talked the talk well until asked about cuts, He's ether just lying to get votes or a fool. Can only hope that voters have learned their lesson and won't fall for imprudent polices. So Gilmore wants to reduce the $20bn deficit and pay back 90bn debt by reducing the Public Sector by 15,000 and increasing taxes. surprised he did not suggest increasing welfare while he was trying to buy the electorate. Over all made me less likely to support Labor.

livingstone

He's ether just lying to get votes or a fool.
Over all made me less likely to support Labor.
I suspect you were never all that likely, given the refusal to acknowledge what has actually saying and the cuts that will be made. A cut to the deficit of €4.5bn this year, funded through €2.25bn in tax increases and €2.25bn in cuts, which included a public sector voluntary redundancy in the region of 20,000, elimination of many tax reliefs, streamlining of public services (e.g. single means test) etc. If you want to disagree with policies, go ahead. But claiming they don't exist is just lazy.

greengoose2

There is another thread that was bumped up which might shine a light on these liars. Sargent had the electorate well and truly fooled as will Gilmore. If he was seriously against this option he would be screaming from the rooftops about government reform!

Cutting the number of useless TDs, banning ministerial cars (in the case of Harney providing a riot shield for her personal safety from emulsion paint and dangerous omelette ingredients), getting rid of the presidency, making the seanad a voting issue rather than appointment for "services rendered" and other such measures!

So long as the lure of a ministerial car and the accompanying perks and pensions exist liars will alway skulk behind morality and honesty. Sadly their true colours emerge after the deed and democracy takes over in the form of waiting 5 years to bring the liars to task. Unfortunately it is too late when the damage has been done. We Irish do not take history too seriously...

Last edited:

greengoose2

I suspect you were never all that likely, given the refusal to acknowledge what has actually saying and the cuts that will be made. A cut to the deficit of €4.5bn this year, funded through €2.25bn in tax increases and €2.25bn in cuts, which included a public sector voluntary redundancy in the region of 20,000, elimination of many tax reliefs, streamlining of public services (e.g. single means test) etc. If you want to disagree with policies, go ahead. But claiming they don't exist is just lazy.
There is a more serious commitment to cuts that these chancers could make. Their fat salaries and bloated numbers would be a good start. Start at the top lads, where there is the most waste. The majority of the 166 noble TDs are a waste of space and are oxygen thieves. Where were the senior FF TDs hanging around this week. In Donegal I believe and not for the purpose of reviewing storm damage. No lads, they were canvassing for the nonentity FF candidate for the Sinn Fein forced bye election.

TradCat

I'm no longer concerned about Labour putting FF back in government after the election. It simply would not be credible and would not have the honeymoon period the next government will need to push through cuts and reforms.

If it did happen they would never be forgiven and it would destroy the Labour Party.

taurus

Gilmore will has emphatically ruled out coalition with one right wing party that has economic policys that has destroyed this country, and completely endorsed coalition with another right wing party that has policys that will continue to destroy this country. This is the Sq. peg in the round hole that many voters need to realise. Labour /Fine gael coalition is solely about looking at each other , realising that they can get their arses on cabinet seats and throwing off ant idealogical positions. Look at the age profile of the next cabinet, most have been hanging around since the 80's / early 90's. Jesus, did'nt Noonan lead FG to their worst defeat ever in the 90's ??? and he's the man to lead the countrys Finance Dept. FFS its a joke. the Left of Labour need to stand up and be counted, and I believe that there are some genuine left people in Labour.

New Threads

Most Replies