• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Gilmore says Labour would push back Metro North

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
In an interview with Marian Finucane this morning on RTE Radio 1 Labour party leader Eamon Gilmore was asked if he would cancel Metro North.

In his reply he said Labour in government would make substantial changes to the National Development Plan, which include Metro North being pushed back.

zerodayronin

He's making all the right noises, good show, 'bout time Finucane did her job properly, grilled Gilmore.

Important interview, it frames Gilmore as Taoiseach in waiting.

Last edited:

dent

Delighted. As Mick O'Leary said, a QBC would do the job grand.

He's doing very well especially considering that Finucane, a rabid old FF hack is trying to trip him every step of the way.

dent

That was an excellent interview by Gilmore. He gets extra marks for having to put up with that biased clown.

Pauli

Well, he didn't join FF and he didn't destroy the Irish economy.

He certainly didn't hurt the Gilmore for Taoiseach campaign this morning. He was natural and sounded like a breath of fresh air.

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
He couldn't remember whether he joined the Workers Party or Official Sinn Féin.

I suppose your mind plays tricks on you.
Are you serious? That's terrible. I mean, it's not like the party changed name very often.....

You're a bit of a self parody at this stage, aren't you - an interview like that and that's the worst you can dig out!

Grumpy Jack

More short-term populist bullsh1t from Gilmore. Labour about to repeat it and FG's mistakes of 1982-87 when they abandoned the Dart project after one line instead of the three-line system planned under the 1975 DRRTS.

Metro North and Dart Underground are critical to the recovery and future growth and development of the Greater Dublin Area economy.

Both are PPP projects with repayments not set to begin until the projects are completed in 2017 and 2018 respectively. Is Gilmore telling us we can't expect a recovery under Labour to be well underway by then? Sounds like it - or else he's giving us more of his Bertie-style tell the people what they want to hear populism.

Dent, tell us exactly what you think a QBC instead of Metro North will do. If you are taking O'Leary's line then you clearly do no understand PR even care what MN and DU are designed to do.

Gabha Óir

Well, he didn't join FF and he didn't destroy the Irish economy.
No he didn't but it's not you or I trying to recall his political history. He was talking about himself. Surely he can remember which political parties he joined and when. He deserves as much scrutiny as any other politician.

I'd agree with postponing Metro north by the way.

RainyDay

'bout time Finucane did her job properly, grilled Gilmore.
He's doing very well especially considering that Finucane, a rabid old FF hack is trying to trip him every step of the way.
That was an excellent interview by Gilmore. He gets extra marks for having to put up with that biased clown.
Definite tone of aggression and hostility from Finucane, by contrast to her chummy, deferential outings with Enda & Clowen in recent weeks.

Gabha Óir

Are you serious? That's terrible. I mean, it's not like the party changed name very often.....

You're a bit of a self parody at this stage, aren't you - an interview like that and that's the worst you can dig out!
What are you ranting about? Sorry to break the consensus on the beatification of Gilmore but he needs challenging too. Finucane's agenda is clear but Gilmore gave some clear answers and some not so clear answers. He did dither over Lisbon as well. His entire political history is up for scrutiny if he is , as he believes, to be Taoiseach.

Grumpy Jack

No he didn't but it's not you or I trying to recall his political history. He was talking about himself. Surely he can remember which political parties he joined and when. He deserves as much scrutiny as any other politician.

I'd agree with postponing Metro north by the way.
These projects have been postponed for 30 years - how much longer must we wait?

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
What are you ranting about? Sorry to break the consensus on the beatification of Gilmore but he needs challenging too. Finucane's agenda is clear but Gilmore gave some clear answers and some not so clear answers. He did dither over Lisbon as well. His entire political history is up for scrutiny if he is , as he believes, to be Taoiseach.
ranting? I think we all know which of us is ranting here, and it ain't me!

Re-read your post, if that's the best you can come up with you look particularly foolish (even I could have come up with a better attack on the interview).

And as for beatification - you're just a right-winger who hates him, and is getting increasingly irritated that a large body of people don't share your views. The reason she doesn't scream and shout at him is that, unlike you, she has a reputation to maintain as not being a bit, you know, "special" .....

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
I disagree with Gilmore on Metro North

Agreed. Dublin is one of the few capital cities in Europe that doesn't have a rail link to the CC. The only other ones I know of in the EU are Lisbon (which is being worked on right now) and Valetta. It creates an instant impression of a backward country for visitors.

There are a lot of things that I would give up before Metro North.

Gabha Óir

ranting? I think we all know which of us is ranting here, and it ain't me!

Re-read your post, if that's the best you can come up with you look particularly foolish (even I could have come up with a better attack on the interview).

And as for beatification - you're just a right-winger who hates him, and is getting increasingly irritated that a large body of people don't share your views. The reason she doesn't scream and shout at him is that, unlike you, she has a reputation to maintain as not being a bit, you know, "special" .....
dotski, I think you've made a complete muppet out of yourself here.

Are you under the delusion that I'm some FFer or some such nonsense?

Right-winger, indeed. :D

I'd love to see examples of those posts.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies