• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Gilmore supports law-breaking in the US by Irish people

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Gilmore rings US Senators as pressure grows for deal on Irish illegals

TÁNAISTE AND MINISTER for Foreign Affairs Eamon Gilmore has been telephoning senior US politicians to push hard for a deal on illegal Irish migrants in America.

The Government plans to use St Patrick’s Day visits by TDs travelling abroad to increase pressure for a deal by meeting with key politicians and lobby groups.
Although the exact figure is unknown, there are believed to be up to 50,000 Irish people living and working illegally in the United States without a visa

gilmore said:
My programme and that of other members of the Government during that period… will include discussions with key political figures on immigration and with the Irish community groups that provide assistance to the undocumented.
This follows on from my thread last year on Enda Kennys shameful & quite frankly deplorable behaviour.
http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/184158-does-enda-support-lawbreaking-us-irish-people.html

As I see it - Gilmore a leader of a in-name workers labour movement is trying to secure the permanent exile of around 50,000 irish people(unless they want to come back to get fleeced for "gatherings") and at the same time undermining the borders of a key ally and trading partner by lobbying US senators.

Of course the last thing an Irish person forced out of Ireland by economic circumstance would ever do is vote for FG/Lab so of course its in the governments interests to keep pressure valve mass emigration going - they even dress it up by calling it a "lifestyle choice".

Reagon called the 1986 amnesty his greatest mistake, yet Enda Kenny and Eamonn Gilmore are pushing for the Obama Amnesty and its out of no love for these Irish criminal overstayers.

Last edited:

Dublin 4

Will he look for an amnesty for his old mate Sean Garland (right) not to be sent to the US? :p

On 7 October 2005, Garland was arrested in Belfast on foot of an extradition application issued by the US authorities. He had been attending the Workers' Party Ardfheis/Annual Conference at the time. The United States authorities alleged that Garland had been involved in the distribution and resale of counterfeited US dollars - so-called "superdollars" or "supernotes" - in 1998. They also alleged that the source of the banknotes was the government of North Korea. Garland was released on bail.

Seán Garland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ulster-Lad

Of course he supports them in the US. If they came back here they would add to the unemployed.

PeacefulViking

Isn't a government supposed to represent its citizens abroad? If an Irish person is charged with a crime in the US she will get consular help even if her behavior would be a crime in Ireland as well.

Dr Pat

Gilmore's antics are indicative of the pathetic mindset of the Irish Government when it comes to illegal immigration. If they are serious about tackling illegal immigration to Ireland they need to enforce deportations etc yet we have the spectacle of our Foreign Minister lobbying for an amnesty for Irish illegal immigrants who have flouted the immigration law of another sovereign state. Either States have an effective and coherent immigration system and controls or they don't. It seems that our Government and our bould MFA does not really care one way or another.

blokesbloke

Well I suppose he doesn't want 50,000 people thrown out of the US and sent back to Ireland and all needing jobs or benefits.

No, it doesn't reflect very well on him. I have no sympathy with anyone who is in the US illegally and I think they should all be deported immediately.

blokesbloke

Isn't a government supposed to represent its citizens abroad? If an Irish person is charged with a crime in the US she will get consular help even if her behavior would be a crime in Ireland as well.
Consular help does not extend to getting you off the charge entirely though. It is simply about advising you on your legal rights and ensuring you have access to proper legal representation as a native citizen would.

And this isn't help from the Irish consulate, it's direct intervention from a senior government minister - a very different thing.

blokesbloke

Seems to be a lot of bittereness there, did you get turned down for a green card or summit?
I can understand somebody being bitter if they applied to go to a country legally, were refused, and then saw someone who went to the same country illegally being allowed to stay, supported by their own politicans.

It's not fair, it's not right.

blokesbloke

Gilmore's antics are indicative of the pathetic mindset of the Irish Government when it comes to illegal immigration. If they are serious about tackling illegal immigration to Ireland they need to enforce deportations etc yet we have the spectacle of our Foreign Minister lobbying for an amnesty for Irish illegal immigrants who have flouted the immigration law of another sovereign state. Either States have an effective and coherent immigration system and controls or they don't. It seems that our Government and our bould MFA does not really care one way or another.
Yup - if your politicans ask politicians in other country to overrule their own immgration laws, don't expect anyone to respect your own.

Bonsai Experiment

I can understand somebody being bitter if they applied to go to a country legally, were refused, and then saw someone who went to the same country illegally being allowed to stay, supported by their own politicans.

It's not fair, it's not right.
It's not a cake walk for the undocumented people over there, it's a nightmare for a lot of them, they work hard for small money and they'll never be legitimate. Its not for the fainthearted.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Seems to be a lot of bittereness there, did you get turned down for a green card or summit?
Nope, no axe to grind, I'ld actually have no problem getting a legal visa if I was determined to do so. What this is about is getting a giant sweeping broom and brushing away all the disaffected irish people rather than deal with restructuring the economy of this state. What really pi$$ed me off the other year was when I was out of work, I got a text message from FAS asking me to get down to a "jobs in canada" convention. The state has no business in encouraging emigration or supporting as is the case here - illegal immigration.

Its shameful.

Analyzer

Gilmore rings US Senators as pressure grows for deal on Irish illegals

This follows on from my thread last year on Enda Kennys shameful & quite frankly deplorable behaviour.
http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/184158-does-enda-support-lawbreaking-us-irish-people.html

As I see it - Gilmore a leader of a in-name workers labour movement is trying to secure the permanent exile of around 50,000 irish people(unless they want to come back to get fleeced for "gatherings") and at the same time undermining the borders of a key ally and trading partner by lobbying US senators.

Of course the last thing an Irish person forced out of Ireland by economic circumstance would ever do is vote for FG/Lab so of course its in the governments interests to keep pressure valve mass emigration going - they even dress it up by calling it a "lifestyle choice".

Reagon called the 1986 amnesty his greatest mistake, yet Enda Kenny and Eamonn Gilmore are pushing for the Obama Amnesty and its out of no love for these Irish criminal overstayers.

I think that the next time that Comrade Gimmemore is discussing matters of national importance with the US Embassy, that he can discuss this topic.

Though, I am not sure how he will handle the "public posture" aspect to the story.

Ulster-Lad

It's not a cake walk for the undocumented people over there, it's a nightmare for a lot of them, they work hard for small money and they'll never be legitimate. Its not for the fainthearted.
The "undocumented" (another word for illegals) over there should be in jail or immigration detention centres. They have broken the law.

statsman

I suspect there is widespread public sympathy in Ireland for the undocumented. I don't share it, but I doubt that working for their regularisation would hurt any Irish politician.

Ulster-Lad

Maybe they should have a poll that asks how many support this illegal activity endorsed by Gilmore and how many think they should be jailed pending their deportation?

Rocky

I suspect there is widespread public sympathy in Ireland for the undocumented. I don't share it, but I doubt that working for their regularisation would hurt any Irish politician.
I ended up at a rally in I think the Burlington in around 2007 on this and the room (which was the main ballroom) was absolutely packed. I was actually shocked by the support they had and this was during the time when we have basically 0% unemployment.

I support some means by which illegal immigrants can become legal in the US, so naturally I support the inclusion of Irish immigrants in that. I think there is widespread support in Ireland for that too.

Quadrangle

Would those who support the people working illegally in the US be as quick to get behind a movement to legalise african workers willing to work for less than minimum wage in Ireland?

statsman

Would those who support the people working illegally in the US be as quick to get behind a movement to legalise african workers willing to work for less than minimum wage in Ireland?
Of course not; that's entirely different. They're not quite white.

The hypocrisy surrounding this is one of the reasons I can;t find it in me to support the undocumented; we seem to want different rules applied to us than those we apply to others.

Popular Threads

Most Replies