• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

GIMPS Rule, new Prime Found!!!!

Astral Peaks

17 million digits, the largest Prime ever found, all thanks to a few GIMPS.....but there is cash in the game too.

Mathematicians like discovering high primes not because they are useful (or not yet, anyway) but because they are there. It is a fun challenge and a measure of the power of distributed computing projects. The campaign group Electronic Frontier Foundation gave a prize for the first 1m-digit and 10m-digit primes, and will give $150,000 (£96,000) to the discoverer of the first 100m-digit prime.
The largest prime number yet discovered
Personally, I thought Euclid's proof was simple: multiply all the primes known together and add 1.

This new large number is either prime or divisible by an unknown larger prime - in either case a larger prime has been found.

But what do I know.....I am an Arts and Business graduate!!

General Mayhem

Here's hoping that your particular 'training' combo has finally gone out of fashion :p

Radix

17 million digits, the largest Prime ever found, all thanks to a few GIMPS.....but there is cash in the game too.

Personally, I thought Euclid's proof was simple: multiply all the primes known together and add 1.

This new large number is either prime or divisible by an unknown larger prime - in either case a larger prime has been found.

I had previously thought that Anglo Irish Bank had cornered the market on 'prime numbers' on an infinitesimal scale, underwritten by the plebian classes at the behest of their brass necked masters.

Silly me!

callas

I had previously thought that Anglo Irish Bank had cornered the market on 'prime numbers' on an infinitesimal scale, underwritten by the plebian classes at the behest of their brass necked masters.

Silly me!
Are you suggesting that there are limitless and logarhythmically increasing algorythmic logistical liabilties that are yet to be discovered? what does come after trillions, by the way?

regards james.

I was able to turn the spare cycles of a couple of spare mainframes to that quest in the 90's.

Number Theory is a thing of mine, and the search for primes may have significance one day if a solution is found to finding them where they are expected to be.

General Mayhem

Are you suggesting that there are limitless and logarhythmically increasing algorythmic logistical liabilties that are yet to be discovered? what does come after trillions, by the way?

regards james.
gazillions. duh.