• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Give Irish citizens in the six counties the right to vote for Uachtarán na hÉireann?

Young Ned

Calling for an all-island debate, involving unionists, on achieving Irish unity by peaceful means, he said: “A start could be made next year by granting to Irish citizens in the six counties the right to vote in the presidential election. The current Uachtarán na hÉireann is a native of Belfast but if she had still lived there at the time of her election she would not have been able to vote for herself.
An interesting suggestion, but ultimately meaningless, isn't it? It would be interesting if the Dáil made some some sort of constituency group for the North, similar to how the US allows territories (like Peurto Rico) to have delegates in Congress. They can't vote on floor votes, but can vote in committees.

As an Irish citizen living abroad, I'm completely against the idea of giving the vote to citizens living abroad - I think there are too many and the people whose everyday lives were to be affected would have their votes diluted, in effect.

Any thoughts?

'Militarist factions' in North denounced by McGuinness - The Irish Times - Mon, Jul 19, 2010

TrueBlue84

An interesting suggestion, but ultimately meaningless, isn't it? It would be interesting if the Dáil made some some sort of constituency group for the North, similar to how the US allows territories (like Peurto Rico) to have delegates in Congress. They can't vote on floor votes, but can vote in committees.

As an Irish citizen living abroad, I'm completely against the idea of giving the vote to citizens living abroad - I think there are too many and the people whose everyday lives were to be affected would have their votes diluted, in effect.

Any thoughts?

'Militarist factions' in North denounced by McGuinness - The Irish Times - Mon, Jul 19, 2010
There you go then the "Irish" in Northern Ireland are living abroad = no vote. Why give them a vote and not the so called "Irish" in USA, Australia or wherever?

Young Ned

There you go then the "Irish" in Northern Ireland are living abroad = no vote. Why give them a vote and not the so called "Irish" in USA, Australia or wherever?
Because by virtue of being born in Ireland they get Irish citizenship. As long as they continue to live in a place that confers citizenship, why should they not vote?

Cael

The free state is finished anyway - who cares about its so called president.

Young Ned

The free state is finished anyway - who cares about its so called president.
Well, I don't know about finished, Cael. People have been predicting its demise since '21, so I'll not hold my breath.

Presidential vote would be pretty cosmetic, which is why I brought up the idea of a delegation in the Dáil.

sharpcut

An absurd idea...

So The Oirish will probably do it.

Young Ned

I would deinitely be in favour of the introduction of a Northern constituency for the presidential elections. Would be great if just once the dáil did something positive for Irish citizens living in the north
Aontaim leat. What about some sort of constituency group? obviously, they'd not be able to vote, but they could have representatives sitting at the table when all-Ireland issues are discussed, at least, and possibly have the power to raise issues for consideration.

fluffykontbiscuits

If a person has an Irish passport then fair enough why not? Lets be honest I couldnt care less about the North to be honest but someone possess an Irish passport then they are Irish, its only fair they have a say

The Field Marshal

Any thoughts?

No votes for aggressive Nordies.

Give em an inch and they,ll take a mile.

Look at RTE FFS.

We should remove their automatic right to Irish citizenship immediately.

Tommythecommy

Why would we give people who cannot elect our parliament

Why would we give people who cannot elect our parliament the right to select the person who has the right to veto our laws by referring them to the supreme court?

Why would we give people who do not pay taxes a role in electing our system of Government?

Would a majority of people in northern Ireland want such a system?

What would be the advantage in doing this for us?

Any northern born parson is free to take up residence in the Republic if they want to.

Éamonn an Chnoic

I would deinitely be in favour of the introduction of a Northern constituency for the presidential elections. Would be great if just once the dáil did something positive for Irish citizens living in the north

fluffykontbiscuits

To be honest wouldnt waste the money on them, we have ourselves to worry about.......Let them pay for it themselves if they want it.

The Field Marshal

Daft proposition

Thumbs down to that.

I propose removing any right whatever of anybody in NI to citizenship of the republic.

The population of Northern Ireland have not contributed to the well being of the 26 counties to any great extent and certainly not to the extent of giving any of them automatic Irish citizenship.

Young Ned

Thumbs down to that.

I propose removing any right whatever of anybody in NI to citizenship of the republic.

The population of Northern Ireland have not contributed to the well being of the 26 counties to any great extent and certainly not to the extent of giving any of them automatic Irish citizenship.
Except that without that region, there probably wouldn't be a republic, and then they were abandoned post-treaty. That's not enough? Obviously, partition has made a mess of relations, but I find your antipathy startling.

Amach na Casca

People in the north should of course be given the right to vote in Ireland's Presidential election. It's a bit mean spirited for anyone to be in favour of denying our fellow citizens north of the border that small right.

Young Ned

People in the north should of course be given the right to vote in Ireland's Presidential election. It's a bit mean spirited for anyone to be in favour of denying our fellow citizens north of the border that small right.
I like the notion, too, because it provides a positive step that can be taken towards unity that is not subject to unionist veto, does not include violence, and would not be a terrible burden on the state.

Catalpa

Any thoughts?

Long overdue - should have been part of the GFA IMO.

TradCat

I would be happy to see anyone with an Irish passport given the right to apply for a postal vote in the Presidential election. I also believe all MPs from the north should have the right to attend Dail Eireann but not to vote.