Glen Barr is dead.

Se0samh

Erstwhile UDA Brigadier and political spokesperson, Vanguard member and spokesperson, and one of the leaders of the UWC has died in Altnagelvin Hospital has died aged 75.

He apparently spent his last years involved in community relations projects and in trying to help young people from both communities into employment. He also was instrumental in a monument to the 16th Irish and 36th Ulster Divisions being erected in Messines.

I hope no-one is offended if I hope he rests in peace, as someone once said nearly the good he did should live on, the ill should be buried with him.

Veteran Derry loyalist Glen Barr has passed away - Derry Journal

Last edited:

Se0samh

theloner

Remember all the unionists yapping about him meeting Muammar?

No, nor do I.

Levellers

He stood as a Vanguard representative, the most right wing unionist party ever, yet portrayed himself as a progressive. His jeremiad about the wrongs done to the unionist working class was soporific.

Se0samh

He stood as a Vanguard representative, the most right wing unionist party ever, yet portrayed himself as a progressive. His jeremiad about the wrongs done to the unionist working class was soporific.

A complicated man whose politics I'd disagree with, but not typical........Building a bridge :)

between the bridges

Which is on top of, or close to an unexploded mine.
Given the location of some of the mines is unknown, ye statement could be true, however iirc its location (the park) is on the Allied side and the mines were in theory anyway on the German side...

When it opened, an explosion could have occurred which would have taken 3 heads of state including our own
At the time there were rumors of a bearded man carrying a teddy bear and spade acting suspiciously in the area...

hollandia

Given the location of some of the mines is unknown, ye statement could be true, however iirc its location (the park) is on the Allied side and the mines were in theory anyway on the German side...

At the time there were rumors of a bearded man carrying a teddy bear and spade acting suspiciously in the area...
You need a better disguise bridgey. Or shave.

hollandia

Great Grandpa Hollandia fell 25km from there in Neuve-Chapelle.

AhNowStop

I herd it was a door lookin Presbyterian type carrying a goat hi :shock: lol

Last edited:

Mickeymac

Indeed and I can't see the link between this 'Brigadier' in the UDA to posters mentioning their fallen loved ones in the Great War.

Let's be clear here, this guy was senior in a terror army who were responsible for the slaughter of hundreds of innocent Catholics when he was active Commandant, he and his fellow travellers brought down the first power sharing executive in the sick counties, brought the economy to it's knees through the actions of his organisation, was responsible for the largest shift in population since the '69 pogroms and putting the final touches to complete polarisation which included the erection of more peace walls ever seen.

Give me a break people, hope they bury him deep.....real deep.

owedtojoy

Erstwhile UDA Brigadier and political spokesperson, Vanguard member and spokesperson, and one of the leaders of the UWC has died in Altnagelvin Hospital has died aged 75.

He apparently spent his last years involved in community relations projects and in trying to help young people from both communities into employment. He also was instrumental in a monument to the 16th Irish and 36th Ulster Divisions being erected in Messines.

I hope no-one is offended if I hope he rests in peace, as someone once said nearly the good he did should live on, the ill should be buried with him.

Veteran Derry loyalist Glen Barr has passed away - Derry Journal
A quiet end for a man who loomed very large after the fall of the Power-Sharing Executive set up by the Sunningdale Agreement.

I remember reading that Rev Ian Paisley turned up for a meeting and took up a commanding position at the Conference Room table before Barr entered, only to be immediately told in peremptory fashion "Get out of Glennie's chair!".

Se0samh

A quiet end for a man who loomed very large after the fall of the Power-Sharing Executive set up by the Sunningdale Agreement.

I remember reading that Rev Ian Paisley turned up for a meeting and took up a commanding position at the Conference Room table before Barr entered, only to be immediately told in peremptory fashion "Get out of Glennie's chair!".

Paisley: Religion and Politics in Northern Ireland By Steve Bruce ....page 107. :D

puffin

Indeed and I can't see the link between this 'Brigadier' in the UDA to posters mentioning their fallen loved ones in the Great War.

Let's be clear here, this guy was senior in a terror army who were responsible for the slaughter of hundreds of innocent Catholics when he was active Commandant, he and his fellow travellers brought down the first power sharing executive in the sick counties, brought the economy to it's knees through the actions of his organisation, was responsible for the largest shift in population since the '69 pogroms and putting the final touches to complete polarisation which included the erection of more peace walls ever seen.

Give me a break people, hope they bury him deep.....real deep.
Sinn Fein must have been fellow travelers too, As they were also against the Sunningdale Agreement.😜

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies