Global Heat Wave: Is This The New Climate Change Normal?:

Herr Rommel

The biggest con of the 21st century is global warming.

RasherHash

Would you be prepared to explain it away if somewhere in SE England hits 40c within a decade or France goes beyond 46. The really extraordinary temp this summer was the 45.7 in June in SE France, a similiar set of conditions in late July could have given us 47.

Your mostly of hard left disposition so can u not see some potential here to hurt the neoliberal plutocrats. Owed possibly wouldnt concur but until a week ago I was mostly in the denier camp but if its real than surely the response of the OECD has to be an immediate move to major structural change, 4 day week, working from home, UBI/Yang and end of capitalism-gdp growth being the holy grail. Encourage populace to embrace mmda, ganga, mushrooms so to become more mellow and hopefully less materialistic. A fundamental retuning of society but somehow still arresting poverty in Africa, South Asia while containting carbon growth so that we don't have to become so callosuly immune to what could be mass climate refugee.
Wow :oops:

I'm afraid I'm only a 3rd or 4th level denier, I wouldn't have the clearance to go to the level you're at!

Only kidding, I just look at the facts and think the manipulation of same in the interests of left or right is fundamentally dishonest.

Itsalaugh

T
Well the main reason behind the muted response is decades of Alarmist nonsense, people are sick of the constant fear mongering, hyping up every weather event which is being exploited for 'end of the world propaganda'. Also, climate science has been caught fiddling the numbers so often, it's no surprise people take their hand waving with a pinch of salt. BTW, the UK 'RECORD' has already been exposed as not being a record, I'm sure more of these records will be exposed as just more Alarmist propaganda.
To yourself and Herr Romel, i mostly concured up to a week back. I know Europe as had 2/3 very severe winters since the turn of the millenium, Taiwan having unprecedented snow storms, uplands in Indonesia seeing ice destroy the tea crop to counterweight the hysteria but seeing a record shattered by almost 4f in Paris is pretty unprecedented.

RasherHash

Would you be prepared to explain it away if somewhere in SE England hits 40c within a decade or France goes beyond 46. The really extraordinary temp this summer was the 45.7 in June in SE France, a similiar set of conditions in late July could have given us 47.
Even 40+ is within what could be described as normal and as I say one has to take into account the possibility of manipulation 'in the cause' and anomalies which may cause a high (or low) figure.

There is way too much hysteria surrounding the issue at the minute and this suits governments who want to be able to slip in their tax demands or other unpopular move in the guise of concern over the climate or whatever they can get away with.

Itsalaugh

Wow :oops:

I'm afraid I'm only a 3rd or 4th level denier, I wouldn't have the clearance to go to the level you're at!

Only kidding, I just look at the facts and think the manipulation of same in the interests of left or right is fundamentally dishonest.
If its a genuine emergency than nationalise energy companies and goliaths such as amazon. Why should burden fall on the working poor.

McSlaggart

Even 40+ is within what could be described as normal and as I say one has to take into account the possibility of manipulation 'in the cause' and anomalies which may cause a high (or low) figure.

There is way too much hysteria surrounding the issue at the minute and this suits governments who want to be able to slip in their tax demands or other unpopular move in the guise of concern over the climate or whatever they can get away with.

Would you have any scientific research to support your points.

RasherHash

To yourself and Herr Romel, i mostly concured up to a week back. I know Europe as had 2/3 very severe winters since the turn of the millenium, Taiwan having unprecedented snow storms, uplands in Indonesia seeing ice destroy the tea crop to counterweight the hysteria but seeing a record shattered by almost 4f in Paris is pretty unprecedented.
This is a counter view to the msm, you can get anomalous readings and that might be what happened in Paris.

Of course the msm (who are busy supporting government policy, the government that pays them) put out the most alarming news they can, as a FG minitser once said, 'frighten the shyte outta them' :confused:

Itsalaugh

I

Re your second paragraph I agree. I dont get that those, without naming them, who believe it is such an existential threat were so supportive of neoliberal charaltans such as Clinton, Obama, Blair and so dismissive of Tulsi and even Sanders.

RasherHash

If its a genuine emergency than nationalise energy companies and goliaths such as amazon. Why should burden fall on the working poor.
Exactly, it's well known that aircraft use huge mounts of fossil fuel and yet, no impact, zero, on flying, no government missives on stopping so many flights, no government demands to its own ministers and TDs to stop flying everywhere, no missives on driving and cycling, none (apart from wishful thinking, pie-in-the-sky 'hopes' etc).

Ryanair and Aer Lingus don't seem to have any concerns whatsoever, none.

IT'S LAUGHABLE :LOL:

RasherHash

Would you have any scientific research to support your points.
Margin or error or confidence interval is a well known scientific approach, are you asking me for scientific research to support 'margin of error'?

RasherHash

Another point I made is that the ice is too thick for ice breakers to get through the Arctic crossing now, while a wooden hulled ship was able to do so in 1944, the facts are above.

If you think this is wrong or a lie show me what you've got.

RasherHash

Another point was that the 30s, 40s and 50s were hotter than this decade, yet the CO2 was about c.300ppm, today it's supposed to be 440ppm, so the idea that CO2 is driving warming is not supported by that.

Itsalaugh

This is a counter view to the msm, you can get anomalous readings and that might be what happened in Paris.

Of course the msm (who are busy supporting government policy, the government that pays them) put out the most alarming news they can, as a FG minitser once said, 'frighten the shyte outta them' :confused:
He admits he may be wrong on dismissing the record here and i see noone is disputing the shattering of the Paris record on thursday.

Itsalaugh

Exactly, it's well known that aircraft use huge mounts of fossil fuel and yet, no impact, zero, on flying, no government missives on stopping so many flights, no government demands to its own ministers and TDs to stop flying everywhere, no missives on driving and cycling, none (apart from wishful thinking, pie-in-the-sky 'hopes' etc).

Ryanair and Aer Lingus don't seem to have any concerns whatsoever, none.

IT'S LAUGHABLE :LOL:
It would be detrimental no matter the environmental harm to return to an era where only elites could avail of air travel. Yangs idea of Universal Basic Income could be broadened that it is still applicable, with restrictions, for people to be able to go on an extended idyll in say somewhere exotic. Maybe twice a decade extended holidays/cultural exleriences which still benefit the eeconomy of developing countries reliant on tourism. Also afforable air transport available for bereavments etc. We can be imaginative with this if we are indeed facing an existential threat. In many places in the tropics its only the revenue from western divers that has kept the coral and reef critters from being completely obliterated by the impoverished fishermen.

Herr Rommel

It is an excuse to hit the everyman on the street with more crazy taxes all in the name of saving the planet.

Sure here you go Rommel just pay another €1000 on tax every year and the global warming problem will disappear just like all the millions of tonnes of fossil fuels which are burned every day in air travel.

Breeal

T

Eh, you wondered why people weren't taking this seriously, I explained that it was people have been using every weather event as propaganda to push the Alarmist agenda, you follow my response up with a load of Alarmist propaganda, point proved!:)

Itsalaugh

Th
Eh, you wondered why people weren't taking this seriously, I explained that it was people have been using every weather event as propaganda to push the Alarmist agenda, you follow my response up with a load of Alarmist propaganda, point proved!:)
Those prior cold weather episodes when sidelined by the media pushing an alternative agenda had me more inclined to believe that the denial narrative that global temps were being sexed up was true.

mangaire2

You have to balance that with the fact that Eastern Europe had a cold spell and that records everywhere weren't broken.
of course you have to "balance" things.
the average global temperature didn't soar last week or last month.
those of us who accept the reality of AW accept that average global temperature increased by a little over 1C over the past century or so.
so, if there were record highs in some places last week, other places had to have lower than average temperatures.
Rash a mhic - didn't you learn about averages for your Inter ?
the predicted (beware of predictions) UK record break failed to materialise on Thursday.
sorry, more bad news for you Rasher - a new record high temperature was recorded in England - Cambridge I think -
it has to go through some confirmation process by the British Met Service before it's confirmed as a record.

yeah, that pic.
ol Breeal posted it a few weeks ago - I asked him what point he was trying to make,
& as what Deniers (apart from yourself) often tend to do, ol Breeal took a Vow of Silence on the matter.
so Rasher, as you're not big into this Vows of Silence racket, maybe you might be kind enough as to tell me what point you're trying to make with that pic?

mangaire2

if global temperature continues to increase, it's the poor who will suffer first & most -
the poor of the underdeveloped world in regions that are barely habitable right now due to high temperatures/drought/extreme climatic events,. & the poor in the developed world like in the USA.

the most immediate threat may well be a global breakdown of law & order.
I expect that the US are preparing for this - the extreme right wing may even see it as an opportunity.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies