GM to close factory where Trump promised "You will not lose one plant" ...

owedtojoy

Difference between us is i realise my views are irrelevant !

I respect the democratic wishes of the US people and their choice as president. I'd suggest you do likewise but to be honest it doesnt matter either way what you think about the president of the US.
Of course I accept the decision of the US electorate, though I also accept Deontay Wilder "beat" Tyson Fury last Saturday. Wilder is still the Champion by the rules, no matter how many think Fury more deserving.

Job One is to make Trump a one-term President, and even if not, Opposition will continue until he is gone.

Of course I accept the decision of the US electorate, though I also accept Deontay Wilder "beat" Tyson Fury last Saturday. Wilder is still the Champion by the rules, no matter how many think Fury more deserving.

Job One is to make Trump a one-term President, and even if not, Opposition will continue until he is gone.
You only accept Democracy when it does what you want.

Gin Soaked

Read the link in the OP

If Im not mistaken the Chevy Volt is an EV. So, that's not good news for the company as a whole
Volt is a hybrid. And a saloon (sedan). The Chevy Bolt is an EV. Bolt remains..

Basically they are killing saloon cars to focus on crossovers and SUVs. Because people who buy cars are old and fat and crossovers are easier to get into .

Young people are too skint to buy cars....

And traffic is so bad that the better handling saloon is pointless in stop and go traffic. No one cares how a crossover handles so engineers can be cheap and lazy.

Gin Soaked

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/04/business/ford-job-cut-forecast/index.html

Ford to cut 25,000 jobs, mostly in Europe, where it struggles. Also Ford US ditched sedans in favour of SUVs and Crossovers before GM.

In the EU, You mostly buy a small reliable car or buy a 'premium ' or near premium brand. Hence the proliferation of Audi and BMW, and the ever sharpening of Mercedes, where, anything less than an E class is just badge delusion, and even the previous E class felt like a Vectra.

Also sinister in the article is the reference to transforming its "salaried" workforce. That won't be nice.... And political dynamite in the UK and other EU factories.

ruman

And what precisely does this job entail for you personally ?
Posting on a website in a country thousands of miles from the US !
Fight the power baby.

ruman

This poor little fellow thinks the US is a real "democracy" agh bless

Your mommy may have told you, you were special growing up but in the real world the outcome you desire may not always happen. That might be upsetting for you but you will have to deal with. Failing that you can whinge to mommy that "its just not fair". Being honest nobody gives a toss what you think about US democracy.

owedtojoy

And what precisely does this job entail for you personally ?
Posting on a website in a country thousands of miles from the US !
Fight the power baby.
So what's your excuse?

I enjoy myself, that's mine.

ruman

So what's your excuse?

I enjoy myself, that's mine.
Well you stated your job was to make Trump a one term president, at least you seem to have acknowledged you are contributing zero to achieving that. As long as you're amusing yourself , knock yourself out i guess.

Well you stated your job was to make Trump a one term president, at least you seem to have acknowledged you are contributing zero to achieving that. As long as you're amusing yourself , knock yourself out i guess.
Him and Palm are good friends

valamhic

Banned
Because, as pointed out in the steel thread*, GM costs would go up on the back of tariffs. This is why GM was against steel tariffs in the first place, and has now closed these plants. As highlighted to you, the users of steel far outnumber the producers, and as the former costs would go up, jobs would go down. You did not have the intelligence to accept that then, and I dare say you are repeating your foolishness.

*where you showed your utter lack of ignorance re steel grades and products despite claiming "expertise"
The tariffs are only on the steel itself, not on the added value of the final components. Every vehicle manufacturer has to pay it, so it fair to all. Imported vehicles contain the same metals.

valamhic

Banned
This poor little fellow thinks the US is a real "democracy" agh bless
It has its constitution and its way of choosing its government, its up to you to campaign to change it is you don't like it. It seems to have worked pretty good. The world relies on the US for its defense, its grain, its inventions, its engineering. It so horrible in your eyes that the whole world (with you beautiful alternative election systems) is queuing up to go and live there.

They are risking life and limb, undergoing very harsh conditions and paying people smugglers to to migrate to it. Yet you can't accept the right of its people to decide how to run its affairs.

valamhic

Banned
The most idiotic comment of all! "you did not accept the result of the last election", often said about the results of referenda and court cases also. Anyone who questioned the verdict of the Jobstown mob was also accused of "not accepting the verdict"
Of course we have to accept that Trump won, he is POTUS after all, however that does not prevent people from questioning how he got there and if he is fit to hold such an office. Just because Mr Spanky Pee Pee won the election does not mean that people cannot highlight his many, many shortcomings and lies!
This thread is about President Trump, not about Irish politics. I have not offered no opinion on the Jobstown affair at all. I did not say there could not be discussion on American Presidents. I said that if Owde would not accept the result of the 2016 ejection, he would hardly accept the result of the next one. I and most others accepted the result of all previous US ejections, but I am expected to make an exception in the 2016 one because you learned a few word like peeedily poodly wondly wandly diddly pooh. You got too mush of the Tellytubbies as a child.

valamhic

Banned
Business must evolve and produce to meet customer needs. The day of customers buying any old product is gone. I had enough bad experiences of bad vehicles to choose carefully. GM needs to innovate. Most books on the subject are written by Americans.

Trumps agenda is not to keep production of junk, its to promote best quality manufacturing. He said that many times.

It has its constitution and its way of choosing its government, its up to you to campaign to change it is you don't like it. It seems to have worked pretty good. The world relies on the US for its defense, its grain, its inventions, its engineering. It so horrible in your eyes that the whole world (with you beautiful alternative election systems) is queuing up to go and live there.

They are risking life and limb, undergoing very harsh conditions and paying people smugglers to to migrate to it. Yet you can't accept the right of its people to decide how to run its affairs.
China produces more Wheat than US and Russia exports more than US

riven

The tariffs are only on the steel itself, not on the added value of the final components. Every vehicle manufacturer has to pay it, so it fair to all. Imported vehicles contain the same metals.
Seiously have you any idea what you are talking about? Imported cars do not pay steel tariffs.

Jack Walsh

wage growth in US in November grow at a pathetic 0.2%,
2.4% annualised gross wage growth, not even enough to keep pace with inflation, and yet this moron wails daily of "the greatest economy in history"

American workers are getting it up the back passage like never before in history.
Record corporate profits and not one cent of it going back into workers pockets.
That is indeed a GOP style "great economy"

owedtojoy

2.4% annualised gross wage growth, not even enough to keep pace with inflation, and yet this moron wails daily of "the greatest economy in history"

American workers are getting it up the back passage like never before in history.
Record corporate profits and not one cent of it going back into workers pockets.
The outcome for the world economy is for growth to slow, and that includes the US.

The sugar rush of corporate tax cuts is done, and it made little or no difference to the middle class.

That means the working class/ middle class (they are virtually the same) voters who took a punt on Trump in 2016 will be no better off on average in 2020.

Meanwhile Trump's approval rating stubbornly refuses to rise. 538 finds he is deeply unpopular in urban and suburban America.

Trump Is Only Popular In Rural Areas | FiveThirtyEight

owedtojoy

Trump was loud on ending Obama's "war on coal", though he was told (even by coal barons) that the big problems were mechanisation and cheap gas.

Since being elected, has Trump delivered for coal miners.

Emphatically not, the supposed business genius cannot save a dying industry, though he will probably keep pretending he can. And coal miners might continue to believe him.

Wall Street Journal (Paywall):

Just last summer, Northern Indiana Public Service Co. planned to retire two of its five remaining coal-fired power plants by 2023. Now, it plans to do away with all of them over the next decade, and buy more solar and wind power instead......

Xcel Energy Inc. said last month that it plans to shift entirely to 100% carbon-free power generation by 2050, becoming the first major U.S. utility to make such a pledge.

The company, which covers parts of Colorado, Minnesota and six other states, says that coal could account for as little of 10% of its power mix by 2030. It was more than one-third of the mix in 2017. Xcel expects lower fuel and production costs will eventually offset some initial rate increases.
The difference between Barack Obama’s “war on coal” and Donald Trump’s is that Trump’s war by inaction is three times as destructive.
Donald Trumps War on Coal

Fade to Black: Coal Closures Accelerate

bokuden

The General Motors plant is in Warren, Michigan, and 9 days before the 2016 election, Donald Trump stood there and promised:

GM to close 5 factories, including Hamtramck and Warren | Michigan Radio

Other plant closures will happen in Ohio and Maryland.

Trump gave General Motors a massive tax cut, he reduced their costs by cancelling Obama's regulations on car emissions, so this is a kick in the teeth. Trump understandably was enraged and made threats such as cutting electric car subsidies, but that is not possible without Congress. And the incoming Democratic Congress is going to defend electric cars, and the renewable energy industry generally.

Indeed, Trump is right about one thing - the US did save GM from going under, however he did not mention that Obama and the Democrats did that. If anything, this shows that Trump made reckless promises that he cannot keep. Or that he was totally incompetent in his attempt to keep them.

Michael Moore has been a lifelong critic of General Motors, and his opinion is worth listening to. In his view, the corporations played Trump until they got their tax breaks, now they can do what they like.

[video=youtube;Mwyeajb5Vrg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwyeajb5Vrg&feature=push-fr&attr_tag=Dakk5ZL3ja0U35NM%3A6[/video]

Michigan narrowly gave its 16 Electoral Votes to Trump in 2016, but in 2018 Democrats held their Senate seat, won the race for Governor, and flipped two House seats into their column. The Democrats also had encouraging results in Wisconsin (10 EVs), where they unseated two-term Governor Scott Walker, and in Pennsylvania (20 EVs). Both those states also narrowly favoured Trump in 2016, in fact the 3 states in all made up his margin of victory (without them he would have lost 273 - 258)

The knock-on effect of these closures will be felt across the Rust Belt in 2020.
Maybe at some stage, Americans will realise that they reason their country is going down the toilet is that corporate capitalist companies run the show. But I doubt it. The implosion of the US of A will continue.

bokuden

The US is in long term decline. China is on the rise.