• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Go, Harvey, Go (Please!!)

Utopian Hermit Monk

Irish Independent
Thursday, Nov 27

Harvey regrets his Norman invasion

RETAIL giant Harvey Norman has compared Ireland's economic downturn to the return of the "potato famine", writes Billy Cantwell.

Speaking at yesterday's annual meeting, chief executive Gerry Harvey described the performance of his 13 Irish stores as "catastrophic" and said he regretted expanding into the Irish market. But he added that the investment was too big to pull out now....

... New Zealand, like Australia, its not that bad, but Ireland. Phew, just imagine you opened in Ireland; you'd want to go and cut your throat. The potato famine, someone said, the return of the potato famine in Ireland." ...

The company's CEO Katie Page said: "It's a depressing time for a lot of people, certainly for the executive directors here; we are working so hard, we wish that Ireland wouldn't return to a potato famine."

a related item:

Milk of human kindness curdles - Opinion: views on the news on Stuff.co.nz

Milk of human kindness curdles
By ROSEMARY McLEOD (Dominion Post, New Zealand)

I'm no fan of whiteware, that ugly necessity, but I do know where I won't be buying any, even if the milk curdles, the laundry rots, and the butter trickles down the wall.

That's because I don't buy the recent reported utterances of Australian retail king Gerry Harvey, of Harvey Norman. The most you can say for them is that they are at least honest.

Mr Harvey, who is worth A$1.8 billion in money terms, was asked about the good works he and his business do in the community. He replied that giving money to people who "are not putting anything back into the community" is like "helping a whole heap of no-hopers to survive for no good reason".

Little did Charles Darwin imagine where his theory of evolution would lead. He supplied men like Mr Harvey with the idea of survival of the fittest, a charming notion just so long as you're fit and healthy yourself.

What an unpleasant, greedy creep!
And, now that we have temporarily ceased to add to his fortune, he is bad-mouthing us in the international media.

I hope his remaining Irish customers now take their business elsewhere, thereby encouraging Harvey to act on his word and GO!

(today could be designated 'Harney and Harvey Day'!)

Last edited:

Fir Bolg

I have never set foot in one of his stores solely based on his ridiculous advertising style. Nor do I ever intend to buy anything from him.

inchicore_republican

What a ************************* imagine if he said the downturn in Israel was like the return of the holocaust.

yehbut_nobut

Aindriu

How can an Australian be a feckin Norman? :rolleyes:

Kevin Doyle

I have never set foot in one of his stores solely based on his ridiculous advertising style. Nor do I ever intend to buy anything from him.
He is the Michael O'Leary of the Electronics Goods world.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
That makes two of us (and I suspect many thousands of others too). If the HN shops were to close and those ads stop, I would see it as a benefit of the recession.

markeys

Its been a woeful year for retails selling expensive goods. By expensive I mean anything other than everyday items. Maybe he's just telling it like it is. I like that he's plain talking.
Maybe if he hadn't come we'd all still be paying ESB prices for our appliances.

Clanrickard

I've decided to shop there so that I can boycott them...

Bloke's a d1ck, but then many Australian men are, a land of extremely right-wing, racist, wife beating closet homosexuals with their desperately exaggerated masculinity as a beard. Personally, I'd arm the Abo's to the teeth and point them at Canberra...
Can you see the hypocracy in your post?

aZeroGodist

Website
www.atheist.ie
Went into one of their shops when they opened in Cork first, SALE price reduced from €XXX down to 25% off etc. went over to soundstore to compare see how much I will be saving, the exact same camcorder not on sale €10 cheaper in ss. go go go Havey please just go.

PhoenixIreland

Website
www.huffingtonpost.com
That makes two of us (and I suspect many thousands of others too). If the HN shops were to close and those ads stop, I would see it as a benefit of the recession.
That makes three. The ads were too annoying to even contemplate shopping there

(and for someone doing so bad he still has recrutiment posts up on the job sites....)

I've decided to shop there so that I can boycott them...

Bloke's a d1ck, but then many Australian men are, a land of extremely right-wing, racist, wife beating closet homosexuals with their desperately exaggerated masculinity as a beard. Personally, I'd arm the Abo's to the teeth and point them at Canberra...
Hilarious......to describe an entire race in this fashion points to your ignorance rather than to the merits of an entire race. Spent 2 years mainly in the outback in Oz - whilst the Aussies were a bit rough, they were also open friendly with little or no airs or graces.

BTW since you are too dopey to spot it...the hypocrisy in your post is that to call an Aborigine an A*o is equivalent to calling Blackman a N****r. So retreat into yer hole dopey.

Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie Oi Oi Oi

Hilarious......to describe an entire race in this fashion points to your ignorance rather than to the merits of an entire race. Spent 2 years mainly in the outback in Oz - whilst the Aussies were a bit rough, they were also open friendly with little or no airs or graces.

BTW since you are too dopey to spot it...the hypocrisy in your post is that to call an Aborigine an A*o is equivalent to calling Blackman a N****r. So retreat into yer hole dopey.

About as equivalent as Australia is to a yoghurt (one has a culture). Ex-prisoners and sailor-boys, it's not great genetic material, is it...

If wit were s**t you'd be constipated! If you have to explain the joke.............

Seriously though, mongrels are always more hardier than thoroughbreds. So speaking as one inbred Irishman to another I'd reckon yer on sticky ground on that one!

Last edited:

Fir Bolg

Australians are not a race. They are a nation. Aboriginals can be described as a race though.

Popular Threads

Most Replies