• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Go safe camera's not working....Time to scrap the revenue making fiasco

fuque

Low and behold designed to save lives, but clearly failing in they're objective.

Numbers dead on roads so far this year double last year’s levels - National News - Independent.ie

Suprise suprise, someones making millions off motorists (again), and road safety hasnt improved. This bu.llsh.it spin has to stop. As i stated back in the day, at the beginning of go safes campaign, deaths were down, and the powers that be couldnt wait to get to the media shouting "see, we are right". Will the same people now come out and say "upps, we were wrong...." not likely. Stats on road deaths will rise and fall year in year out no matter what action is taking.

By the way, i want to make it clear im all for road safety, and feel for anyone out there who lost loved ones. However as i also stated before, if they want to put camera's everywhere, why not fixed ones? Danger zones will become known, all motorists will slow down in these particular places, objective achieved!! But no, they want to move them at random, playing cat and mouse with peoples lives, simply to insure the dollars keep rolling in. This is disgusting and immoral. What say you?

SPN

The Field Marshal

A quisling government like Irelands will buy any old rubbish if it pretends to save lives.

The rubbish is then backed to the hilt by overpaid hacks in the Irish state owned dominant TV/Radio broadcasting organisation [RTE].

FrankSpeaks

Low and behold designed to save lives, but clearly failing in they're objective.

Numbers dead on roads so far this year double last year’s levels - National News - Independent.ie

Suprise suprise, someones making millions off motorists (again), and road safety hasnt improved. This bu.llsh.it spin has to stop. As i stated back in the day, at the beginning of go safes campaign, deaths were down, and the powers that be couldnt wait to get to the media shouting "see, we are right". Will the same people now come out and say "upps, we were wrong...." not likely. Stats on road deaths will rise and fall year in year out no matter what action is taking.

By the way, i want to make it clear im all for road safety, and feel for anyone out there who lost loved ones. However as i also stated before, if they want to put camera's everywhere, why not fixed ones? Danger zones will become known, all motorists will slow down in these particular places, objective achieved!! But no, they want to move them at random, playing cat and mouse with peoples lives, simply to insure the dollars keep rolling in. This is disgusting and immoral. What say you?
FFS we are hardly a month into the year, you will get individual high months, overall the results have been a success, I like the fact that the places the cameras are likely to be are signposted and for the most part the spots are dangerous.

White Horse

They are working.

They are raising a lot of money, just what they were designed for.

fuque

FFS we are hardly a month into the year, you will get individual high months, overall the results have been a success, I like the fact that the places the cameras are likely to be are signposted and for the most part the spots are dangerous.
I will take your point. However nearly double this month as opposed to 12 months ago. That could happen next month or the month after and so on. The point is they DONT control the stats, and their cameras arguably arent doing what they said they would. In the meantime, the money rolls in one way or the other. The spots that are supposed to be dangerous.......people are still getting done for speeding, so the objective is NOT working. Precisely because they WANT people to speed. No one can argue my point about fixed cameras been the best solution. Unfortunately that dosent make the greedy bastids money, hence it wont be applied.

Clanrickard

Worst OP ever. Taking the first 3 weeks of a 52 week year as evidence of something would shame Goebbels.

livingstone

Rubbish - you cannot statistically compare one-seventeenth of a time period and suggest that it means that the trend is going in the wrong direction for the whole time period. Road deaths are on an overall downward trend and picking three random weeks to suggest that that is not the case is bizarre in the extreme.

Skyrocket

Bizarre OP.

2012 was one of the safest years on the roads in Ireland yet the conclusion is that "road safety hasn't improved" based on the first three weeks of January.

fuque

Bizarre OP.

2012 was one of the safest years on the roads in Ireland yet the conclusion is that "road safety hasn't improved" based on the first three weeks of January.
What will go safes response be when annual stats rise?(with a start like that, bound to be this year) Will they have anyone to answer to? They'll have made millions, will you give a toss?

Ryan Tubbs

Road deaths for the last few Januarys:

2004 - 32
2005 - 33
2006 - 40
2007 - 22
2008 - 25
2009 - 18
2010 - 15
2011 - 21
2012 - 13
2013 - 17

The trend is clear, so what's the problem?

And what's the problem with screwing speeding drivers for cash? Seems like a perfectly fair revenue-raising idea to me.

Ryan Tubbs

Here's the really shocking figure: 162 people died on the roads in 2012.

In 1998, it was 458.

ffc

There is one very simple way to sabotage this "money making" scheme and that is, err............... to do the speed limit and no more.

ygargarin

The word is "surprise"

There has been a dramatic decrease in road traffic deaths in the Republic.

I'm not convinced of the reason. Doubt that it has anything to do with the RSA or Government agencies tbh. Those guys need to justify their existence and create spin accordingly.

It's probably got more to do with the recession - less travel, young lunatic drivers emigrated (they're probably causing mayhem in Canada, Aus, US etc.). Lots of foreigners also left Ireland so they'll be killing people in their home countries rather than here.

cabledude

Not too good at the old statistics, are we. Go Safe vans are no issue for those who do not break the law.

crossman

The word is "surprise"

There has been a dramatic decrease in road traffic deaths in the Republic.

I'm not convinced of the reason. Doubt that it has anything to do with the RSA or Government agencies tbh. Those guys need to justify their existence and create spin accordingly.

I think it has actually. Better roads, especially more motorway, must be a big factor.

fuque

Road deaths for the last few Januarys:

2004 - 32
2005 - 33
2006 - 40
2007 - 22
2008 - 25
2009 - 18
2010 - 15
2011 - 21
2012 - 13
2013 - 17

The trend is clear, so what's the problem?

And what's the problem with screwing speeding drivers for cash? Seems like a perfectly fair revenue-raising idea to me.
The problem is these guys are trying to claim credit for falling stats! You can say its a fair way, i completely disagree. They actively want you to speed, the method they use of entrapment is clear proof of this, which is the bulk of my issue. The hypocracy of lying about road safety in order to cash in. Can anyone answer why they dont use fixed camera's?, apart from the two obvious reasons, people actually slowing down and them making millions less..

fuque

Not too good at the old statistics, are we. Go Safe vans are no issue for those who do not break the law.
Me or the Independent?

owedtojoy

17 road deaths in January is well below the average. The figure of 10 last year was the aberration.

Nothing whatosever to do with the Xavier McAuliffe €250,000 a week retirement scheme that is the Go Safe racket.

Fatalities and other Traffic Statistics - An Garda Síochána - Ireland's National Police Service
I presume you meant "17 road deaths in January is ABOVE the average"

Anyway, it isn't.

For January, the numbers staring with 2013 and going backwards are : 17 (so far), 10, 21, 15, 18, 25, 22 .... the average for the six years 2012 back to 2007 is 18.5 fatalities in this month.

It looks like it was 2012 that bucked the trend with a big drop from an average of 20.

Still it is a concern, and I am not saying the camera company should not be monitored. But it would be woefully premature to turn around and cancel the contract when the trend of fatalities is still downward.

I would be more interested in the spatial correlation of where the vans are sited (most of the time) and the fatalities nearby. It should be possible to find an optimum profile of where to site the cameras and for how long on a daily basis.