Good Friday Agreement dead

McSlaggart

On talkback to day they was back discussing the nature of how alive the GFA was. Sadly I personally think its dead and more to the point has clarified the nature of "Northern Ireland".

It strikes me that the imposition of conservative direct rule will be strongly welcomed by unionists. This will put the DUP at a place of considerable position of power as they are propping up the Conservatives. The downside is they will equally be responsible for the actions taken by the conservatives.

Is it time to have a referendum on the nature of Northern Ireland and to divide it into 2 Cantons for administration purposes?

Catalpast

On talkback to day they was back discussing the nature of how alive the GFA was. Sadly I personally think its dead and more to the point has clarified the nature of "Northern Ireland".

It strikes me that the imposition of conservative direct rule will be strongly welcomed by unionists. This will put the DUP at a place of considerable position of power as they are propping up the Conservatives. The downside is they will equally be responsible for the actions taken by the conservatives.

Is it time to have a referendum on the nature of Northern Ireland and to divide it into 2 Cantons for administration purposes?
Re-partition would trigger Civil War

The GFA is now a dead letter all right

- but the DUP know they must make hay while the Sun shines

- as another General Election cannot be more than 18/24 months away

From SFs POV they might as well bide their time

- and hope that JC is the next occupant of No10.....

McSlaggart

Re-partition would trigger Civil War

The GFA is now a dead letter all right

- but the DUP know they must make hay while the Sun shines

- as another General Election cannot be more than 18/24 months away

From SFs POV they might as well bide their time

- and hope that JC is the next occupant of No10.....
I do not think we should go for Re-partition just allow the current allow the current councils to align for certain matters that would be currently carried out in the assembly. Not ideal but at least its a working solution.

McSlaggart

What is your alternative?

I admire the way that unionism sticks rigid to its set position 1. For people like myself its time to get something that floats and get of this crazy sinking ship.

"Many of the survivors said that Hartley and the band continued to play until the very end. One second-class passenger said: Many brave things were done that night, but none were more brave than those done by men playing minute after minute as the ship settled quietly lower and lower in the sea."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musicians_of_the_RMS_Titanic

NMunsterman

I do not think we should go for Re-partition just allow the current allow the current councils to align for certain matters that would be currently carried out in the assembly. Not ideal but at least its a working solution.
Re-partition is a non-starter.
Period.

The North to be run through the BIIGC if the North's Assembly fails to get up and running.

Glenshane4

Why do we need to have a referendum? Yes, Northern Ireland should be partitioned into a Prod Canton and a Catholic Canton. That should have been done in 1921.

AhNowStop

Fleggory Campbell was made look every bit the complete troglodyte he is today on talkback ... and mostly be another unionist, Alex Kane...

No wonder the Assembly is unworkable :roll:

As for re-partition ... :shock: ..

NMunsterman

Not re-patition more a realignment of local government. This will be need due to Brexit and the need for local response.
Re-partition is a non-starter.

Period.

AhNowStop

When the Assembly finally dies then local government should be given the authority to get together to deal with issues around Brexit.
Ah right, I though you were on about re-partition in your OP :? lol...

As for local government taking the slack ..... Could "all" the councils be any more trusted to do the right thing than what we've seen in the assembly ? ... I doubt it !!

Glenshane4

As for local government taking the slack ..... Could "all" the councils be any more trusted to do the right thing than what we've seen in the assembly ? ... I doubt it !!

Probably not. Catholics "trapped" in a council area in which Prods are in control could re-locate to liberated areas.

Mickeymac

Let's get real here and make it short....since the establishment of the false Orange/Unionist one party statelet many things were tried to make it work, Sunningdale power sharing, which as we all know was brought down by extreme unionism, then we had the GFA which went through many problems (to say the least) especially given the fact the largest party in the last Stormont executive did not even sign up to the GFA, given all that. let's try something that was never tried......a 32 county United Ireland based on peace/justice/equality for all........Get it on politicos and quit p1$$ing about.

gerhard dengler

Dunno.

There is a huge amount of investment being made in bricks and mortar in places such as Belfast and Derry City.

Mickeymac

Dunno.

There is a huge amount of investment being made in bricks and mortar in places such as Belfast and Derry City.

Ensuring a New Ireland based on peace/justice/respect/equality for all is paramount, investment/jobs/bricks/mortar etc etc will naturally follow.

Niall996

The key principle that matters to most people, and the one voted for by a majority of both Catholics and Protestants in the six counties is that the decision over the future of the territory in now fully in the hands of the Irish people themselves. That key principle has never been more relevant or more alive actually. The local shenanigans are just a tiny footnote. Fundamentally, if the five million or so Irish people (CNR) on the island want unity they can get it in a vote - if not today then in five years or thereabouts which you'd need to plan and prepare anyway. The million or so who want to describe themselves as British PUL's/WB's can always do so. No once cares about that anyway.

gerhard dengler

gerhard dengler said:
Dunno.

Ensuring a New Ireland based on peace/justice/respect/equality for all is paramount, investment/jobs/bricks/mortar etc etc will naturally follow.
Nope.

The investment in bricks and mortar is already happening, independent of the political clock.

Mickeymac

Nope.

The investment in bricks and mortar is already happening, independent of the political clock.

I will look forward to the responses of people in Belfast and Derry who have been denied justice and equality to your bizarre comments pal.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies