Good news for Clerys workers

DaveM

Good news (at last) for the former Clery's workers. Congratulations to them and well done to SIPTU

Former Clerys workers will be given 'goodwill payment' - Independent.ie
Seems to be a reasonable outcome. There's still a legal issue as to how this came about and the slight of hand which allowed the business to be split leaving concession holders and employees high and dry. That's a loophole that should be firmly closed so this is not allowed to ever happen again.

Se0samh

Seems to be a reasonable outcome. There's still a legal issue as to how this came about and the slight of hand which allowed the business to be split leaving concession holders and employees high and dry. That's a loophole that should be firmly closed so this is not allowed to ever happen again.
Indeed, there should be no need for a "goodwill payment".............there should be a legal obligation..........

wombat

Indeed, there should be no need for a "goodwill payment".............there should be a legal obligation..........
Probably need to remove some of the protection given to directors of limited companies, particularly those who do not pass on prsi deductions to DSW leaving workers unaware that they are unprotected.

SeanieFitz

For every loophole blocked there are a myriad of well paid legal eagles floating around to find another

realistic1

DaveM

For every loophole blocked there are a myriad of well paid legal eagles floating around to find another
True. But this was one which left a particularly bitter taste. Legal it may have been. Ethical it most certainly was not.

wombat

Good news (at last) for the former Clery's workers. Congratulations to them and well done to SIPTU
No doubt that it took a huge amount of work by the people involved, it looked like a lost cause from the outside, all the negotiators will get out of it is satisfaction at what they achieved, cash for the workers.

Se0samh

Yes, but the more difficult the loopholes are to find, the more expensive is the advice and the less beneficial it becomes..........

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com

SeanieFitz

No doubt that it took a huge amount of work by the people involved, it looked like a lost cause from the outside, all the negotiators will get out of it is satisfaction at what they achieved, cash for the workers.
I expect a negative reaction from some for pointing out the following, this is yet another example of the benefits of union membership/support. There are many on here would discourage workers from joining a union however union membership for workers is hugely important and significantly reduces the risk of some employers taking advantage of their workers.

Se0samh

I expect a negative reaction from some for pointing out the following, this is yet another example of the benefits of union membership/support. There are many on here would discourage workers from joining a union however union membership for workers is hugely important and significantly reduces the risk of some employers taking advantage of their workers.
True, I have had many disputes and differences with officials and leadership, but the benefits of membership are clear.........best, cheapest insurance policy you can buy................

Shannon73

Considering the way Derry people were ill-treated, I have no problem in accepting his standing-up for the Nationalists. My sister lives in the North and I know a lot of what was done by the B Specials etc to neighbours whom they knew well. Pacifists can only take so much.
He has to be given credit for keeping the GFA on course and was justified in taking his last stand against Arlene Foster, who aggravates myself as she behaves like was done back in the 70s and 80s.
I am not a SF/IRA supporter under any guise, but I feel M. McG was streets ahead of his colleagues. Had he been in 26 County politics, I think SF would be much further ahead in number of seats
Go ndéana Dia trócaire ar a anam uasal.

automaticforthepeople

Fair play to SIPTU who fought for their members and also to the Lord Mayor of Dublin who facilitated the process. It restores your faith in politics.

Se0samh

Considering the way Derry people were ill-treated, I have no problem in accepting his standing-up for the Nationalists. My sister lives in the North and I know a lot of what was done by the B Specials etc to neighbours whom they knew well. Pacifists can only take so much.
He has to be given credit for keeping the GFA on course and was justified in taking his last stand against Arlene Foster, who aggravates myself as she behaves like was done back in the 70s and 80s.
I am not a SF/IRA supporter under any guise, but I feel M. McG was streets ahead of his colleagues. Had he been in 26 County politics, I think SF would be much further ahead in number of seats
Go ndéana Dia trócaire ar a anam uasal.

I think you have posted on the wrong thread..................:oops:

Sister Mercedes

Had Ms Foley been a man I've no doubt the media would have turned her name into a byword for the worst of capitalist behavior. As it is, most people will never have heard of her.

gerhard dengler

If the former Clery's workers are satisfied, then I'm happy for them and the outcome.

However the way the takeover of Clery's was done still stinks. And this was all done under the watch of the Oireachtas.

Betson

Had Ms Foley been a man I've no doubt the media would have turned her name into a byword for the worst of capitalist behavior. As it is, most people will never have heard of her.

On the radio this morning someone was praising her saying as a women she had shown compassion etc etc.

Totally ignoring the fact that it was her unethical behaviour causing all this and the only reason she agreed to a settlement for the workers was because the development was been held up and they were losing big money over it.

Also interesting to hear The Dublin Mayor who brokered the deal saying he felt as a labour mayor he had a duty to the full time workers there , this was in response to a question he was asked about the concession holders , who seemingly are still left high and dry. The Mayor seemed very dismissive of their plight.

New Threads

Most Replies