Good news for young INTO members

SeanieFitz

Congrats to young INTO members on their (modest) pay increase from January 2017, hopefully ASTI members will succeed in their struggle. can anyone clarify what is the position with young teachers who are not in a union, will they benefit from this increase?
Pay gap of up to

stakerwallace

Congrats to young INTO members on their (modest) pay increase from January 2017, hopefully ASTI members will succeed in their struggle. can anyone clarify what is the position with young teachers who are not in a union, will they benefit from this increase?
Pay gap of up to

Not in a union? I'd imagine the sector they work in be it primary, secondary or TUI related is the key to that one. If you are a primary teacher but not in INTO I expect you will get the rise.

SeanieFitz

Not in a union? I'd imagine the sector they work in be it primary, secondary or TUI related is the key to that one. If you are a primary teacher but not in INTO I expect you will get the rise.
Thanks, was just wondering where they stood. I expect many young, recently employed but yet to join a union, teachers will opt for INTO

Dynamo

Pay gap of up to
Department of education circular will issue outlining revised pay rates to apply to all teachers (unless specifically named). no difference between union and non union

SeanieFitz

Department of education circular will issue outlining revised pay rates to apply to all teachers (unless specifically named). no difference between union and non union
Interesting, ASTI will be under pressure to deliver for their members

Mushroom

I expect many young, recently employed but yet to join a union, teachers will opt for INTO
I expect that most of them will pile in - not necessarily due to any particular affection for trade unionism per se - but so they can avail of the cheap car insurance packages and the other financial benefits available to members of the Teaching Unions.

Dynamo

Interesting, ASTI will be under pressure to deliver for their members
it will be interesting to see how D/Ed deal with it. if there is in effect a cash dividend (ie new payment rate) not to be in the ASTI it will certainly put ASTI under pressure, especially as they don't appear to have any coherent plan going forward. While I suspect ICTU would like to se the issue resolved there is little or no sympathy for ASTI approach out there among other PS unions, and likely to be less as we enter next phase of PS pay talks. further concessions from Government this side of pay talks also look very unlikely.

SeanieFitz

I expect that most of them will pile in - not necessarily due to any particular affection for trade unionism per se - but so they can avail of the cheap car insurance packages and the other financial benefits available to members of the Teaching Unions.

I was not aware of that, I do know that IFA members also benefit from such discounts and other benefits. I expect it is common amongst representative organisations

SeanieFitz

it will be interesting to see how D/Ed deal with it. if there is in effect a cash dividend (ie new payment rate) not to be in the ASTI it will certainly put ASTI under pressure, especially as they don't appear to have any coherent plan going forward. While I suspect ICTU would like to se the issue resolved there is little or no sympathy for ASTI approach out there among other PS unions, and likely to be less as we enter next phase of PS pay talks. further concessions from Government this side of pay talks also look very unlikely.
My feeling all along is that ASTI are on a loser here, they won't win this one

Dynamo

[/U]
I was not aware of that, I do know that IFA members also benefit from such discounts and other benefits. I expect it is common amongst representative organisations
Many unions have group schemes for insurance (which allow them cheaper insurance in some instances).Similar to the group scheme operated for VHI (and some other providers) which some business have. Teacher unions may have group schemes with Insurance companies I am aware of many PS unions having such schemes.
they are usually sought by Insurance company as a way to attract multiple clients in one go.

Dynamo

My feeling all along is that ASTI are on a loser here, they won't win this one
Yep, suspect most recent proposal was about them saving face more than anything.Recommending members rejection is lemmings stuff.

GrainneDee

Thanks, was just wondering where they stood. I expect many young, recently employed but yet to join a union, teachers will opt for INTO
They can't join the INTO unless they are primary teachers. And primary teachers can't join the other unions.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies