Good Riddance to JobBridge

ireallyshouldknowbetter

JobBridge is to be wound down from Friday. The controversial scheme was widely abused by employers as a source of free labour, and Fianna Fail pledged to abolish it before the election. It will be replaced with a more dignified scheme which will at least pay minimum wage.

Much as it pains me to say it, fair play to Fianna Fail. They have already done more to moderate FG's radical right wing policies than Labour did in five years in office.

Apologies if there is a thread on this already, I started this because I couldn't find one.

"Our view is that it has done the job it was asked to do" - JobBridge to be wound down from Friday

JOBBRIDGE IS CLOSING to new applicants from Friday and is set to be replaced with a new programme.
A new scheme will take its place, the minister said today, which will pay people at least the minimum wage.

Dynamo

JobBridge is to be wound down from Friday. The controversial scheme was widely abused by employers as a source of free labour, and Fianna Fail pledged to abolish it before the election. It will be replaced with a more dignified scheme which will at least pay minimum wage.

Much as it pains me to say it, fair play to Fianna Fail. They have already done more to moderate FG's radical right wing policies than Labour did in five years in office.

Apologies if there is a thread on this already, I started this because I couldn't find one.

"Our view is that it has done the job it was asked to do" - JobBridge to be wound down from Friday
Ireland finally gets around to abolishing slavery hoorah

Franzoni

If previous form is anything to go the supporters and cronies of FFG have already had the heads up on the next stroke being formulated and are putting themselves into the necessary positions to benefit......

hammer

What were all those statistics today from Indecon ?

70% of those persons that used it were positive about it.

Jaysus if p.ie posters were asked it would have been 95% negative. Go figure :)

Hunter-Gatherer

the sham scheme is dead. Longlive the sham scheme.

ireallyshouldknowbetter

Not entirely positive about it. More than half of them were unhappy with the level of payment.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Well it will be even more appreciated now.
By who? I don't appreciate my taxes going on corporate social welfare.

If a company cannot survive without schemes like or whatever will replace it, they should be allowed fail - that's capitalism, something people seem to have forgotten.

Are you a communist?

im axeled

according to todays press briefings only 40 employers abused the scheme, do you agree

im axeled

so 70% of folks were happy to work for nothing
the department of the t-shok had people from it,
i ewonder how many shills had to work for nothing,
bad enough to work for nothing, but to fight the trousering partys corner, now that had to be bad, but not as bad as having to promote the lieabout/stickie/dissos

redacted

Tough $hit for the 30% though eh?

Sister Mercedes

It was abused, mostly by the county councils who 'hired' people on Jobbridge when there was an embargo on recruitment and no chance of them being kept on after the scheme ended.

SamsonS

by who, not the poor misfortunates who were forced on it, the lack of free labour by the so called free market participants definatly
.....and the charities. They are likely to be most severely impacted.

Smithy12

Jobbridge was mostly a voluntary program not sure why people felt is needed to go. There is plenty of other government schemes that are not voluntary. TUS is way worse then Jobbridge because its work you forced to do and you have no say in refusing the work.

redacted

Jobbridge was mostly a voluntary program not sure why people felt is needed to go. There is plenty of other government schemes that are not voluntary. TUS is way worse then Jobbridge because its work you forced to do and you have no say in refusing the work.
What exactly does "mostly voluntary" mean?

GDPR

Ireland finally gets around to abolishing slavery hoorah
Lets hope the replacement is at least as good.

One of my own sons got the job of his dreams out of it, now well paid, permanent and pensionable.

Smithy12

What exactly does "mostly voluntary" mean?
Well i was on Welfare for about 4 months 2 years ago (working now) and i was asked would i apply for Jobbridge jobs. It was not forced they just tried to nudge me in that direction to apply. Thats what i mean by mostly.

New Threads

Most Replies