• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Goodbody say "not enough taxis"

roc_

I thought I'd resurrect the foregoing p.ie thread title from 2009, unfortunately wiped from the internet forever by our erstwhile Canadian friend.

That old thread referred to this report - https://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/taxi-reg/economic-review-spsv-industry.pdf

Now, the reason I raise it today is because of this story breaking - Taxi scam involving 180 non-EU nationals uncovered in Dublin - reports | BreakingNews.ie

In other words, for good or bad, some good immigrants took it upon themselves to try and subvert the Irish taxi cartel.

Now, we all know what native Irish taxi drivers are like. They're going to go off the deep end on this, and likely use it to try and fortify their cartel, as well as undoubtedly take the opportunity to air some of their "opinions".

How should we, the normal non-taxi driver public react?

silverharp

Self driving taxis in 10 years? problem solved

agamemnon

Those involved are from the Indian sub Continent and Afghanistan.

After all most taxi drivers in some parts of the UK are from the same areas or ethnicity, what could possibly go wrong ;)

agamemnon

Those involved are from the Indian sub Continent and Afghanistan.

After all most taxi drivers in some parts of the UK are from the same areas or ethnicity, what could possibly go wrong ;)

Herr Rommel

Another reason I have to feel good about not using a cab unless the driver is white.

Politics matters

Another reason I have to feel good about not using a cab unless the driver is white.
We will all have to boycott the services of foreign taxi drivers.

Remember Leo implied that it was wascist for Irish taxi drivers to display a green light on their cabs?

Clanrickard

Main one being you are a racist gowl?
Yes. A whole thread on politicalirsh where people are saying the same thing. Many won't get into a taxi unless the drivers white. Well within their rights I suppose but disappointing.

Herr Rommel

Main one being you are a racist gowl?
And have some African or Indian who has perfect English when I get into the cab forget the language while behind the wheel take me on a half and hour journey which should only be five minutes ?

My money my choice.

rainmaker

Administrator
Yes. A whole thread on politicalirsh where people are saying the same thing. Many won't get into a taxi unless the drivers white. Well within their rights I suppose but disappointing.
Also unsurprising given the neo Nazi leaning of the site.

silverharp

a Spanish girl at work "im not racist but I wont get into a taxi with a black man" ,doesn't bother me I wont get into a taxi that doesn't look maintained or is old

rainmaker

Administrator
Free speech really frightens you ?

It must be terrible for you having no power beyond this site.
Not at all. I am just pointing out the fact that it is a neo Nazi leaning site.

I could care less what goes on there, I just replied to a poster who mentioned the place.

raetsel

get Uber up and running first
I spend time in London occasionally and use Uber all the time, more for the sheer convenience than from a cost point of view.
It really is a fantastic service, knowing exactly where you car is in advance of picking you up, and having the ability to pinpoint your location to within metres. Also knowing within a fixed range what it will cost in advance is superb.

Most of our bigoted friends would be thoroughly uncomfortable with the London Uber service though, as the drivers are largely Asian or African by ethnicity. :)

2lazy

I spend time in London occasionally and use Uber all the time, more for the sheer convenience than from a cost point of view.
It really is a fantastic service, knowing exactly where you car is in advance of picking you up, and having the ability to pinpoint your location to within metres. Also knowing within a fixed range what it will cost in advance is superb.

Most of our bigoted friends would be thoroughly uncomfortable with the London Uber service though, as the drivers are largely Asian or African by ethnicity. :)
I'm a huge fan - I'm all in favor of Uber treating its drivers a bit better - but the service is first class

silverharp

In the past I guess one thing was that taxi driver was a good second career for someone that might have been laid off or whatnot in their 50’s and wouldn’t realistically be able to get back into paid employment. Now its probably not much better than minimum wage with all the hassle and uncertainty of accidents, personal safety etc. , good old neoliberalism at play

raetsel

I'm a huge fan - I'm all in favor of Uber treating its drivers a bit better - but the service is first class
I agree. Cost is secondary as long as the charges are fair to both sides.

2lazy

I agree. Cost is secondary as long as the charges are fair to both sides.
The biggest concern is that Uber might get a monopoly on service allowing them after pushing local drivers out of the market to up their prices - that why its always good to user alternatives like Lyft if available to keep some competition.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies