Google hit with 2.4 Billion Fine by EU Commission

jmcc

Seems that Google has been hit with a 2.4 Billion Euro fine by the EU commission over its shopping services. Basically it was demoting competitors and promoting its own shopping service.

Google hit with record EU fine over Shopping service - BBC News

It is a rather large fine and Google has to take action to stop its manipulation within 90 days or face further fines.

Clanrickard

Seems that Google has been hit with a 2.4 Billion Euro fine by the EU commission over its shopping services. Basically it was demoting competitors and promoting its own shopping service.

It is a rather large fine and Google has to take action to stop its manipulation within 90 days or face further fines.
Ouch! Well those fat Eurocrat salaries won't pay themselves.

Clanrickard

Didn't you claim to have worked "for" the European Commission? Perhaps all those contractors have to be paid too. :)
With the European Commission. I was doing the contracts they were paying for. I was one small cog in the machine. The contractors were tendering so they were not exactly getting rich. I was the little boy with his nose against the window of the well stocked sweet shop.

Spanner Island

It is good to see tech monoliths like Google being taken on by the EU.

The UK will have f*** all chance of influencing them once they've left the EU.

Saturninus

With Google controlling about 80% of search engine traffic, it's necassary for regulators to step in and ensure fairness.

It's similar to fines against Microsoft for having their web browser preloaded.

darkhorse

Well done EU commission for insisting on a level playing pitch for EU businesses.
Even more important now with Britain abandoning those principles.

james toney

Thats a very hefty fine....maybe Google will appeal.

jmcc

With the European Commission. I was doing the contracts they were paying for. I was one small cog in the machine. The contractors were tendering so they were not exactly getting rich. I was the little boy with his nose against the window of the well stocked sweet shop.
Just remember the EUnuchs wine and dine for you so that you don't have to. :) Still though, this was a serious interference in the marketplace by Google and it deserved to be hit with a fine of this magnitude.

Se0samh

With Google controlling about 80% of search engine traffic, it's necassary for regulators to step in and ensure fairness.

It's similar to fines against Microsoft for having their web browser preloaded.

Will run and run though, Intel still fighting it's 1.1 billion fine from 2009...

jmcc

It is good to see tech monoliths like Google being taken on by the EU.

The UK will have f*** all chance of influencing them once they've left the EU.
Actually they will have more influence in the UK market and the ability to fine Google if necessary. This case has taken years to get this far.

Mick Mac

Will this precipitate a migration to Bing?

The EU hits another large American company with a fine. President Trump met Google execs last week. Wonder what they said about this.

tipofdiceberg

A trough snouter by definition?

jmcc

Will this precipitate a migration to Bing?
Not so sure that it will. Bing has always been a second choice search engine due to making a bit of a balls of the whole Search business. Google is really an advertising company with a search engine and mail service.

Mick Mac

Not so sure that it will. Bing has always been a second choice search engine due to making a bit of a balls of the whole Search business. Google is really an advertising company with a search engine and mail service.
The thing about Bing is it instinctively knows what I do not want.

Yeah, a data company with various whizzes to exploit it was another description and that explains the car ventures etc.

New Threads

Most Replies