• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Google removes Iona Institute account from YouTube

ShoutingIsLeadership

Iona account removed from YouTube - The Irish Times - Tue, Jan 22, 2013

Google has refused to explain why it has closed the YouTube account of the Iona Institute.

The account of the conservative Catholic think tank was closed today 'due to repeated or severe violations of our terms of service'.

When Google spokeswoman was asked what the 'repeated violations' were she would not comment ?'n an individual account' referring instead to YouTube's community guidelines.
Will there be a march on the Google offices?

Sister Mercedes

I'm pro-choice and pro-gay marriage, but this smacks of the sort of censorship that Google is supposed to be against.

borntorum

Youtube allows any old crap to be put up on its servers, so it's strange to see that they've banned this group

Ryan Tubbs

This smacks of censorship, in a big way.

The Iona Institute may be (errrm) pretty passionate, but they are intelligent and pretty moderate compared to most groups who use Youtube for various reasons.

Astral Peaks

This is bizarre, methinks the Iona folk should lawyer up and start action.

Hitch 22

This is the offending video:

[video=youtube;wopoEJxFYQw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wopoEJxFYQw[/video]

Last edited:

borntorum

This is bizarre, methinks the Iona folk should lawyer up and start action.
I don't know what the Youtube terms of use are, but it's a private site, presumably they can ban who they like.

This smacks of overly-censorious 'librul' googlers in the Dublin office not favouring free speech for social conservatives. That would be fair enough if they applied that policy across the board, but loads of ultra-offensive and disgusting content is allowed on that site, including footage of killings. So what's wrong with the Iona Institute? Did they breach the no-nipple rule???

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

No doubt Iona are going to milk this for everything it's not worth.

justreadin

Google are strong on Human rights , which this issue is , we will have to wait 30 years to marvel at how these anti-choice people were even afforded a platform in the media. We are a young country and though we may think we are well educated and modern people , we are very backward and ignorant....

Remember 25 years ago these people were telling us we couldn't have condoms

borntorum

Google are strong on Human rights , which this issue is , we will have to wait 30 years to marvel at how these anti-choice people were even afforded a platform in the media. We are a young country and though we may think we are well educated and modern people , we are very backward and ignorant....

Remember 25 years ago these people were telling us we couldn't have condoms
Speak for yourself

Bill

is that china I see

Hitch 22

Meanwhile Youtube allows videos like this :lol:

[video=youtube;W4g2b5ziAs4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4g2b5ziAs4&bpctr=1358863218[/video]

skiii

YouTube has been making a stand on porography so, in a strange way,the action is an apt one as both strains of belief reduce women to the status of objects.

LamportsEdge

The only thing I can think of is that Google/You Tube may have policies of their own which commit them to equal treatment of gay people. They MAY have decided that the Iona Institute's position with regard to those rights do not fit with their own policies.

As a private entity in that case they would be entitled to remove the Institute in the same way they would be entitled to remove other channels set up by organisations which don't fit in their ethical polices?

I should say this is entirely hypothetical on my part but consider the rules here which are operated privately rather than under the conditions of free speech and so on. The argument goes that it is a private concern and therefore subject to whatever conditions the Irish Tim-, er, David feels is right.

Cruimh

Yeah, and why wouldn't they?

If they have been censored for political reasons, it was a pretty short sighted move
Have they been attacking or demeaning ?

YouTube

We encourage free speech and defend everyone's right to express unpopular points of view. But we do not permit hate speech (speech which attacks or demeans a group based on race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status and sexual orientation/gender identity).
(Italics down to me )